Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Photo-identity for kids in Indian airports

Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Short version : Kids do not require proof of identity to access Indian airports / flights

Long version: DW & I left our kids passports at home on a recent trip from BLR to BOM. By the time we realized the oversight, it was too late to go back to fetch it, so we were on tenterhooks. The first security guy (CISF) at the airport entrance waved us through after looking at the adults' passports. At the check-in counter, we asked the CSR, who said that passports (or other proof of identity) are not required for kids on domestic flights.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by radhesh
Short version : Kids do not require proof of identity to access Indian airports / flights

Long version: DW & I left our kids passports at home on a recent trip from BLR to BOM. By the time we realized the oversight, it was too late to go back to fetch it, so we were on tenterhooks. The first security guy (CISF) at the airport entrance waved us through after looking at the adults' passports. At the check-in counter, we asked the CSR, who said that passports (or other proof of identity) are not required for kids on domestic flights.
Isn't it true anywhere? In the USA, TSA does not require ID's below 18
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:38 pm
Suspended

I don't know what the age threshold is but one does not have to show ID for kids under the threshold age int he U.S. too, unless you are traveling internationally.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:55 pm

Until very recently (june 20, 2008), even adults could fly without ID in the US:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/....id/index.html

I am not sure if the ID requirement changed.

Note that for years (at least a decade) airline and TSA employees claimed that ID were mandatory when they weren't, but flying without ID was (may still be) possible even if one had to argue a little bit.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
With the exception of international travel, the only reason why ID is required in the first place is for an airline to protect its revenue (so people won't resell unused tickets etc).

From a security point of view, all that is needed is a trough security screening.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by daniellam
With the exception of international travel, the only reason why ID is required in the first place is for an airline to protect its revenue (so people won't resell unused tickets etc).

From a security point of view, all that is needed is a trough security screening.
Precisely.

In terms of domestic flights in India, I've never had a problem flying without showing ID although sometimes they would ask to see a photo ID if the ticket was paid for with a credit card online or over the phone directly through the airline.
Old May 23, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Precisely.

In terms of domestic flights in India, I've never had a problem flying without showing ID although sometimes they would ask to see a photo ID if the ticket was paid for with a credit card online or over the phone directly through the airline.
Just for the pax who booked the tickets online or for all pax? I may be travelling with some very elderly folk and I'm not sure they have "photo ID"
Old May 24, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
The pax whose CC booked the ticket
Old May 24, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by hserus
The pax whose CC booked the ticket
Interesting. I just booked a few tix with IndiGo and they say to have photo ID for all pax, as well as the CC used to pay the tix. Maybe the photo ID requirement is just not uniformly enforced? Is this something that varies airline to airline or is there a centralized screening process like in the US?
Old May 25, 2009, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Interesting. I just booked a few tix with IndiGo and they say to have photo ID for all pax, as well as the CC used to pay the tix. Maybe the photo ID requirement is just not uniformly enforced? Is this something that varies airline to airline or is there a centralized screening process like in the US?
That's the airline protecting its revenue again! It has nothing to do with security.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
The airlines have not been asking me (an adult) for photo ID at all in recent months -- that is the same as usual for me going back decades -- nor is it required of children. There is centralized, routine checking at the likes of DEL for domestic flights but that is just done upon attempting entry into the terminal building and is done by the CISF guard -- it is not even being done routinely by the airline, so it is still very easy for people to fly under other people's names domestically in India as anyone can create a printout under any name matching their photo ID and then checking in and/or boarding using another printout with the ticketed passenger name(s).

Next time I run into the Home Minister, I will make sure to inform him of what I think about this stupid ID checking policy and the false impression that ID checking at airports is a valuable security check. ID is not security. The revised approach to ID checking at Indian airports that aligns domestic flight terminal entry procedures with international flight terminal entry was done because of a false belief in the value of ID checking as a security measure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.