Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:21 am

@keyser... how much did it cost extra for your50 inch tv? and will that amount be the same in saudi as well?

@expetsomchai...thanks for the link, but its from 2008. And what does it mean? If tv costs 60000, I have to pay 35% of 60,000 minus 25,000 ie 35% of 35000...rs 12,250 extra only?

@snod08,b747-437b,...thanks for the reply
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by waseemmik
@keyser... how much did it cost extra for your50 inch tv? and will that amount be the same in saudi as well?
i don't want to reveal my spending in a public forum but like i said before, the same tv was almost 40% cheaper in dubai....saudi will be a little more expensive than dubai but still cheaper than india....

@expetsomchai...thanks for the link, but its from 2008. And what does it mean? If tv costs 60000, I have to pay 35% of 60,000 minus 25,000 ie 35% of 35000...rs 12,250 extra only?
correct....unless you have other goods as well....the inr 25,000 duty allowance is not per item but on the total value of goods you are getting into the country....
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keyser
i disagree....there is a big difference in price....i bought a 50 inch lcd a couple of months ago that was about 40% cheaper in dubai....even with duty it would have cost me a little less in dubai....but again, its not worth the effort....
I don;t know about prices of TV in India vs those in Dubai, but B747-437B is right about warranty part. There are different types of warranties, some are specific to the market where the item is sold and some are international. Some countries do not allow certain exclusions. If you live in the U.S. and buy an electronics item from say, Singapore, you will probably have a less generous warranty. It;s best to buy major electronics in the country where you stay.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I don;t know about prices of TV in India vs those in Dubai, but B747-437B is right about warranty part. There are different types of warranties, some are specific to the market where the item is sold and some are international. Some countries do not allow certain exclusions. If you live in the U.S. and buy an electronics item from say, Singapore, you will probably have a less generous warranty. It;s best to buy major electronics in the country where you stay.
i completely agree....i bought the tv in october in india & then earlier this month i was in dubai & checked the prices there....it turned out to be much cheaper....i felt bad for a minute but then realised that the effort of carting it back to india & the limited warranty was just not worth it....
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keyser
i completely agree....i bought the tv in october in india & then earlier this month i was in dubai & checked the prices there....it turned out to be much cheaper....i felt bad for a minute but then realised that the effort of carting it back to india & the limited warranty was just not worth it....
Now the TV's boxes are not as bulky as they used to be for CRT TVs for comparable size. You can almost find check-in counter for flights going to, or connecting with flights to India, by whether anyone has TV as a part of their check-in baggage.
Pprice might be lower, but you figure in duty, hassle, possibility of damage, there is no way I would consider transporting TV.

Disclaimer: I have taken a TV as a part of checked baggage though. I was about to leave Mississippi, I carried some of the heavier items on my rips back home. It was pre 9/11, when you didn't have to worry about leaving your car or other items unattended. The airport where I was checking in was small, all the agents knew me. I carried my TV and Microwave in their original boxes to the check-in counter, the check-in agent kep an eye on them, while I went back and forth between the car and the check-in counter, and after unloading the car, and the time it took me to park the car to the parking garage, and walk back to the counter. Of course, there was no duty involved. I had considered giving them away to charity. but am glad that I did not, as I had to continue with the project for some more years. Instead of buying another TV and a microwave, I brought them back on one of my trips.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:42 pm

Whoa ... you carried the microwave and TV back to the US?

Must be a special one

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Instead of buying another TV and a microwave, I brought them back on one of my trips.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi

Must be a special one
i believe he ment he carried it from mississippi to where ever his home was in the US....
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by malgudi

Must be a special one
Who said I carried my special TV and unique microwave it out of the U.S? I went home every weekend.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
TV prices in India are about the same as here (US) last time I checked.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ewrfox
TV prices in India are about the same as here (US) last time I checked.
in my experience there is a reasonable difference....the us is much cheaper....i just looked for a lg 55inch lcd on best buy & its available for $1,500....that would roughly be about inr 75k....the same (or equivalent) lcd here in india is available for inr 104k....
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
this is my first post, i looked a lot of threads but am not sure exactly where to post this, so posting it here.

My father bought a sony 40 inch led tv from saudi, but while he was about to sent it via cargo, they said the duty is 350% for tv size above 32inch, so now he is planning to bring it along when he comes home to India. can someone tell me how much will it cost(duty) to bring the tv from saudi to india?
For allowance refer to this.

For tariff see here (pp. 562).

Most likely, the tariff will be 10% of the dutiable value over your allowance (₹25,000)

If tv costs 60000, I have to pay 35% of 60,000 minus 25,000 ie 35% of 35000...rs 12,250 extra only?
That would be 10% of the dutiable amount (₹35,000), which would be ₹3,500

Last edited by Mr. Bean; Jan 6, 2012 at 2:05 am
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:50 am

Just bought a 40" samsung led tv from flipcart for 60k rs -- ~1200CAD. The same tv goes for 629CAD at costco.ca -- ~720 after taxes.

You could save a few hundred in this case with the 25k rs exemption... but is just simply not worth the headache of dealing with a broken tv for me.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:35 pm

My father came with the tv....the tv cost about rs 65000 in saudi, the same cost 79000rs in india...duty at india airport was about 9000rs, it was acc to the aboove 25000/ 35% rule(all prices written above are approx, so dont blame me for maths)....plus got a sony xperia play phone worth 24000rs(approx) and also 3 3d glasses,plus 3 3d blurays.....it is really worth.....thanks evryone for your replies...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
so you save 5k on the tv cost - and what about warranty, service etc? and the risk of getting it broken by airport baggage handlers ..
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
For tariff see here (pp. 562).

Most likely, the tariff will be 10% of the dutiable value over your allowance (₹25,000)
That would be 10% of the dutiable amount (₹35,000), which would be ₹3,500
I need to take a 46" LED for my relative and it costs about INR 65k in BKK ( and anoyt 90k in India).. I believe the dutyfree allowance has changed to INR35k right ? If so, will I need to pay 10% on 30k = only about 3k in duty ??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.