Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Our 4.5 month old Baby died on an international Jet Airways Flight ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our 4.5 month old Baby died on an international Jet Airways Flight ...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by happytravelling
Such a terrible thing to have happened to your first and only child. I am surprised that you chose to travel with such a young baby, regardless of whether airlines allow it or not.
I am guessing you don't travel much... Babies much younger travel routinely without making any news. I have traveled with my 3 month old child on 15+ hour flights.

Sincere sympathies to the OP. Our prayers are with you in your time of grief.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier
Originally Posted by zoonil
I am guessing you don't travel much... Babies much younger travel routinely without making any news. I have traveled with my 3 month old child on 15+ hour flights.
Your guess is wrong. More than 25 international flights with actual mileage over 300K in 4 years qualifies me as a real frequent flyer (doesn't even count the domestics).

I recall two flights with very young children because of the constant crying. I didn't mind, just part of the flying experience, but I recall thinking how difficult it must be for the parents, not just the other pax. I put on the headphones and watch movies or play games on the computer.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by happytravelling
Your guess is wrong. More than 25 international flights with actual mileage over 300K in 4 years qualifies me as a real frequent flyer (doesn't even count the domestics).
Then why do you find it strange that someone would travel with a four month old?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Very sorry for your loss, is there any specific help you need right now?

Al
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alinlondon
Very sorry for your loss, is there any specific help you need right now?

Al
I suspect the help needed is "venting" -- it's an important part of the grieving process.

As to whether the airline is responsible for the tragic loss, well, I don't see any benefit to that speculation at the moment.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
I am terribly sorry to hear about you and your wife's loss.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am so sorry to hear what happened to your baby. In response to the previous post, it is perfectly safe for babies to travel by commercial airplane. I am sure, as a parent, you want some answers. Make sure the autopsy is done by a competent physician and a reputable center in you area. A well-done autopsy can go a long way in giving you some answers. When you have the results, have your baby's pediatrician (in Canada) review them with you and if possible ask for the slides of tissue to take with you back to Canada.
I cannot begin to image how it feels like to loose a child. It must be one of the worse things in life. I hope you find strength in your family, your friends, your community and in your faith.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:39 am

I too tender my condolances.

You mention that the airline has not contacted you..... they probably won't untill they know it was nothing they could have avoided. The answer is a simply as it is stupid. most of us would never think of suing for most reasons but there are this"other group" who will sue for everything including hot coffee and unfortunately some judges / courts and most importantly insurances see any form of apology as a form of accepting guilt no matter what the thruth is. Therefore most corporate companies will avoid any sort of contact until it is cleared of any sort of fault. It may seem inhumane to many of us but unfortunately it is the way of the world.

As others have said check with the Canadian Embassy it normally does help to have the big wigs talk.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG Priority Club Spire Ambassador, AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Explorist
Very sorry for your loss. I hope that you and your family are doing better.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Very sorry for your loss and I hope for the safe return of you and your wife.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Very sorry for your loss. I can understand how difficult it must be to deal with Indian authorities.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, LH, BMI, BA, HHilton
So sorry for your loss, I hate reading things like this, it just makes my heart sink.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
FWIW, I did some googling and found this on his web page:

The autopsy states the cause of death as “asphyxiation due to chocking.” I am given to understand that this is a rarest of rare case.However, the fact that the baby suddenly died in the aircraft during descent,warrants an investigation into extraneous circumstances.

Such a tragedy....
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:34 am

Belated condolonces to the OP and his family. Quite saddening....
Old Oct 4, 2008, 9:57 pm

My heart just sank when I read about the tragedy that occured a few months ago. I am very sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and your family. My prayers are with you and your wife.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.