Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Mumbai = Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond VIP
Thumbs down Connecting in Mumbai = Nightmare

I have traveled to India a number of times but this is my first time connecting from domestic to international in Mumbai. I have a few times arriving from international and stay overnight at a hotel then catch a domestic flight, which is a different story comparing what I experience below.
My entire connecting time is 2 hours and 20 minutes. Just list the number of lines you need to go through:
1. After arriving, the first line is to get a number in the arriving hall in order to get on a transfer bus.
2. the 2nd line is to line up at the "International Transfer" gate waiting for your number to be called.
3. the 3rd line is after the transfer gate open, waiting for your luggage to be scanned (first scan)
4. Then get on a transfer bus, it is not a usual airport bus, but rather a tour bus, which makes difficult to get on and off with bags. after about 12 minutes ride, you arrive at the ENTRANCE of the international terminal (note: not directly inside the terminal. The 4th line is to show you have a valid ticket and id to travel.
5. Then the 5th line is to go through immigration. Actually there are two lines for this but let's just count one.
6. The 6th line is to go through the security (second scan)
7. The 7th line is before you reach the gate, a US security check (third scan)
8. After the US security, you enter into a holding area with no chairs and wait for another 15 minutes, then you line up again, 8th line for boarding pass and passport check
9. If you want to count another line before boarding the plane, it is the 9th line!
In this entire process, the elite status is only recognized at the 7th line!
After I went through all this, I check the time it is 140 minutes total. Before I started the trip, I checked this forum and did notice there was one advice given to someone not to let an elder mother go through this transfer. After this I said to myself, no one should go through this, it is not a transfer, it is an adventure
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I posted my recent intl-intl connecting story here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...ction-bom.html

It included a nice tour of the baggage sorting facilities at BOM

btw, why is this in the UA forum? Because the Indian airport/security procedures did not recognize you are an "elite"?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:06 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this seems to be a good alert as to what one could expect with non-status, international connections in Mumbai generally, and not limited or specific to United passengers, let's share it with the wider community and I'll move it to the Travel->India forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
you should have checked the 'airlines of india' forum about connecting in mumbai....its a nightmare....most regular travelers to india try to avoid it....
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Exec
I came through Mumbai last week and it took 3 hours from the time we got to the domestic terminal, until we were inside the international terminal. The transfer bus to the international terminal runs every 30 minutes, and it was backed up, so we sat for 90 minutes just waiting to get a bus.

When we left Pune the ticket agent could not check us through to Newark, so we had to check in at the United counter again in Mumbai. This took quite some time as well.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I get into BOM on a 9w flight at 22.15 hrs. (from MAA) and have to catch the 2am departure on 9W to JNB. Is this a tight connection for BOM? Not very clued in with the whole Transit and International departures scene out in BOM..

Would an earlier flight be a safer bet?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by quarryking
I get into BOM on a 9w flight at 22.15 hrs. (from MAA) and have to catch the 2am departure on 9W to JNB. Is this a tight connection for BOM? Not very clued in with the whole Transit and International departures scene out in BOM..

Would an earlier flight be a safer bet?
if your first flight is not delayed then you will be fine....but just to be on the safe side i would take an earlier flight....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.