Indian Rupee ATM Withdrawal Limit Per Transaction

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indian Rupee ATM Withdrawal Limit Per Transaction

There were some reports earlier this week about the instituting of a maximum 10,000 rupee withdrawal at ATMs in any one transaction and it was to get implemented this week. This is going to increase the cost for visitors who are used to withdrawing larger sums of INR at one time in order to avoid being hit by out of network or foreign bank withdrawal charges.

Any more recent word about this going into play?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
http://www.business-standard.com/ind...tegies/372903/

The government really needs to stop allowing for such cartel-like behavior.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:48 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Update: 5 txns allowed per month on other-bank ATMs, free of charge. Beyond that, there's a fee: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/now-no-un.../103304-7.html.

However, I checked with ICICI Bank where I primarily bank with. For their priority customers (and I presume this will apply similarly in other banks also), there are/will be no charges for any number of third-party bank ATM usages.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
I use citibank when here and have no issues with pulling out Rs40,000 per transaction. Only if they have Rs1000 notes in the machine though. Did it today as well.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:11 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by oontiveros
I use citibank when here and have no issues with pulling out Rs40,000 per transaction. Only if they have Rs1000 notes in the machine though. Did it today as well.
Interesting - maybe worth it to get an account there...although I have been boycotting them for years!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Interesting - maybe worth it to get an account there...although I have been boycotting them for years!
Well, my bank is in Hong Kong (Bank of East Asia) and I get a US$2700 withdrawal limit per day...so it's not Citibank...however, AFAIK, Citi is the only bank I can consistently withdraw Rs40k per ATM transaction.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Bump...

Bumping up this thread to ask what kind of transaction limits to expect at ATMs using foreign bank cards - 40,000 or ?

I'd also like to ask if there are any updates to the information in this thread about ATMs in the terminal at DEL.

We're landing at DEL at night, staying at the nearby Courtyard by Marriott, and returning to the airport the following day to fly to JAI.

If we can't access the ATM, it'll be a money-changer in DEL. Are there any in particular to look for or to avoid?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
INR 40,000 at a State Bank of India (I think) ATM using a UK debit card last week in Goa.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Fredd
We're landing at DEL at night, staying at the nearby Courtyard by Marriott, and returning to the airport the following day to fly to JAI.

If we can't access the ATM, it'll be a money-changer in DEL. Are there any in particular to look for or to avoid?

Thanks!
avoid the hotel money changers as you won't get a good rate....any money changer at the airport will be fine....
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keyser
any money changer at the airport will be fine....
Watch the money changers at the airport. I've experienced "creative counting" at least once (DEL)
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
Watch the money changers at the airport. I've experienced "creative counting" at least once (DEL)
Thanks. ^ We'll be landing in DEL toward the end of this week. I read advice in another thread to avoid the Bank of India exchange but don't know if that's good advice. I'll be quite happy to use an ATM if possible.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There were some reports earlier this week about the instituting of a maximum 10,000 rupee withdrawal at ATMs in any one transaction and it was to get implemented this week.
As soon as we exited Customs at DEL last night I turned right and used the ATM I'd been directed to.

The limit for my US ATM card was INR 10,000. I used the same card twice to withdraw a total of 20,000. Now I have only one "fee-free" transaction left on this particular Wells Fargo card this calendar month.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:01 am
jar

Programs: UA 2M
If you can find an Axis Bank ATM somewhere outside the airport I have withdrawn up to Rs 35,000 with them in the last couple of months. Otherwise, it seems like many ATMs in Delhi limit you to Rs 10,000 or Rs 15,000.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by jar
If you can find an Axis Bank ATM somewhere outside the airport I have withdrawn up to Rs 35,000 with them in the last couple of months. Otherwise, it seems like many ATMs in Delhi limit you to Rs 10,000 or Rs 15,000.
Thanks for the tip but we didn't. In our travels in the Golden Triangle, Goa, and now back in Delhi, we never found an ATM that would pay out more than Rs 10,000. One employee told us "his" machine would allow 15,000 so we tried but had to settle for 10,000.

Thank goodness we have a couple of credit cards with no foreign transaction fees.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:15 pm

Cash withdrawal limit from Citibank India ATMs

Some months ago Citibank started charging a Rs. 200 fee (about $4) per transaction for non-Citibank customers. Now they have reduced the per-withdrawal limit to Rs. 10,000. So now they are charging a 2% fee per withdrawal.

I would not see the limit go down to Rs. 5000 soon. That way they can charge 4% per transaction.

This does NOT appear to be a result of any new government directive - just a Citibank profit initiative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.