Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
[I was looking around in the meantime and the situation still seems confused for broadcast TV, which I assume one would want to watch. When in doubt, buy locally.]

http://hometheater.about.com/od/tele...cpalframes.htm

Why NTSC and PAL Still Matter With HDTV
How Digital TV and HDTV Are Linked to Analog Television Standards

"A lot consumers around the World assume that, with the introduction of Digital TV and HDTV, the old barriers to a universal video standard have been removed. However, this is an incorrect assumption. Despite the fact that video is going digital, the fundamental difference between video standards that exist currently, Frame Rate, is still the foundation of the new Digital TV and HDTV standards...

"With the implementation of the Digital TV and HDTV, the foundation of how frames are displayed still have their roots in the original NTSC and PAL analog video formats. In soon-to-be former NTSC-based countries, Digital and HDTV are implementing the 30 Frame-per-second frame rate, while soon-to-be PAL-based countries are implementing a 25 Frame-per-second Frame rate...

"In the final analysis, Digital TV and HDTV, although a leap forward in technology implementation, in terms of what you actually see on the screen, with reference to increased resolution and detail, still has roots in 50-plus year-old analog video standards. As a result, there are, and will be, for the foreseeable future, differences in Digital TV and HDTV standards in use throughout the World, which reinforces the barrier to true Worldwide video standards for both the professional and the consumer."

Last edited by aktchi; Feb 20, 2010 at 4:36 pm
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by aktchi
What does it mean in practice: If importing a dvd player and digital tv, can a person just ignore pal/ntsc issue and, if he assures correct voltage, the combo will work anywhere?
sure, as long as you buy the right DVDs (although I think today there are fewer region issues than in the past).
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
So, does Europe have a digital standard then??
I have never heard of a country called Europe. Most countries in Europe that have digital broadcasts use DVB-T. PAL and SECAM have absolutely nothing to do with digital broadcasts.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:56 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I have never heard of a country called Europe. Most countries in Europe that have digital broadcasts use DVB-T. PAL and SECAM have absolutely nothing to do with digital broadcasts.
Europe doesn't need to be a country to have a standard. You may have heard of this wee lil' entity called the European Union. Many people call it the EU for short.

Anyway, back towards the original topic, I was on a plane with a Sony distributor from Mumbai. I asked him why I see so many people collecting huge LCD/Plasma/whatever TVs from baggage claim when I land from BKK. He said that due to the high taxes it comes out cheaper for them to buy them in BKK, claim the VAT and bring them to India rather than to buy them from his shops in Mumbai.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Europe doesn't need to be a country to have a standard. You may have heard of this wee lil' entity called the European Union. Many people call it the EU for short.
Yes, but as you know not every part of Europe is included in the EU. Even within just the EU part of Europe, I have to deal with at least three kinds of power sockets routinely even when it comes to charging the same device.

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Anyway, back towards the original topic, I was on a plane with a Sony distributor from Mumbai. I asked him why I see so many people collecting huge LCD/Plasma/whatever TVs from baggage claim when I land from BKK. He said that due to the high taxes it comes out cheaper for them to buy them in BKK, claim the VAT and bring them to India rather than to buy them from his shops in Mumbai.
That's right. Then there are the returning diplomats and transfer of residence people who get the repatriating household help to play all sorts of games with import of such electronics that end up in stores and/or otherwise resold.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:02 pm

Duty charged by India for 40-inch Sony led tv from saudi arabia?

this is my first post, i looked a lot of threads but am not sure exactly where to post this, so posting it here.

My father bought a sony 40 inch led tv from saudi, but while he was about to sent it via cargo, they said the duty is 350% for tv size above 32inch, so now he is planning to bring it along when he comes home to India. can someone tell me how much will it cost(duty) to bring the tv from saudi to india?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
have you tried googling india import duty/tax?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by waseemmik
this is my first post, i looked a lot of threads but am not sure exactly where to post this, so posting it here.

My father bought a sony 40 inch led tv from saudi, but while he was about to sent it via cargo, they said the duty is 350% for tv size above 32inch, so now he is planning to bring it along when he comes home to India. can someone tell me how much will it cost(duty) to bring the tv from saudi to india?
Originally Posted by clacko
have you tried googling india import duty/tax?
OP, you would get a better answer in Indiaforum.
Maybe mods should move it there. Baggage rules at a glance
Since the item as already been bought, looking into duty now is a moot point, unless it can be returned.
I don't understand the lure for bringing big items such as TV from abroad! Are they not available in India or are the very expensive?

Last edited by Yaatri; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:17 am
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:32 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
waseemmik, Welcome to FlyerTalk! This does seem best discussed in the Travel->India forum and I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:07 am

@clacko , google led me here, found a similar thread in this site with lots of indian answers, so decided to join this site and ask my specific question

@yaatri, if the duty is 350% its better to sell the tv and buy it from india...electronic goods are much costlier in india than middle east and US

@Ocn Vw 1K , Thank you

please answer my question guys
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
@clacko , google led me here, found a similar thread in this site with lots of indian answers, so decided to join this site and ask my specific question

@yaatri, if the duty is 350% its better to sell the tv and buy it from india...electronic goods are much costlier in india than middle east and US

@Ocn Vw 1K , Thank you

please answer my question guys
the last time i checked it was around 60% but that was a couple of years ago....i've realised that its better to buy items like a tv in india....its just not worth the headache....
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
http://www.indiabaggagerules.com/200...an-custom.html
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:32 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
the last time i checked it was around 60% but that was a couple of years ago....i've realised that its better to buy items like a tv in india....its just not worth the headache....
Totally agree. And you wont need to worry if the airline will break the TV during transit, etc.

Many international brands are available in India (especially Sony). These days, its not worth transporting TVs from a foreign country.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:50 pm

electronic goods are much costlier in india than middle east and US
To the contrary, I actually prefer to buy my electronics in India rather than the Middle East as the prices aren't much different but the warranties are actually enforceable in India (unlike Dubai).
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by B747-437B
To the contrary, I actually prefer to buy my electronics in India rather than the Middle East as the prices aren't much different but the warranties are actually enforceable in India (unlike Dubai).
i disagree....there is a big difference in price....i bought a 50 inch lcd a couple of months ago that was about 40% cheaper in dubai....even with duty it would have cost me a little less in dubai....but again, its not worth the effort....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.