Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India Flying Returns - Major changes in FFP Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India Flying Returns - Major changes in FFP Program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
ai has completely ruined the best benefits of its ffp....one of their best features used to be the ability to upgrade your ticket using miles....while they have still retained that, the number of miles required to upgrade now makes no sense....

i have a personal trip coming up to atq next month....the tickets were very well priced at inr 1,286 one way....even though its a short less than an hour flight, they are flying the dreamliner on this route so i thought about upgrading my ticket using miles....normally this trip in business would set you back 12k miles but with the current 40% off promotion ai is running, this would have only cost me 7,200 miles....ai on the other hand wanted 10,800 miles for me to upgrade my ticket....who in their right mind would even consider such a ridiculous deal????

i've said it before & i'll say it again, ai has completely butchered one of the best benefits of their ffp....
Can't have put this any better... For me, one of the only good usages of FR miles is now their domestic redemptions when they discount 40% off.
Upgrade using miles makes no sense now.
No point going out of my way to hoard FR miles.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:49 am

I am just a flight short of "Active" Status from "Primary Active"
CX rep just told me that I can't redeem miles in other person's name.
Would I be able to redeem miles to upgrade on other person's name?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: SQ Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond
*A Upgrade with miles is live on FR website.
Clumsy and difficult to understand in the first go.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
AI Fffp charging more for AI redemptions compared to *A ??

Hello,

Checked the AI website and miles requirement for a Y redemption.

SFO - DEL redemption in Y is priced at 80000 FR miles OW, i.e 160000 FR miles RT if we take AI.
For *A redemptions, any North America location to Any Indian location is priced 110000 FR miles !!

Not to forget for AI , we need to spend additional for positioning flights to SFO and from DEL to final destination !!
So AI seems to be charging more for redemptions on their flights compared to their alliance partners ?

I am aware that AI does not charge YQ now.. I believe there are options within *A partners (UA etc) that don't charge YQ right ?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Hello,

Checked the AI website and miles requirement for a Y redemption.

SFO - DEL redemption in Y is priced at 80000 FR miles OW, i.e 160000 FR miles RT if we take AI.
For *A redemptions, any North America location to Any Indian location is priced 110000 FR miles !!

Not to forget for AI , we need to spend additional for positioning flights to SFO and from DEL to final destination !!
So AI seems to be charging more for redemptions on their flights compared to their alliance partners ?

I am aware that AI does not charge YQ now.. I believe there are options within *A partners (UA etc) that don't charge YQ right ?
I think AI does charge YQ for partner redemptions - which might be the reason why its cheaper to redeem on its own metal on which it doesnt charge YQ now.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
I think AI does charge YQ for partner redemptions - which might be the reason why its cheaper to redeem on its own metal on which it doesnt charge YQ now.
Believe you mean its more expensive to redeem on its own metal since it does not charge YQ now.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Any idea if redemption tickets can be upgraded using upgrade vouchers? The vouchers don't mention anything.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Anish
Any idea if redemption tickets can be upgraded using upgrade vouchers? The vouchers don't mention anything.
no they can't....only revenue tickets can be upgraded with vouchers....
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
no they can't....only revenue tickets can be upgraded with vouchers....
Thanks! Just re-read the voucher and now noticed revenue, not sure how I missed it
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Does Air India still price connecting flights as multiple awards?

I am trying to book a DFW-FRA-DEL on LH flights and I am being told on the phone that it will be priced as 2 awards. (North America - Europe and Europe to India). I thought they had updated their systems once they had joined Star Alliance. Can anyone confirm how to get it to price as 1 award?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by avneeshj
Does Air India still price connecting flights as multiple awards?

I am trying to book a DFW-FRA-DEL on LH flights and I am being told on the phone that it will be priced as 2 awards. (North America - Europe and Europe to India). I thought they had updated their systems once they had joined Star Alliance. Can anyone confirm how to get it to price as 1 award?
call back & speak with another agent....its not unusual to come across a misinformed agent on the phone....
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:01 am

call back & speak with another agent....its not unusual to come across a misinformed agent on the phone....
Thanks for the quick reply Keyser.

I've spoken to 3 agents so far today including a supervisor who said that the only way to price it is through 2 awards. He even asked me to email them so they could give this in writing as well. This seemed to be the Delhi call center as he asked me to email the Delhi call center email address. I had called using the 1800 number on the FR website. Any particular call center which may be better suited to making this booking?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Thanks for the quick reply Keyser.

I've spoken to 3 agents so far today including a supervisor who said that the only way to price it is through 2 awards. He even asked me to email them so they could give this in writing as well. This seemed to be the Delhi call center as he asked me to email the Delhi call center email address. I had called using the 1800 number on the FR website. Any particular call center which may be better suited to making this booking?
strange....i've inquired about tickets with a stop over a few times & have been quoted miles for a single award....i always call the 1-800 number....
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:33 am

strange....i've inquired about tickets with a stop over a few times & have been quoted miles for a single award....i always call the 1-800 number....
I have received the following reply for the email I sent them asking about award ticket pricing from USA - India specifically on Lufthansa.

Dear _______,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

In reference to your e-mail ,we understand that you would like to know about the miles required from DFW to DEl.We are sorry to inform you that there is no direct flight only via fight(via ORD) is available ,so miles will calculated separately.From DFW to ORD the flight is UA5570 for that the miles required is 17500 and from ORD to DEl AI126 it is 80000 miles required.So the total miles required for one way will be 97500 plus taxes applicable.You can book the ticket through customer care or directly from booking office.

For any other query you can reach us through our Air India Customer Care Toll Free number India: 1800 180 1407 |USA: 1800 223 7776 |UK: + 44 207 760 3290 | Canada: 1800 625 6424 |Germany – 0049 69 1200 9821(9AM-9PM Local) | France – 0033 1 7654 5741(9AM-9PM Local)| Singapore – 00 65 6225 9411| Australia – 1 800 247 463.

Or log on to our website www.flyingreturns.co.in. Have a wonderful day!
[email protected]
Warm Regards,

Deepthi,

Air India Customer Care/chennai.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:04 am

Would this be the Indian 1-800 number or the US one? I am calling the Indian number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.