Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India Bird Hit "Massive Security Breach"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

Apparently, DEL didn't allow the airplane to land on account of protocol.

My question is, was this such a "massive security breach" or was I (and now you ) click baited?!

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/m.../1/875712.html
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
wait, let me get this straight....if there is a bird strike then you are supposed to land at the nearest airport....so when this plane made it to del they were told they cannot land & they should fly further to another airport & land there....

i'm sorry but that makes no sense....if as the article states 'Protocol demands that the aircraft should have contacted the nearest ATC and seek priority landing' & if del was the closest airport then would they have told the aircraft to go land somewhere else????
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Weird story. The PIC and CPT decide if a bird hit is severe enough to require an immediate landing and initiate the procedures. If they thought the aircraft is fit to fly they continue. If something happened enroute they divert. Maybe DEL had fog or other congestion and asked them to divert to JAI?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

AVherald provides some clarity.

​​​​​​http://avherald.com/h?article=4a48d162&opt=0

It seems crew was unaware of the bird hit causing any damage. They had to divert to JAI due to bad weather in DEL and ran low on fuel.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AVherald provides some clarity.

​​​​​​http://avherald.com/h?article=4a48d162&opt=0

It seems crew was unaware of the bird hit causing any damage. They had to divert to JAI due to bad weather in DEL and ran low on fuel.
My God! Compare this to the India Today piece! Used to be a respectable publication.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by knit-in
My God! Compare this to the India Today piece! Used to be a respectable publication.
it hasn't been anywhere close to respectable in a very very long time....
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:34 am

The Hindi has a different take and it looks like PTI fact checked the story (AI spokesman, VIP on board etc)

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...le17207327.ece

AI 436 suffered a bird hit after the take off (in morning). The pilot and the co-pilot were watchful of the impact during the journey and upon feeling vibration in the engine, decided to land at Jaipur airport,” Air India Spokesman Dhananjay Kumar told PTI.“The impact damaged seven blades of the engine and the aircraft has been grounded for three-four days,” he said.
BJP Rajya Sabha MP Prabhat Jha, who was on the flight, has appreciated efforts of pilot in handling the emergency situation.“The pilot dealt with the situation adroitly by handling the passengers in a proper manner. He only informed that the plane will be landing in Jaipur. After the plane landed safely, he informed about the fuel leakage mid air,” he added.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

The Hindi has a different take and it looks like PTI fact checked the story (AI spokesman, VIP on board etc)

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...le17207327.ece
Definitely less hysterical, better researched.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:05 am

View Screen Capture

The flight path also reflects that.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ai436/#c6097d0
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

The flight path reflects the version of the AVHerald story-- circling DEL before landing in Jaipur. I am guessing DEL was fogged up. My question, though, is how different could weather conditions be in Jaipur?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.