Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Where Should I Credit 9W (EY Metal)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

Just saw an amazing 9W Biz class fare between JFK and DEL. All segments are Etihad.

I bank miles in all three major US based airline programs. If I were to pull the trigger on this one, where would the best place be to credit these miles? Outside of DL/UA/AA, I have points with Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards, so FF programs that partner them would work too.

I usually redeem points for O/W Business awards between the US and India.

Many thanks for your opinions in advance.

Last edited by knit-in; Jan 11, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Yeah there are some amazing business fares between India/US on Jetihad right now.. Now sure if something is wrong because the fares on Etihad's website are 2x.

Crediting miles to AA makes the most sense for you.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
Just saw an amazing 9W Biz class fare between JFK and DEL. All segments are Etihad.

I bank miles in all three major US based airline programs. If I were to pull the trigger on this one, where would the best place be to credit these miles? Outside of DL/UA/AA, I have points with Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards, so FF programs that partner them would work too.
Both 9W & EY are frequent flyer partners of AA. But that does not mean you will (or will not) get AA miles. Check the AAdavantgae web site carefully.
http://www.wheretocredit.com/jet-airways
http://www.wheretocredit.com/etihad-airways

Flying a flight marketed by one airline (flight number), operated by a second airline (codeshare) and crediting the frequent flyer miles to a third airlines ffp is always problematic. Usually only works if all three are in the same alliance (Oneworld - Star - Skyteam) or specific provision in the ff program rules. e.g AA miles or BA avios on QF marketed flight operated by EK. With non alliance partners even if the marketing and operating carriers are partners to your ffp, the codeshare does not always earn ff miles/points. There are several threads in the AS forum on this.

With codeshares you need to understand the rules for crediting ff miles and what is an eligible flight.
With some airline ffp's (like Oneworld & Skyteam) the marketing carrier (flight number) determines earnings, if an eligible flight.
With some airline ffp's (like Star Alliance) the operating carrier (a.k.a. metal) determines earnings, if an eligible flight.
But as is the way with ffp's there can be exceptions.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Anish
Yeah there are some amazing business fares between India/US on Jetihad right now.
how amazing????

the best i'm seeing are some inr 171k fares on jet for an upcoming trip in march....while this is better than my klm/delta ticket for inr 187k, its not a big saving....

are you seeing better fares on other dates????
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
I can see BOM/DEL-JFK for 140k in March.

https://www.google.co.in/flights/#se...017-03-15;sc=b
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I can see BOM/DEL-JFK for 140k in March.

https://www.google.co.in/flights/#se...017-03-15;sc=b
thanks....now that's a good fare....
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Yeah there are some amazing business fares between India/US on Jetihad right now.. Now sure if something is wrong because the fares on Etihad's website are 2x.
Originally Posted by Keyser
how amazing????

the best i'm seeing are some inr 171k fares on jet for an upcoming trip in march....while this is better than my klm/delta ticket for inr 187k, its not a big saving....

are you seeing better fares on other dates????
I'm looking at USD 2100, P fare. Flight originating in DEL. Its available to book on Orbitz. EY is selling it for $2800. Haven't checked Jet's site.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Crediting miles to AA makes the most sense for you.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Both 9W & EY are frequent flyer partners of AA. But that does not mean you will (or will not) get AA miles. Check the AAdavantgae web site carefully.
http://www.wheretocredit.com/jet-airways
http://www.wheretocredit.com/etihad-airways

Flying a flight marketed by one airline (flight number), operated by a second airline (codeshare) and crediting the frequent flyer miles to a third airlines ffp is always problematic. Usually only works if all three are in the same alliance (Oneworld - Star - Skyteam) or specific provision in the ff program rules. e.g AA miles or BA avios on QF marketed flight operated by EK. With non alliance partners even if the marketing and operating carriers are partners to your ffp, the codeshare does not always earn ff miles/points. There are several threads in the AS forum on this.

With codeshares you need to understand the rules for crediting ff miles and what is an eligible flight.
With some airline ffp's (like Oneworld & Skyteam) the marketing carrier (flight number) determines earnings, if an eligible flight.
With some airline ffp's (like Star Alliance) the operating carrier (a.k.a. metal) determines earnings, if an eligible flight.
But as is the way with ffp's there can be exceptions.
Thanks for the suggestions. It is a P fare, which earns 100% mileage credit on AA. No EQPs.

I did some more research and it may, however, be a unpublished consolidator fare and not earn miles at all. There are some pretty great fares for my dates, so I wonder if a $400-500 difference is worth losing the 20-odd thousand points I could earn.

In any event, I have to defer my decision till next week, on account of some other variables.

Thanks again, folks!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:21 am

I just booked HYD-LAX for INR 142k ($2050) or so and it booked into Etihad Business Classic (W Class). I double checked with the agent he said I will earn 130% miles while crediting to Jet.

Though very strangely, my e-ticket receipt shows the total fare paid as INR 327037.00
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I just booked HYD-LAX for INR 142k ($2050) or so and it booked into Etihad Business Classic (W Class). I double checked with the agent he said I will earn 150% miles while crediting to Jet.

Though very strangely, my e-ticket receipt shows the total fare paid as INR 327037.00
Where did you book this? Jetairways.com has DEL-JFK-DEL booking into P (also 150% JP miles)
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by knit-in
Where did you book this? Jetairways.com has DEL-JFK-DEL booking into P (also 150% JP miles)
Booked through Goibibo.com, P is the Jet Airways class it books into, Etihad fare classes are as below -

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/plan-and...-fare-choices/

Business Saver - Z, Classic - W, Flex - D,C,J.

Last edited by Anish; Jan 12, 2017 at 10:49 am Reason: Added link
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Booked through Goibibo.com, P is the Jet Airways class it books into, Etihad fare classes are as below -

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/plan-and...-fare-choices/

Business Saver - Z, Classic - W, Flex - D,C,J.
Got it. Thanks! You got a great deal! You get the chauffeur and everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.