Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Spicejet forgot dimmed lights for landing!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

Flew Spicejet BOM-HYD on the early morning (5:20am) departure. When we landed in HYD it was still solidly dark (pre-sunrise) outside. I noticed that the cabin lights were not fully dimmed as is protocol for night-time landings, only the outside ambience lights that go down the cabin walls were dimmed but the recessed lights above the overheads remained on, with the cabin still pretty well illuminated.

Isn't this a CAA/IATA violation? I thought of mentioning something on the way out to the FAs but then realized I'd probably just sound like a dick... also my 4th flight in 36 hours so I was ready for home and bed.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Flew Spicejet BOM-HYD on the early morning (5:20am) departure. When we landed in HYD it was still solidly dark (pre-sunrise) outside. I noticed that the cabin lights were not fully dimmed as is protocol for night-time landings, only the outside ambience lights that go down the cabin walls were dimmed but the recessed lights above the overheads remained on, with the cabin still pretty well illuminated.

Isn't this a CAA/IATA violation? I thought of mentioning something on the way out to the FAs but then realized I'd probably just sound like a dick... also my 4th flight in 36 hours so I was ready for home and bed.
It's not such a big deal really... I don't think there is any hard rules on this, more like company policy probably.

QF used to fly with full lights during take off and landing until just about 10 years back.

BTW, SpiceJet isn't an active IATA member.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:01 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by skywardhunter

Isn't this a CAA/IATA violation? I thought of mentioning something on the way out to the FAs but then realized I'd probably just sound like a dick...
Good thinking. Be sure you understand a regulation before complaining about what you think might possibly, just maybe, be a violation.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BJM
Good thinking. Be sure you understand a regulation before complaining about what you think might possibly, just maybe, be a violation.
Most airlines in India specifically announce that they are dimming the lights for night time take off and landing due to regulations so pretty sure there is some type of rule.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i remember reading a thread on a similar topic last year....seems like spice jet doesn't believe in dimming the lights during landing....
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The lights are supposed to be dimmed so that in case of an evacuation you don't loose time in trying to adjust for the different light conditions outside. IATA has nothing to do with that, the DGCA may prescribe such action as part of checking the SOP. Usually the FA in charge has to report to the flight deck to say that the cabin is secured and prepared for landing. Its part of the FA and PICs check lists.

You can complain to the DGCA if you like...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:37 am

I suggest you forward this story to one of the Indian tabloid newspapers or TV channels. Their crack investigative teams will get to the bottom of things in no time flat.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I suggest you forward this story to one of the Indian tabloid newspapers or TV channels. Their crack investigative teams will get to the bottom of things in no time flat.
I thought only Air India has that privilege.

BTW if you haven't noticed British tabloids stopped covering Indian aviation. BBC and CNN took over that role, ie., covering every missed approach, deflated tires, tire bursts, hydraulic leaks and last but not least rodents. BBC getting rat news even before AP and Reuters. Still trying to figure out what caused these role changes.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: JetPrivilege Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, OW Enrich Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Taj Innercircle Gold
Originally Posted by avcritic
I thought only Air India has that privilege.

BTW if you haven't noticed British tabloids stopped covering Indian aviation. BBC and CNN took over that role, ie., covering every missed approach, deflated tires, tire bursts, hydraulic leaks and last but not least rodents. BBC getting rat news even before AP and Reuters. Still trying to figure out what caused these role changes.
a new govt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.