Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Single PNR - domestic baggage allowance - stopover involved

Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

We typically advice on this forum that 9W and AI will honor bagagge allowance of originating carrier. is it still true? How does it change when stopover is involved?

in Econony:

JFK-LHR(on AA)-BOM(on EY)- BLR (on 9W) = 1 bag of 23 kg throughout
JFK-AUH(on EY)-BOM(on EY)- BLR (on 9W) = 2 bags of 23 kg throughout

How does the above change if there is stopover of 3 days in BOM while everything is still on single PNR? (issued by either AA or EY and segment in question is domestic BOM-BLE on 9W)

Are repective baggage allowances of originating carrier still honored or 15 kg domestic allowance comes into force because of stopover?)
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:05 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Your baggage allowance will be mentioned on your ticket. Ideally it should be the same throughout if on the same PNR.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by desi
Are repective baggage allowances of originating carrier still honored or 15 kg domestic allowance comes into force because of stopover?)
ideally the baggage allowance should remain the same if you are on a single pnr....irrespective of the stopovers....but as a2a stated, check what your ticket says regarding the baggage allowance....
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses.

By the time you get ticket in hand, isnt it too late? (Most economy tickets are nonrefundable)
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Thank you for your responses.

By the time you get ticket in hand, isnt it too late? (Most economy tickets are nonrefundable)
where are you buying the ticket????ask the ta or the carrier through who you are buying the ticket what the baggage allowance is....
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

US based website of American or Etihad or Jet.
Very difficult to get human answer, let alone a correct one.

Many years ago when Jet used to fly to US, in spite of stopover, full international aloowance was allowed. But ground staff gave a lot hard time in spite of printed web pages of Jet (that time web page was clear)

A recent data point on this forum tend to be more reliable. I am sure someone from US/Europe must have done a single PNR with stopover multi-city trip.

Problem with Iba forum is that people ask the questions but other than handful regulars most dont bother to post replies. (or even come back and provide data point of their experience for which they got useful advice here)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many years ago when Jet used to fly to US, in spite of stopover, full international aloowance was allowed. But ground staff gave a lot hard time in spite of printed web pages of Jet (that time web page was clear)

A recent data point on this forum tend to be more reliable. I am sure someone from US/Europe must have done a single PNR with stopover multi-city trip.

Problem with Iba forum is that people ask the questions but other than handful regulars most dont bother to post replies. (or even come back and provide data point of their experience for which they got useful advice here)
in general the international baggage allowance will continue for the duration of your trip, irrespective of stopovers....if you are on etihad/jet throughout then it will be easier to explain to the jet children at the check-in counters that you should get the higher baggage allowance....i can see them raising a stink if your international legs are on aa but you still still get the higher baggage allowance....
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
My experience with Single PNR tickets has been that if the stopover has been less than 24 hrs, then I have been able to get advantage of the international baggage and where the transit has been more , then I was told that I cannot get the benefit of the intl allowance even if on same PNR.

The last I checked on this was last Oct on a SU + AI combo .
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Usually before the final payment option exact baggage allowances for the whole trip is shown leg wise in the baggage section IIRC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.