Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

How to retrieve amadeus number on Air India booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

So I booked a few connecting flights using AI own website. Seems AI provides you only with their own 5 digit PNR number, which is useless to try uaing anywhere else then the AI website. I'm looking at trying to upgrade with Optiontown amongst other things, but I need the 6 digit booking number for that.

Called AI customer service but they were less than helpfull and referred only to the 5 digit PNR issued and used by AI themselves.

So how does one go about retrieving the 6 digit one?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Is there a flight operated by an airline that uses Amadeus as their CRS on your reservation?

If so, call the operating airline and have them look up your record locator by ticket number.

If not, then no Amadeus locator exists for your reservation.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:42 pm

Air India uses SABRE. It won't give any Amadeus handle unless booking involves any other airline which uses Amadeus.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by kshastry
Air India uses SABRE. It won't give any Amadeus handle unless booking involves any other airline which uses Amadeus.
Air India does not use Sabre, it uses SITA PTS. A Sabre confirmation would be 6 letters (non-numeric).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Optiontown will take the AI record locator...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
that's true....i've used the ai pnr to check upgrade options with optiontown in the past....

Originally Posted by XJames
I'm looking at trying to upgrade with Optiontown amongst other things, but I need the 6 digit booking number for that.
ai also offers airport upgrades that i have always found to be cheaper than optiontown....
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Is there a flight operated by an airline that uses Amadeus as their CRS on your reservation?

If so, call the operating airline and have them look up your record locator by ticket number.

If not, then no Amadeus locator exists for your reservation.
Not quite true. An Amadeus locator will be generated for any booking originating from an Amadeus GDS terminal in addition to those terminating with an Amadeus CRS participant carrier.

Eg. Amadeus GDS is used to book a ticket with segments on both ET (SABRE) and AI (SITA). There will be a master PNR created at GDS level in Amadeus (an at CRS level in SITA and SABRE), even though the participating airlines use other host systems.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Not quite true. An Amadeus locator will be generated for any booking originating from an Amadeus GDS terminal in addition to those terminating with an Amadeus CRS participant carrier.
While this is true in general, OP specifically mentioned that s/he booked on the AI website.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:15 am

A very OT question to B747-437B

Which GDS is 'better' from an airline point of view? Why AI seem to be 'stuck' with SITA? I have seen many carriers move towards Amadeus (recently MH). I guess it is not so easy to switch since complex accounting is involved?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I can't for anything in the world get OT to accept AI's PNR.

Originally Posted by Keyser
that's true....i've used the ai pnr to check upgrade options with optiontown in the past....

ai also offers airport upgrades that i have always found to be cheaper than optiontown....
That's true, however that relies heavily I guess on a daily basis of if there are any availabilities at that late moment. I'd personally like to check every early option if possible.

Also whatever I do I can not in any way make optiontown comprehend the SITA/SABRE Air India PNR. It rejects it in every form. I got a 6 digit number after going manually through check my trip, but neither this PNR works. It feels truly bizarre to offer OT services and then use a system totally disconnected from this and of no help.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
While this is true in general, OP specifically mentioned that s/he booked on the AI website.
Yep, sure did! And coincidentally, ironically I thought booking through they're website would make more sense in the aspect of looking for a later upgrade
And as mentioned, calling AI customer service is of no help. They only refer to this 5 digit one.

Last edited by XJames; Sep 26, 2017 at 3:59 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by kshastry
Which GDS is 'better' from an airline point of view? Why AI seem to be 'stuck' with SITA? I have seen many carriers move towards Amadeus (recently MH). I guess it is not so easy to switch since complex accounting is involved?
There really isn't any single "better" option. Amadeus ALTEA is shiny and new with all sorts of bells and whistles, but it comes at a serious cost and is very resource intensive. SABRE has improved their product offering in recent years and is cheaper than Amadeus (and a much shorter waiting list for implementation) and is quite popular with growing airlines seeking expanded interline functionality. SITA PTS is probably the cheapest of the lot and has more basic functionality, but it is a very hardy and stable system which operates better than the others on unstable and slow connections.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Still today no clue how to use Optiontown with Air India. Just doesn't work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.