Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

India to US - US domestic baggage allowance=0 !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Hello,

Am checking for a ticket from India to US .. Final US destination is Portland where not many intl flights fly in to, so basically we need to travel to one of the bigger cities and then take a US domestic connection to PDX.

I believe that US domestic connection will allow the international baggage allowance (2*23kgs) right ? Trying to club AI with UA (both *A) , but my corp TA says both tickets will be issued separately and intl baggage allowance will not be allowed for the domestic leg !!

Am sure there is something amiss.. Need advise as to what since there are loads and loads of folks who travel to smaller cities and am sure they don't pay the baggage fees specially when they are arriving on intl flights .

Seek advise.

Thanks, Abhi
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
If your tickets are on the same PNR, then there's no reason the international allowance of MSC should not be carried over to the domestic leg.

If your TA issues both tickets separately, then obviously the domestic leg would not allow allowance on an unrelated ticket. But why do so?
Can you not ask him to issue the tickets on the same PNR?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deovrat
Can you not ask him to issue the tickets on the same PNR?
I will surely speak to them tomorrow, but considering they are a corp TA, I thought they would know better ...
Should be able to book in the same PNR, since airlines also in the same alliance..
I forsee some issue with fares moving higher if different airlines clubbed (excuse from them)..
Lets see..
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: O6 GOLD, SPG GOLD
A simple search on google flights gives a lot of 1 stop *A options (DEL PDX), much cheaper than getting two tickets. Air Canada would get you to PDX fastest.
Your best bet is to search for the given date and provide them with the result, if you can get them a cheaper fare, they will book it.

I visit PDX couple of times a year, let me know and we can meet sometime.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:32 pm

One caution about flying Air Canada and connecting through Canada. If you are traveling with an Indian Passport and do not have Green Card, you will need a transit visa to connect through Canada. PDX is well connected to the major airports in the US, so you can connect through any of the major airports and get a direct flight to PDX.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:13 pm

you could also use southwest for the domestic segment and get free bags. But i dont know if you TA is allowed to book southwest as they do not show their fares on third party websites.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI's economy fares from CCU to PDX allow for the full bag allowance all the way thru:

Code:
  1  AI 023 Y 23JAN 1 CCUDEL HK1  1930 2  2015 2240   321 E 0 M                 
     DEPARTURE CCU TERMINAL 2 / ARRIVAL DEL TERMINAL 3                          
     SEE RTSVC                                                                  
  2  AI 127 Y 24JAN 2 DELORD HK1  0100 3  0200 0630   77W E 0 M                 
     DEPARTURE DEL TERMINAL 3 / ARRIVAL ORD TERMINAL 5                          
     CHECK API DATA REQUIRED                                                    
     SEE RTSVC                                                                  
  3  UA 569 Y 24JAN 2 ORDPDX HK1       1  0855 1131   319 E 0 F                 
     ADV PAX FLT DEPARTS TERMINAL-1                                             
     SEE RTSVC                                                                  
  4 RM NOTIFY PASSENGER PRIOR TO TICKET PURCHASE & CHECK-IN:                    
       FEDERAL LAWS FORBID THE CARRIAGE OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS -                
       GGAMAUSHAZ/S2-3                                                          
>fxa
FXA                                                                             

* FARE BASIS *  DISC    *  PSGR      * FARE<EUR>  * MSG  *T                    
01 Y+YIF      *          * P1         *   9331.57  *SR    *Y                    
02 CIF+FUA    *          * P1         *   7456.98  *SR    *Y                    
03 Y+WIFOW1+* *          * P1         *   5638.39  *SR    *Y                    
04 WIFOW1+FUA *          * P1         *   5507.59  *SR    *Y                    
05 WIFOW1+YUA *          * P1         *   5317.93  *SR    *Y                    
06 Y+YIF+FUA  *          * P1         *   5097.92  *SR    *Y                    
07 Y+YIF+YUA  *          * P1         *   4913.48  *SR    *Y                    
08 B+ZXOWUA   *          * P1         *   3890.03  *      *Y                    
09 ZXOWUA     *          * P1         *   3590.73  *      *Y                    
10 MIP+LXHEO* *          * P1         *   1223.62  *      *Y                    
11 LXHEOWUA   *          * P1         *    959.68  *      *Y                    
*1-7*                                                                           
*1-7*                                                                           
*1,3,6-11*TICKET STOCK RESTRICTION                                              
>                                                 PAGE  1/ 1                    
>fqq11
FQQ11                                                                           

11 LXHEOWUA   *          * P1         *    959.68  *RB    *Y                    
REBOOK TO CHANGE BOOKING CLASS AS SPECIFIED                                     
LAST TKT DTE 23JAN17 - DATE OF ORIGIN                                           
------------------------------------------------------------                    
     AL FLGT  BK T DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG                    
 CCU                                                                            
XDEL AI    23 V *V 23JAN 2015  LXHEOWUA        23JAN23JAN 2P                    
XCHI AI   127 L *L 24JAN 0200  LXHEOWUA        24JAN24JAN 2P                    
 PDX UA   569 T *T 24JAN 0855  LXHEOWUA        24JAN24JAN 2P                    

INR    40895      23JAN17CCU AI X/DEL AI X/CHI UA PDX Q45.12                    
EUR   567.00      570.06NUC615.18END ROE66.475100                               
EUR   282.74YQ    XT EUR 17.83IN EUR 3.53WO EUR 1.70G1 EUR                      
EUR    47.59JN    1.70F2 EUR 5.19YC EUR 16.78US EUR 3.74XA                      
EUR    62.35XT    EUR 6.60XY EUR 5.28AY                                         
EUR   959.68                                                                    
RATE USED 1INR=0.013852EUR                                                      
BAG/SEAT/MEAL/SERVICES AT A CHARGE MAY BE AVAIL.-ENTER FXK                      
TICKET STOCK RESTRICTION                                                        
>                                                 PAGE  2/ 3                    
>m
BG CXR: AI                                                                      
PRICED WITH VALIDATING CARRIER AI - REPRICE IF DIFFERENT VC                     
139.00 EUR PENALTY APPLIES                                                      
ENDOS NONEND/NONREF VALID ON AI REISSUE/DATE CHNGE INR5500 N                    
      OSHOW INR9000 REFUND INR10000 DOMESTIC CHANGE-INR2000                     
      -BG:AI                                                                    
>                                                 PAGE  3/ 3                    
>fqq10
FQQ10                                                                           

10 MIP+LXHEO* *          * P1         *   1223.62  *RB    *Y                    
REBOOK TO CHANGE BOOKING CLASS AS SPECIFIED                                     
LAST TKT DTE 23JAN17 - DATE OF ORIGIN                                           
------------------------------------------------------------                    
     AL FLGT  BK T DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG                    
 CCU                                                                            
 DEL AI    23 M *M 23JAN 2015  MIP             23JAN23JAN 2P                    
XCHI AI   127 L *L 24JAN 0200  LXHEOWUA        24JAN24JAN 2P                    
 PDX UA   569 T *T 24JAN 0855  LXHEOWUA        24JAN24JAN 2P                    

INR    58905      23JAN17CCU AI DEL270.94AI X/CHI UA PDX Q                      
EUR   816.00      45.12 570.06NUC886.12END ROE66.475100                         
EUR   282.74YQ    XT EUR 17.83IN EUR 3.53WO EUR 2.20G1 EUR                      
EUR    61.53JN    2.20F2 EUR 5.19YC EUR 16.78US EUR 3.74XA                      
EUR    63.35XT    EUR 6.60XY EUR 5.28AY                                         
EUR  1223.62                                                                    
RATE USED 1INR=0.013852EUR                                                      
BAG/SEAT/MEAL/SERVICES AT A CHARGE MAY BE AVAIL.-ENTER FXK                      
TICKET STOCK RESTRICTION                                                        
>                                                 PAGE  2/ 3                    
>m
BG CXR: AI                                                                      
PRICED WITH VALIDATING CARRIER AI - REPRICE IF DIFFERENT VC                     
139.00 EUR PENALTY APPLIES                                                      
ENDOS NON ENDORSEABLE VALID ON AI -BG:AI                                        
>                                                 PAGE  3/ 3                    
>
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
but my corp TA says both tickets will be issued separately and intl baggage allowance will not be allowed for the domestic leg !!
this is quite strange....i end up making domestic connections after my international flights all the time when flying to the us....i have never had a separate baggage allowance for my domestic flights....

i understand that the tickets might be issued separately by the 2 different airlines but as long as there is one pnr there should be no problem....
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:29 am

Are they trying to save money by booking different tickets? If so, how much? I find it interesting especially when this is corporate travel because they should be not worried about some small savings and instead ensure that their employees travel comfortably.

And if in case, they still decide to go ahead and book separate tickets, I hope they are willing to reimburse you for the baggage fees.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by romania2007
A simple search on google flights gives a lot of 1 stop *A options (DEL PDX), much cheaper than getting two tickets. Air Canada would get you to PDX fastest.
Your best bet is to search for the given date and provide them with the result, if you can get them a cheaper fare, they will book it.

I visit PDX couple of times a year, let me know and we can meet sometime.
This is exactly what I did and with a some persuasion, they are trying to make these under same PNR..
Problem with corp TA's is that the itinerary offered depends a lot on the employee assigned to handle the request and since employees and their experience varies YMMV !

Originally Posted by sm123
One caution about flying Air Canada and connecting through Canada. If you are traveling with an Indian Passport and do not have Green Card, you will need a transit visa to connect through Canada. PDX is well connected to the major airports in the US, so you can connect through any of the major airports and get a direct flight to PDX.
Yes, avoiding Canada for this reason.. thanks for the headsup though.

Originally Posted by mrahul
you could also use southwest for the domestic segment and get free bags. But i dont know if you TA is allowed to book southwest as they do not show their fares on third party websites.
They will not give Southwest..

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AI's economy fares from CCU to PDX allow for the full bag allowance all the way thru:
Am sure of this as well as most online TA's show it this way.. Trying to get this done post some long discussions with them..

Originally Posted by Keyser

i understand that the tickets might be issued separately by the 2 different airlines but as long as there is one pnr there should be no problem....
Am used to strange itinerary recos from my Corp TA..

Originally Posted by Redhat72

And if in case, they still decide to go ahead and book separate tickets, I hope they are willing to reimburse you for the baggage fees.
Yes, while bag fees will be reimbursed, its a big hassle rechecking the bags etc etc.. and problems if misconnection etc.. hence will try and avoid this.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Yes, while bag fees will be reimbursed, its a big hassle rechecking the bags etc etc.. and problems if misconnection etc.. hence will try and avoid this.
Dont you have to recheck bags anyway once you pass Customs at the US port of entry ? I dont think it matters whether you have a single PNR or multiple.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Dont you have to recheck bags anyway once you pass Customs at the US port of entry ? I dont think it matters whether you have a single PNR or multiple.
the bags are tagged to your final destination....you just need to clear customs & drop the bags off right after that....if you have different tickets then you need to check in again with the different airlines & check-in the bags all over again....
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:10 am

the bags are tagged to your final destination....you just need to clear customs & drop the bags off right after that....if you have different tickets then you need to check in again with the different airlines & check-in the bags all over again....
I did BLR-DEL-ORD, ORD-SFO earlier this year on AI & United on different tickets. United had a desk right after customs at ORD where i could just check-in & drop off bags. So it wasnt very different from a single ticket.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
So it wasnt very different from a single ticket.
it could be....you could have different baggage allowance on the 2 airlines which would lead to baggage fees for the 2nd flight....

if you are on one ticket then you don't need to check-in again for your domestic flight....you get your boarding passes all at once & your bags are checked to your final destination....after customs you just drop off the bags without having to check-in again....its far move convenient than having two separate reservations....
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

ts far move convenient than having two separate reservations....
not to forget the issues if the connection is delayed , there is a misconnect due to any other reason etc..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.