Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 29, 12, 1:27 am   #91
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
I tried to Search it Earlier in Other Threads but i Couldn't Find it - Thanks for the Link . I will refer it
jawadkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 12, 10:29 am   #92
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 1 au
Programs: AA, UA, US, SPG, OZ Infant Science Training Course, BEST Upper Deck, Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Posts: 2,705
Read through this thread, there is good info here. If you just need a rough estimate, it would be 35% of the dutiable amount, which would cost you about 5000 INR.
__________________
2013: CCU HYD BOM SIN TPE HKG SYD JFK ORD CLE RDU LHR CDG ZRH FRA KIX
2014: HKG ICN KIX FRA ORD

Last edited by AJLondon; Dec 30, 12 at 11:10 am. Reason: Removed quoted post which no longer exists.
Mr. Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 13, 1:43 am   #93
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tianjin China
Posts: 3
Custom duty in delhi airport for 46"LED TV from china

Hello,

1.I'd like to bring a 46" LED tv from china to india,what is the customs fee in delhi airport? (Tv cost around 42,000 INR)
2.I am Travelling With Air china,Will the Air Lines Allow me to Take a 46" tv in check in Check in baggage (TV weight 24Kg).
3.how about domestic flight from Delhi to lucknow ,wheather they will allow to carry on check in baggage ?
4.And how if domestic travel by train,is it possible to carry the TV on AC2 Tier coach?

Anyone bring a large screen TV as checked-in baggage? plz suggest me.
Narendra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 13, 2:47 am   #94
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narendra1 View Post
Hello,

1.I'd like to bring a 46" LED tv from china to india,what is the customs fee in delhi airport? (Tv cost around 42,000 INR)
2.I am Travelling With Air china,Will the Air Lines Allow me to Take a 46" tv in check in Check in baggage (TV weight 24Kg).
3.how about domestic flight from Delhi to lucknow ,wheather they will allow to carry on check in baggage ?
4.And how if domestic travel by train,is it possible to carry the TV on AC2 Tier coach?

Anyone bring a large screen TV as checked-in baggage? plz suggest me.
1. Tax free allowance is Rs 35k.. so if you can prove u paid INR 42k, you need to pay ~ 35% tax on 7000 ( 42k - 35k)..
2.Check with the airline.. usually they shd not have a problem if within your checked bag limited.
3. Refer to pt 2.
4. Where do u plan to store this in the compartment ? Its big IIRC..better to book it in train luggage if u can take the risk..
abhilife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 13, 6:56 am   #95
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere near a Airstrip
Programs: Who Cares, THEY don't !
Posts: 507
Reg #1, the amount you paid will not be considered, Customs has a big list of TVs and their prices in India, they match with that and charge accordingly.
Whizkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 13, 10:58 pm   #96
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tianjin China
Posts: 3
Thanks for suggestion.
Actually I m bringing Tv from china,and specification are same as indian Tv,so i think specification is not a issue.
Narendra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 13, 9:03 pm   #97
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tianjin China
Posts: 3
Hello,
last week i bring one LED46" 3D TV from China to india,
1: Air lines(Air China) Ask to pay extra Baggage charge (450 RMB).
2: Delhi Airport Custom Officer Ask to pay duty,they told from china only 6k is limit,more than that need to pay duty.
3: And worse thing ,Handling baggage is really bad in india,plz pack it propoerly.
Narendra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 13, 9:24 pm   #98
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narendra1 View Post
Hello,
last week i bring one LED46" 3D TV from China to india,
1: Air lines(Air China) Ask to pay extra Baggage charge (450 RMB).
2: Delhi Airport Custom Officer Ask to pay duty,they told from china only 6k is limit,more than that need to pay duty.
3: And worse thing ,Handling baggage is really bad in india,plz pack it propoerly.
The customs limit is clearly mentioned in the customs website http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm as well as the arrival immigration form..
Wrt point 3, there is always a risk that tv gets damaged due to improper handling..
abhilife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 11:04 am   #99
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; US; DL
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
The customs limit is clearly mentioned in the customs website http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm as well as the arrival immigration form..
Wrt point 3, there is always a risk that tv gets damaged due to improper handling..
I would not a large appliance unless as part of major relocation with insured shipping paid by someone else (ie, my employers). My concern wouldn't be Customs, but damage and warranty. Even without shipping damage, a problem could arise later and you may find yourself without warranty coverage.

Just buy a TV in India. They are all made in China anyway. Why not let somebody else deal with shipping and Customs hassles?
aktchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 7:18 pm   #100
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
I would not a large appliance unless as part of major relocation with insured shipping paid by someone else (ie, my employers). My concern wouldn't be Customs, but damage and warranty. Even without shipping damage, a problem could arise later and you may find yourself without warranty coverage.

Just buy a TV in India. They are all made in China anyway. Why not let somebody else deal with shipping and Customs hassles?
Many folks prefer to get it from bkk / china etc since the total landed cost is less by about 30-35% approx even after considering all the hassles..But yes, warranty is a big problem if anything happens to the tv in the 1st year( as thats the usual warranty coverage period)..
abhilife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 7:33 pm   #101
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tainan, Taiwan
Posts: 11,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
Many folks prefer to get it from bkk / china etc since the total landed cost is less by about 30-35% approx even after considering all the hassles..But yes, warranty is a big problem if anything happens to the tv in the 1st year( as thats the usual warranty coverage period)..
I dunno. To me, saving 30-35% is not worth the hassles of importing combined with the risks of damage during shipment and the loss of warranty coverage. Not even close. YMMV.
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Skyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 7:39 pm   #102
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman65 View Post
I dunno. To me, saving 30-35% is not worth the hassles of importing combined with the risks of damage during shipment and the loss of warranty coverage. Not even close. YMMV.
+1 ..but yes ppl do this and its not once I have seen this but many many times
abhilife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 13, 2:41 am   #103
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Well I Am Back to China now ..Let Me Share my Experience Of Taking 40Inch LED to India.

As i had Posted Earlier i was Leaving for India on January 10, So the Day Before Leaving I Packed EVerything and I Came to Know that i Was Running Excess of 10Kgs

And The Worst thing was i needed to Travel first From Domestic Airport to Other Airport with in China . ( Hangzhou to Guangzhou ). The China Southern Airlines Normally Allow Baggage of 20+7 Kgs -- And i was Having with me 45Kgs . OOps

At the Check in Counter he Took 3 Bags and Another Tv of my Friend , Excluding My TV - And said he cant Take Any more So Better Remove the TV He Said and said to Move from the Que - And Even said
The Counter is Closed - We were 2 People Still in Hand 4 Bags with my TV + Hand Bag (he he ) ..So we Rushed towards Boarding, as we were Short of Time Along With Our Bags , They Were Quite Confused and asked Us how come you Bring Luggage Here .
I lied to them that the Luggauge Counter was Closed so we had to Carry our Lugagge.
It Worked Well -- But Believe me i had only 10 Minutes to Get in the Flight And the Chinese Airports are big as Hell -- was Running and Running n At Some Point of time Understood that i Missed it . ( At the Same Time Remembering that my Chinese Driver said that if Something goes wrong he will Buy the TV from me infact for very Few Bucks) :-(

At Last i Was in Flight on Time -- My Luck -- Seats were Full Occupied as My Flight was Late So Just now they Changed my Flight as i had to Travel International from my Next destination . --- So i Was Allowed to Sit in the Business Class -- Was Feeling Good .

So , I reached Guangzhou Domestic Airport and then Moved to International Terminal and Found Out Malaysian Airlines Counter was Closed - I was Late by 15 Minutes , And the Next Flight was After 24 Hours . --- Ohh What Can be Worst then this ) .

Then One Sweet Chinese Young Girl -who works in Malaysian Airlines was Going Around -- I Went to her and had a talk with her - She Understood by Seeing my Face What i was Going Through -- She said ok ok , Let me Change your Ticket into China Southern Airlines
till Malaysia . And The Fee was low 150RMB .

I rested for 3 hours and Then Made Boarding pass with Excess Luggage - the same Girl Was there at Check in so there was no Problem Of Luggauge this Time . She Applied a Fragile Sticker and said me to give my LED TV to Heavy Luggauge Department.

And At Last After Cathcing Another Flight from Malaysia ( Via) I reached Hyderabad . At 12 .When we were about to Arrive i noticed in the Arrival Card - The Limit of Valuable item i can bring from China was Only 6000Rupees , for Other Countries it was 42,000RS.
Oh My God ~ What a Tough Time ~ I was Going Through .

I cleared Immigration , Some People were There Who Were Also Taking TV's with them but it was Under 32Inch and mine was Looking Huge --So i reminded myself he does not know that i am coming from china -- if he asks i will tell him that i am coming from malaysia - later if got caught can say i am coming from malaysian airlines -Its funny i Know But i did not had Any Other Option -- Because of the Limit 6,000 Rs .

So finally the Custom People Eyes Were Large by Seeing a LED TV With Sony Logo-- they Called me , And Talked With Me - His Name was Subra Manyam - A Black Guy in a White Customs Officer Uniform . Was Seeing Black man After a Year and Now Have to Argue with him - i thought it my mind .

So he Asked me 40Inch Led ?? I said yes -- So the tax will be 7500Rs. So i Should Pay it . I said what ?? Oh My God i was Expecting 3000 Rs.
Later we had a Talk like Uncle and Nephew as i was 23 years Old , lol
So i started testing him now - i asked him what is the Method of Duty Calculation , he was not Able to Answer me - He said for 40'inch people pay 7500 .What the .... i thought . I started to Check his patience now - By Asking About Rules - As i was Familiar with them after seeing a Couple of Posts before departing china .

He Asked me Slowly - Pay me Money and then Leave ..No One Will Know .
I Said him - i dont have money -- I Had Spent All the money in Shopping .
Just Left with $20 USD in My Pocket And Will use it to take a taxi for Home.

Senior Officer was Hearing our Conversation from a long time - and he understood they had Caught a Wrong Fish , lol -- they said they will Seize the TV and i can Take the TV from them Later when i got the Money -- Are they Kidding ? no they are not --they were Desperate About Money --He Suggested Airports also have Atms . I said but i dont have a Atm with me . Lol, i was testing there patience -He he

They Opened there Mouth Wide And Asked Pay 40USD and then Leave (40$=2200RS).
Well it was Ok for me -- But i was Greedy that time and also Thought Should Play with them more .

And Finally i Showed my Wallet on Camera - he was frightened Till Death -- he said do not do it - Camera are watching -- Just Keep the Money on my Counter and Go.

FInally After a Long Bargaining Session I paid him 1400 RS .

So I had mentioned you All About my Worst & Wonderful Experience - well Its Upto You --You want to Take it or not -- But i feel Good What a Wonderful Experience It Was , Though good or bad -- But It will Make me Feel Good whenever i remember About it .

And Guys Its Worth Taking LED TV But Above 40Inch Will be More Good - I Bought this TV at 27,000RS ...Its Price in India is 60,000Rs .
Hehe

Regards,
Khan
jawadkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 13, 2:52 am   #104
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tainan, Taiwan
Posts: 11,503
IMO, few deals, however attractive they may seem on paper, are worth sacrificing your integrity.
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Skyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 13, 3:01 am   #105
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Posts: 21,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman65 View Post
IMO, few deals, however attractive they may seem on paper, are worth sacrificing your integrity.
i agree....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 pm.