Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Maximizing Points/Miles on Credit Card Spend

Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

I have to spend roughly 12 lakhs. Which card should I put it on to maximize the points/miles? I have the following cards:

1. HDFC Regalia
2. ICICI Jet Airways
3. Citi Rewards.

I have also canceled the SBI AI card since it was not worth it. What would be a good mileage card that I can get? Please advise. Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
What sort of spend is it going to be? e.g. Airlines (9W in specific)? Hotels? Others?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sm123
I have to spend roughly 12 lakhs. Which card should I put it on to maximize the points/miles? I have the following cards:

1. HDFC Regalia
2. ICICI Jet Airways
3. Citi Rewards.

I have also canceled the SBI AI card since it was not worth it. What would be a good mileage card that I can get? Please advise. Thanks.
the sbi card is now only good for accumulating miles for domestic travel so if you don't planning on taking advantage of that then it was a good call to cancel that card....

what are you looking to use the points/miles on????
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: JetPrivilege
Regalia is very poor for accumulating points as well as redeeming . It should be either ICICI or citi depending upon your spend as well as your redemption needs.

1. HDFC Regalia
2. ICICI Jet Airways
3. Citi Rewards.

Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

The spend would be non travel spend. I don't mind accumulating miles if I can redeem them easily for international flights without severe depreciation like was the case with SBI AI card. So is ICICI Jet Amex still the best bet?

Is Citi better than HDFC? I was using regalia for most of my regular spends thinking that is is the best among the three.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Anyone? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: O6 GOLD, SPG GOLD
The spend would be non travel spend. I don't mind accumulating miles if I can redeem them easily for international flights without severe depreciation like was the case with SBI AI card. So is ICICI Jet Amex still the best bet?

Is Citi better than HDFC? I was using regalia for most of my regular spends thinking that is is the best among the three.
We can give you a specific recommendation only after you have mentioned your burn plan for the points. Which airline do you fly regularly or do you have any travel goals?

If you get a new card, you can also finish the minimum spending for getting the bonus and be fee free for the year (for some of the cards).

Citi premier miles / prestige would be a good alternative as it has multiple transfer partners. If you fly Jet a lot, ICICI Sapphiro or HDFC Jet World or Diners would be the card of choice.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Locally mostly fly Indigo. Have ICICI Jet Airways card and have accumulated lots of miles but have not used them much. Are they a good value for redeeming for international flights?

Primarily interested in accumulating miles for redeeming on international flights to the US, primarily on Star Alliance flights. AI miles value is horrible for international flights.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:22 pm

For Star Alliance redemption without AI, your options boil down to cards offering SQ or LH miles. I'd say choose from the range of HDFC cards which suits you, they all can transfer to Krisflyer.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Not Citi PremierMiles?

Originally Posted by deovrat
For Star Alliance redemption without AI, your options boil down to cards offering SQ or LH miles. I'd say choose from the range of HDFC cards which suits you, they all can transfer to Krisflyer.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Anyone? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
if you can get the citi prestige then that is a great card to have....just used that earlier this week to pay for my car....enough miles to get me a business class return ticket from here to north america....
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:13 am

Not Citi PremierMiles?
Citi PM shines when most of your spend is on airlines, which you said you didn't have. The 2:1 transfer ratio is off-putting to me personally when spending non-travel on Citi PM.

Or...

Originally Posted by Keyser
if you can get the citi prestige then that is a great card to have....just used that earlier this week to pay for my car....enough miles to get me a business class return ticket from here to north america....
As Keyser says, get Prestige if you can and high-roll like him.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:24 am

Eh what !!! Which dealership accepts cards for car downpayment ?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Eh what !!! Which dealership accepts cards for car downpayment ?
for the past 10 years i've always used my credit card to pay for my cars....4 cars with 3 different dealerships....twice i've used the card to make a down payment & the other 2 times i've paid for the car in full....i've never had a problem....
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
for the past 10 years i've always used my credit card to pay for my cars....4 cars with 3 different dealerships....twice i've used the card to make a down payment & the other 2 times i've paid for the car in full....i've never had a problem....
if you are comfortable, what kind of amounts are we talking here?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.