Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways online upgrade - when is it an option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many

I'm new to Jet Airways domestic flying and would appreciate any advice. (I'm a US resident and do not have any miles with Jet Airways, if that matters).

I just booked myself on the airline website CCU-GOI flight #626 on Jan 14th. I really would like to fly business class and would be happy to pay double the economy price but not quadruple (I booked economy as the price difference was 4X).

My understanding is that the Jet Airways online upgrade offered at http://www.jetairways.com/en/in/plan...e-upgrade.aspx would normally cost less than the price differential. When I enter my booking details using that link, the website pulls up my booking but does not show me an upgrade option. Is there something specific I should click on to see upgrade options? Is it likely I would be able to upgrade at the airport? If upgrading at the airport, would I get the business class baggage allowance?

How likely would it be that Jet Airways would open up redemption space on this flight at the last minute so I could redeem my American Airlines miles for the ticket instead?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by crazyMRer
My understanding is that the Jet Airways online upgrade offered at http://www.jetairways.com/en/in/plan...e-upgrade.aspx would normally cost less than the price differential. When I enter my booking details using that link, the website pulls up my booking but does not show me an upgrade option. Is there something specific I should click on to see upgrade options? Is it likely I would be able to upgrade at the airport?
the upgrade is not offered on all flights....sometimes they also offer it closer to the travel date....if they don't offer it in advance then you won't be able to upgrade at the airport....

If upgrading at the airport, would I get the business class baggage allowance?
if the upgrade is offered then you would get the increased baggage allowance....

How likely would it be that Jet Airways would open up redemption space on this flight at the last minute so I could redeem my American Airlines miles for the ticket instead?
very unlikely....
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many
My experience:

I kept checking my reservation with the e-upgrade link twice per day and was never offered an upsell.

This morning, when checking in at the airport, I asked about upgrading to business class. I was originally quoted the fare difference and declined, saying that was too much for me. I was then offered to upgrade for about 50% of the fare difference and accepted the offer. So now I am in business class, awaiting my flight.

I was only permitted the economy class baggage allowance and the upgrade did not grant me lounge access (I have Priority Pass so I had lounge anyway). My credit card was charged for the upgrade; it wasn't cash so airline policy was probably followed.

I do have a Jet Airways FF number but only added it to my reservation after I was ticketed and had previously purchased the ticket on Jet's website as a guest user. I wonder if I might have been offered the upsell online at some point if I had purchased the ticket while logged into my profile or what else might have been a factor. 24 hours before my departure, all revenue fare classes were available for sale (with the most seats expertflyer will show), including the most discounted in both cabins. The first segment of the flight the plane flew mostly full in business class, only one empty business class seat. The second segment the plane flew mostly empty in business class, with only 3 people in business class. (Direct flight, same flight number and plane, but 30 min stop at hub between segments).

Last edited by crazyMRer; Jan 15, 2016 at 5:37 am
Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Howdy -- I'm fairly new to JetPrivilege as well. AFAIK, the upgrade for cash option online was done away with last year.

It seems the website has not been properly updated, because the link the OP shared shows up in Google searches. I was just searching around to find out how to upgrade using miles for an upcoming flight, and got the same result with that link: it goes to the "Manage my Booking" section with no option to pay for an upgrade. This is the procedure to ugprade using JP Miles -- a bit cumbersome (print, scan, email, wait for response) - curious to see how it goes.

https://https.jetairways.com/EN/IN/J...s-Upgrade.aspx

On recent flights, a couple of days before travel, I've gotten email offers for a cash upgrade -- these were on very short domestic segments, and I declined. I prefered paying 600 INR for an emergency exit on a 35-40m flight, rather than 4000 INR for an upgrade to J.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: JetPrivilege
I received a mail to upgrade my DEL - UDR flight for 4500 INR which is totally ridiculous price , but the point being that they will send you mail close to your departure date for an upgrade option along with price and the link etc .

Also it is clearly mentioned in mail that BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE SHALL REMAIN AS PER ORIGINAL BOOKING CLASS alongiwth LOUNGE ACCESS.

So this kind of upgrade is utterly useless in my opinion.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:47 am

I would suggest at least clicking on the given link. Jet IT sometimes makes hilarious mistakes. Case in point, I received a similar mail quoting Rs 4000 for an upgrade from BOM-AMD. I was sceptical too and clicked on the link. Lo and behold the payment portal was only asking for 400 bucks. And that's not even the good part. I don't know why but due to some glitch I guess the system booked me in fare class 'P'. 4 tier points and a business class seat for 400 bucks😂😂 Count me in anytime
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Jet Airways, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways
I am due to fly with Jet Airways in a few weeks, wondering if anyone knows when the upgrade email is usually sent out, if it is to be sent out!

Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Originally Posted by Jagdip
I am due to fly with Jet Airways in a few weeks, wondering if anyone knows when the upgrade email is usually sent out, if it is to be sent out!

Thanks
In my experience, 4 or 5 days after you submit the request. However, the last time I called a day or two after submitting a nd they confirmed everything over the phone...
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Jet Airways, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways
Thanks. I meant as in, the initial offer email offering an upgrade?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Try logging into Manage my booking, there's an upgrade option there sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.