Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flight from India to US on SQ: Credit Miles to UA Mileage Plus or Club Vistara?

Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, UA Silver

Hi All,

I have a flight coming up from India to the US on Singapore Airlines. In the past, I have credited the miles on Star alliance to my United Mileage Plus account. The account activity every 18 months keeps my miles from expiring.

Now, I have moved to India, but make a trip back to the US about once a year.

I make trips within India about 4 times a year. Mostly BLR-DEL.

I just flew Vistara the first time, and liked it. Now I'm wondering whether to credit the miles to my Club Vistara account or to my UA account.

My flight is in premium economy (P), but my first flight from BLR-SIN is on Silk Air metal, which I think means that it is not eligible for miles on UA.

What are your thoughts and other the considerations I should consider?

Thanks so much.

Last edited by yeshe23; Sep 13, 2016 at 11:41 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
I'd say go for Vistara. They are revamping their frequent flyer program this month and are definitely the better full service carrier in the market right now.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Anish
I'd say go for Vistara. They are revamping their frequent flyer program this month and are definitely the better full service carrier in the market right now.
i agree....vistara is probably the best of the lot right now....i'm waiting for them to increase their routes & i'll eventually shift over all my ai travel to them in the end....
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, UA Silver
Hi, after some research, I decided on a third option: to start a KrisFlyer account and book the miles there. While I agree that Vistara is a good carrier within India, when you fly on Singapore airlines, the mile accrual is about the same whether you accrue on the Vistara or Krisflyer programs. However, when you look at the redemption rates for international travel, it is much better to use Krisflyer miles for international travel. And for now, my travel within India isn't too much (4-5x per year) so it makes sense to book miles where I can use them for my international travel, which tends to be more expensive anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
If you are planning to use ur miles for regional coach. Watch out SQ's YQ

On a Y ticket to Singapore from India, the YQ can sometimes be more than the ticket on a LCC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.