Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Indian carriers extending free additional baggage for those with international ticket

Indian carriers extending free additional baggage for those with international ticket

Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Do any of the Indian carriers (e.g., Jet Airways or Spicejet) offer additional fee baggage allowance for those holding separate international tickets arriving in India and then using an Indian carrier for onwards travel in India (separate ticket for that travel)?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:54 pm

Vistara offers the same. Don't know about other carriers.

https://www.airvistara.com/trip/extra-baggage
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Do any of the Indian carriers (e.g., Jet Airways or Spicejet) offer additional fee baggage allowance for those holding separate international tickets arriving in India and then using an Indian carrier for onwards travel in India (separate ticket for that travel)?
no one besides vistara....
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:50 am

Thats an easy profit center. They charge $6 or $8 USD per extra kg.

Sometimes it is cheaper to take a nephew or even domestic aide along than pay for typical 46 kg international allowance TATL (or book everything on single ticket)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Air India question. I know AI allows an extra piece luggage for Star Gold customers according to info on their website. Does this apply only to the traveler or everyone on the same PNR ? For example if I travel with 4 people on United on one PNR, all 4 get one extra bag each. I am arriving on an international flight and taking a AI flight the next day and while I can bring 4+ suitcases (2 travelers) on the international flight, I will reduce the bags if I have to pay for them on AI. Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Air India question. I know AI allows an extra piece luggage for Star Gold customers according to info on their website. Does this apply only to the traveler or everyone on the same PNR ? For example if I travel with 4 people on United on one PNR, all 4 get one extra bag each. I am arriving on an international flight and taking a AI flight the next day and while I can bring 4+ suitcases (2 travelers) on the international flight, I will reduce the number of bags if I have to pay for them on AI. So for two travelers, one with Star Gold status, will I be allowed 3 checked bags or 4 ?
Also which lounge can I access in BOM domestic as a Star Gold flying AI and is it worth it ?
Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by vernonc
Air India question. I know AI allows an extra piece luggage for Star Gold customers according to info on their website. Does this apply only to the traveler or everyone on the same PNR ? For example if I travel with 4 people on United on one PNR, all 4 get one extra bag each. I am arriving on an international flight and taking a AI flight the next day and while I can bring 4+ suitcases (2 travelers) on the international flight, I will reduce the bags if I have to pay for them on AI. Thanks
United is unique in that respect, AI does what all other *A carriers do: the *G gets an extra bag only.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
United is unique in that respect, AI does what all other *A carriers do: the *G gets an extra bag only.
Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
no one besides vistara....
Thanks and kudos to Vistara. I wish it were an option for me. Is teh cost of excess (say 250kgs) baggage for IXE (mangalore) - BLR (bangalore) the same for Jet Airways and Spicejet ?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Thanks and kudos to Vistara. I wish it were an option for me. Is teh cost of excess (say 250kgs) baggage for IXE (mangalore) - BLR (bangalore) the same for Jet Airways and Spicejet ?
That's not excess baggage, it is cargo. Seriously, air cargo will be cheaper, or send it by truck for such a short distance.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
That's not excess baggage, it is cargo. Seriously, air cargo will be cheaper, or send it by truck for such a short distance.
I meant 25kgs not 250 ; sorry!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: United, Chase Ultimate Rewards
If your jet airways ticket was booked in USA, even if it is a separate ticket from the international itinerary, they will change the allowance
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by usulbaggins
If your jet airways ticket was booked in USA, even if it is a separate ticket from the international itinerary, they will change the allowance
change to what?

I think jet airways website is pretty clear about separate PNR.
They have also added language about code-share with examples.

Tickets purchased in US follows USDOT regulation which protects only single PNR trips. (Which states that baggage rules of the first segment dictates entire round trip - some airlines may give more allowance when that is typical allowance for that route but they can not give less)

For example United free baggage allowance in Y is 1 bag for US-India sector. Lufthansa has two bags for the same sector.

If you fly EWR-BOM-EWR, in Y, your free baggage allowance for the entire trip is:

1) 1 bag if your ourbound is on United and return is on Lufthansa
2) 2 bags if your outbound is on Lufthansa and return is on United

Doesnt matter which start alliance airline issues the ticket (lately Air Canada is selling this route on other *A operated flight at reduced fare then the operating carriers themselves)

Now it is possible that LH may allow 2 bags at BOM as contracted disinterested ground staff wud be used to check-in 2 bags for US bound pax from BOM on LH. But LH is not required to do so for US purchased tickets.

Now, this is further confused by IATA's MDC rules (Most dominant carrier). Jet airways in India and Jet Blue in USA when connecting with Emirates for example on US-India route. An example where Jet Blue is more generous than USDOT minimum requirement.

Bottom Line: Expect to pay hefty baggage charges if buying separate domestic ticket in India (now of course, this being India, inconsistencies and corruption is always at play)

Single PNR ticket bought in US, avoid first leg on United or American.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

What is the free luggage allowance is I buy a ticket for a Jet Airways flight on jet Airways web site for Bangalore to Managlore? Is it 23kgs because it is a "dollar fare" and not a "rupee fare"?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by desi
change to what?

I think jet airways website is pretty clear about separate PNR.
They have also added language about code-share with examples.

Tickets purchased in US follows USDOT regulation which protects only single PNR trips. (Which states that baggage rules of the first segment dictates entire round trip - some airlines may give more allowance when that is typical allowance for that route but they can not give less)

For example United free baggage allowance in Y is 1 bag for US-India sector. Lufthansa has two bags for the same sector.

If you fly EWR-BOM-EWR, in Y, your free baggage allowance for the entire trip is:

1) 1 bag if your ourbound is on United and return is on Lufthansa
2) 2 bags if your outbound is on Lufthansa and return is on United

Doesnt matter which start alliance airline issues the ticket (lately Air Canada is selling this route on other *A operated flight at reduced fare then the operating carriers themselves)

Now it is possible that LH may allow 2 bags at BOM as contracted disinterested ground staff wud be used to check-in 2 bags for US bound pax from BOM on LH. But LH is not required to do so for US purchased tickets.

Now, this is further confused by IATA's MDC rules (Most dominant carrier). Jet airways in India and Jet Blue in USA when connecting with Emirates for example on US-India route. An example where Jet Blue is more generous than USDOT minimum requirement.

Bottom Line: Expect to pay hefty baggage charges if buying separate domestic ticket in India (now of course, this being India, inconsistencies and corruption is always at play)

Single PNR ticket bought in US, avoid first leg on United or American.
Thanks for the clarification. Air India site only talks about WEIGHT. Does
that mean one can take any number of pieces as long as the total weight is
less than allowed ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.