Reload this Page >

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Old May 1, 2012, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
For allowance refer to this.

For tariff see here (pp. 562).

Most likely, the tariff will be 10% of the dutiable value over your allowance (₹25,000)

That would be 10% of the dutiable amount (₹35,000), which would be ₹3,500
The duty is 35% and not 10%. For personal baggage, section 9804 of Customs Tariff rules is applicable. I think, the link you provided is meant for importers, not passengers importing goods as a part of their baggage. One has to be careful with rules.

Last edited by Yaatri; May 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by Yaatri
The duty is 35% and not 10%. For personal baggage, section 9804 of Customs Tariff rules is applicable. I think, the link you provided is meant for importers, not passengers importing goods as a part of their baggage. One has to be careful with rules.
Good catch.

Here is the link to that:

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0910/chap-98.pdf

EDIT: Oddly enough, after going through the various notices cited in that chapter, I can't find a single one that refers to televisions...

Last edited by Mr. Bean; May 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Good catch.

Here is the link to that:

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0910/chap-98.pdf

EDIT: Oddly enough, after going through the various notices cited in that chapter, I can't find a single one that refers to televisions...
Items are not mentioned separately. They have been broadly categorised into Drugs and Chemicals, all other goods, Alcohol. tobacco and motor vehicles. The following is from page 44 of Customs Manual Customs Manual 2012
Apparently, it is for official use. Baggage rules are summarised in links given elsewhere in this thread.

6. Baggage:
6.1 All goods imported by a passenger or a member of crew in his baggage are classifiable under Tariff Heading 9803 and levied to a single rate of duty. Such goods need not be classified separately in the Tariff. However, Tariff Heading 9803 does not apply tomotor vehicles, alcoholic drinks, and goods imported through courier service. Such assessment will also not apply to goods imported by a passenger or a member of the crew under an import license or a customs clearance permit.
7. Postal imports for personal use:
7.1 All goods imported by Post or Air for personal use are classifiable under a single Tariff Heading 9804 and levied to duty accordingly. This heading has been sub divided into two subheadings, one applicable to drugs and medicines and the other, to the balance items so imported. Such goods will however be governed by the FTP as far their importability is concerned. Motor vehicles, alcoholic drinks and goods imported through courier service can however not be classified under this heading. Goods imported under an import license or a customs clearance permit will however not be classified under this tariff heading.
It's clear that one must consider this issue very carefully before one decides to import a television into India. With the cost of excess baggage, duty, hassle, service and warranty, issues, it's much better to buy a TV in India.

I know there is a lure for phoreign goods. What if the damn thing doesn't work? Once in a while it does happen. A TV I bought did not work right out of the box. Now Samsung and LG are desirable brands. There was a time when they were considered shoddy, even in the U.S. Indians are very brand conscious.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
I bought a Samsung 46" D8000 model .. total price paid THB 48k and including duty etc should be less than INR 95k.. same is selling in india for about 1.45L..
This weighs around 20kgs so should not be a problem as I am travelling this sector frequently and dont hv much baggage otherwise..

Last edited by Babu; May 2, 2012 at 6:35 am
Old May 2, 2012, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I bought a Samsung 46" D8000 model .. total price paid THB 48k and including duty etc should be less than INR 95k.. same is selling in india for about 1.45L..
This weighs around 20kgs so should not be a problem as I am travelling this sector frequently and dont hv much baggage otherwise..
48k THB is an excellent price for that TV.
I think your calculation is based on Rs35000 duty free allowance, which I think is still 25,000. The duty is actually 35% plus 3% education surcharge adding to 36.05% calculated on the "value" not the price you paid. This brings the cost up to just over a lakh, (assuming 48k THB valuation) yielding a saving of about Rs 40k-- not a small amount. Assumption that the customs officer will accept 48k THB as the value for calculating duty is also questionable.
As to excess baggage charges, I thought you have to pay for over sized baggage.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a big item like TV in one country for personal for use in another. I would also not agree to take one for anyone else. There are issues other than the price, duty baggage fees etc also. Occasionally it makes people angry.

Last edited by Yaatri; May 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 12:04 am

Personally, I wouldn't buy a big item like TV in one country for personal for use in another. I would also not agree to take one for anyone else. There are issues other than the price, duty baggage fees etc also. Occasionally it makes people angry.
AFAIK from folks who do carry tv's frequently to India, 35k is the limit now ( though I was also surprised as budget has not yet been passed)..Even the shopkeeper confirmed that its 35k..

Personally, even I feel if the price difference is less then it does not make sense.. In this instant case, its a close relative who asked me to get it and I made him aware of all the risks etc..

Thanks for all the info.. I am travelling tomorrow to DEL and will update next week on the experience..
Old May 3, 2012, 6:40 pm
Suspended

AFAIK from folks who do carry tv's frequently to India, 35k is the limit now ( though I was also surprised as budget has not yet been passed)..Even the shopkeeper confirmed that its 35k..

Personally, even I feel if the price difference is less then it does not make sense.. In this instant case, its a close relative who asked me to get it and I made him aware of all the risks etc..

Thanks for all the info.. I am travelling tomorrow to DEL and will update next week on the experience..
Relatives are pests aren't they? You did all you could to explain risks involved. Good luck with your encounter with the customs.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:59 am

Relatives are pests aren't they? You did all you could to explain risks involved. Good luck with your encounter with the customs.
Customs calculated duty @ 36.5% on 95000-35000 = approx Rs 21600..
they said they dont consider the price paid for the tv but take the price in india for the same as reference.. so they ignored my purchase price of appx 80k and took 95k as reference stating that this tv is priced more than 1.25L in india and they calculating taking a price of only 95k instead of 125k..
Old May 8, 2012, 9:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
oi... now that you successfully imported a TV you should be in for a nice shopping list from everyone who knows you...
Old May 8, 2012, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
oi... now that you successfully imported a TV you should be in for a nice shopping list from everyone who knows you...
should start taking carrying charge like the couriers in these routes

Old May 8, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I had to do that going to EZE. One of my coworkers wanted me to ship tons of stuff down there to save his relatives the IVA.
Luckily I have EXP...
Old May 16, 2012, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Customs calculated duty @ 36.5% on 95000-35000 = approx Rs 21600..
they said they dont consider the price paid for the tv but take the price in india for the same as reference.. so they ignored my purchase price of appx 80k and took 95k as reference stating that this tv is priced more than 1.25L in india and they calculating taking a price of only 95k instead of 125k..
So for all the troubles you took,they saved about Rs 7000/- People suddenly feeling imminent the need to send something or have it brought, when someone is travelling, is very annoying.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:57 am

Indian airport customs how much they are charging 42" led TV
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:00 am

Airlines 42" led allowed ?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SaDiK
Airlines 42" led allowed ?
pretty much everything is allowed if you are willing to pay the duty....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.