Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Dump Jetprivilege for Etihad Guest Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Hi! I have maintained Eithad Guest Gold, but my JetPrivilege has slipped to Silver. Should I just start using my Etihad Guest Gold card and forget about JetPrivilege? The only downside I see is I don't get the same number of miles on Etihad for Jet flights (on lower fare classes) as I would with Jetprivilege. I enjoy occasionally getting complimentary upgrades by Jet. Would my chances of such upgrades be reduced with Etihad Gold?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Only *you* can decide, based on *your* travel patterns, and what *you* want from the various programmes.

Normally, it doesn't make sense to collect miles in two separate programmes in the same (virtual) alliance unless you can easily maintain status in both or there is some other compelling reason.

The number of miles earned is only one factor; how you spend those miles is at least as important. There are differences in the number of partners between the two programmes, for example, and if you find yourself always redeeming on a partner that is available only through one programme, then it would make little sense to ditch that programme for the other one, even if it gave you more "miles". After all, it is better to have 20,000 miles in programme A that allows you to spend them in a useful way, than to have 40,000 miles in programme B in which you are struggling to find a useful way to spend them.

(And to focus only on the "earning" amounts is not even half the story; check how much you need to spend; if you earn 10% more miles in programme B than programme A, but need to spend 20% more miles in programme B than in programme A to make the same type of redemption, then does it make sense to go with the one that earns "more miles"?? Of course not!!)

Airlines tend to look after their "own" frequent flyers first, or better, so yes, you would probably be far less likely to receive upgrades from Jet once you present as an Etihad Guest member.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 22, 2017 at 8:28 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
it all depends on the type of travel you have....i dropped jet a while ago & was crediting everything to etihad but now with jet & delta coming together to codeshare i have started crediting everything to delta instead....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.