Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown Air India? Opinions?

Has anyone flown Air India? Opinions?

Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:12 am

Smile

Yet another reason to not fly Air India. Four hour delay with poor communication.

http://www.india.com/news/india/air-...irport-846052/

Years and years of inefficiency, losses and bureaucracy - without a care for the flying public. Good thing private airlines came into India - otherwise folks would be at the mercy of the flying maharah !!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deltheking
Yet another reason to not fly Air India. Four hour delay with poor communication.

http://www.india.com/news/india/air-...irport-846052/

Years and years of inefficiency, losses and bureaucracy - without a care for the flying public. Good thing private airlines came into India - otherwise folks would be at the mercy of the flying maharah !!
Where does the article mention the poor communication? On the contrary, it mentions AI notified on the social media sites.
Whenever an AI flight I have taken is delayed, I at least get a text on the registered number and a phone call in most cases.

And do you not think that Delhi fog is an actual reason for a flight to be delayed? If you have access to any flight-tracking websites, you will notice Indigo has accumulated 5 hours of delays on many sectors today, as has Vistara; two of the airlines with the best On Time Performance in the country.

Lastly, to call BS on the poorly researched article in the link, no AI flight between BLR and DEL is currently operated by an aircraft that carries 240 passengers. AI bashing with pathetically written articles is media's favourite pastime.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
AI has its issues, but DEL fog is real. In North India it can be as disruptive to air traffic as storms in DFW or snow in BOS. Airlines can't do much if the runways are shut down.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by deltheking
Traverse the FT boards and you shall find this true of more than one airline.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by knit-in
Traverse the FT boards and you shall find this true of more than one airline.
+1 !
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
My recent experience..

Hi there,

Over the years my India domestic travel had been on Jet, Kingfisher or other
private airlines. With the * alliance entry, I wanted to avail my * Gold status
on A.I. Baggage allowance was another factor to fly them.

I had two flights booked separately.

1. DEL to BOM on the 4 AM AI flight after my arrival from LHR
This flight comes from China and continues to BOM. As I went to
check for the flight, I was told that the flight was delayed and will
depart DEL at 9:30 AM (5:30 hours late). As I had an early
meeting in BOM, I asked them to put me on the next available flight
which was 7 AM. Economy was sold out only business was available
on that flight. I asked them to get me on that flight which they could
have done by moving their elite FF to Business. But they declined. After
lot of arguments they asked me to buy upgrade fee of INR 7500 for
business class seat. I thought this was poor customer service. I did
it but left a bad taste for not taking care of someone that was
delayed. This 7 AM flight boarded on time but took off at 10 AM due to
fog but that was not AI's fault. I am not sure when my original 4 AM flight
took off if at all..

2. BOM to GOI: This flight boarded few minutes late but was delayed
90 minutes because a crew member was missing. This was from Mumbai
where I assume they have lots of crew. These things happen but from what
I have been reading, happen to AI a lot..

Lounge facilities in DEL were OK. Internet was not working. BOM lounge
is a contract lounge and service was good with good internet.
Baggage was delivered OK but not priority although I had the * Gold.
These were short flights (2 and 1 hour) but they managed to give some
food. The food quality was not that great even in Business. The service was choppy
and not smooth in business...

Fortunately most of the flights in India are short duration so you can
ignore the poor on board services. The ground service of AI definitely
needs some work..

F.A.

Last edited by flyalways; Feb 13, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
DEL fog delays are something that you need to plan for with any airline during the wintertime. Most flights (whether they are coming from China or originating in India) are likely to get delayed during early morning hours, and cascading delays all day are common.

As far as being forced to pay the upgrade fee to be rebooked in Business, that's pretty standard practice in the industry. At least AI offers affordable buyups - once, UA canceled a PHX-CLE flight I was on due to maintenance, and they charged me $800 to snag a biz seat on PHX-EWR!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I have flown AI in Business class and had a good experience - except that they "lost" my baggage going to DAC and coming from DAC. Origin was DXB. Eventually I got the baggage within 24 hours.

In September, during Eid, I have a week holiday and I will fly (DXB-CMB) Business class and will have carry-on only. Faster at arrival. On the return flight, I expect a MAA stop over of 24 hours because of connection issues - but there (apparently) is no layover provisions even though the schedule issue at MAA is AI's making.

Does AI have layover provisions at MAA like UL has at CMB? If so, please advise. I cannot find any info on the AI website and it seems I must foot the bill for a hotel in MAA for the 24 hour stop over. It is due to the AI schedule where the CMB-MAA flight arrives as the MAA-DXB is departing. Only 1 flight per day apparently
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
My wife and mother-in-law have not flown on AI for decades - but they will be flying as part of an AC ticketed itinerary in a few weeks.

They will be flying DEL-BOM staying overnight, and then flying BOM-DEL. This will be in business class. My mother has Star Alliance Gold status with Air Canada - my mother-in-law has no status with any airline.

One concern; they did get the impression in the past - correctly or not - that the flight attendants seemed to be more attentive to the non-Indian passengers' needs compared to the Indian passengers' needs.

PPS-I have flown on Indian airlines (economy) domestically in the 1960s and 1970s - so that is my frame of reference. I now fly mostly on AC in J class internationally - sometimes LX/LH/TK/Thai/Asiana/SQ. So how does AI's international business class compare to those airlines?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by tmac100
Does AI have layover provisions at MAA like UL has at CMB? If so, please advise. I cannot find any info on the AI website and it seems I must foot the bill for a hotel in MAA for the 24 hour stop over. It is due to the AI schedule where the CMB-MAA flight arrives as the MAA-DXB is departing. Only 1 flight per day apparently
Usually there is a clear statement that AI will pick up the STPC charges in the stopover (SO) conditions of your fare. In the example below I picked the SO of the FRA SYD fare, I can't find the same text in a random DXB CMB fare.

Code:
>fqn12*so
FQN12*SO                                                                        
**  RULES DISPLAY  **                  TAX MAY APPLY                            
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE                 
22FEB16**22FEB16/AI FRASYD/NSP;EH/TPM 10256/MPM 12780                           
LN FARE BASIS    OW   EUR  RT   B PEN  DATES/DAYS   AP MIN MAX R                
12 JHAU12DE                2550 J  +  S01JAN  31DEC+  + 7  12M R                
FCL: JHAU12DE  TRF:   4 RULE: DE04 BK:  J                                       
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: BR -BUSINESS CLASS RESTRICTED                  
SO.STOPOVERS                                                                    
FOR FARES WITH FOOTNOTE 6H                                                      

2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT                                     
     LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND UNLIMITED AT EUR 75.00 EACH.                         
       NONE IN GERMANY                                                          
       1 FREE IN INDIA                                                          
       UNLIMITED AT EUR 75.00 EACH.                                             
         NOTE -                                                                 
          STPC INCLUDED IN FARE // OR INDIAN TRANSIT VIA                        
          FEES OF EUR 40 - WILL BE REIMBURSED ON PRODUCTION                     
          OF VALID VISA AND RECIEPT                                             
                                                  PAGE  1/ 1                    
>fqd dxbcmb/aai
FQD DXBCMB/AAI                                                                  
AF  AY  AZ  BA  BD  CI  CX  EK  EY     TAX MAY APPLY                            
FZ  GF  HU  IC  JL  KL  KQ  KU  LH     SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE                 
LO  LX  MH  MJ  MU  NH  OK  QR  SN                                              
SQ  SV  TG  TK  UL  WY  9W  /YY*AA                                              
AC  AF  AK  A0  BG  CA  C6  DN  DY                                              
D2  D7  EK  E6  FD  FR  FZ  GI  GX                                              
G5  HV  H1  JD  J2  KC  KE  LH  LL                                              
LQ  LS  MF  OD  O2  QH  QW  QZ  RB                                              
RY  R3  R8  SB  SP  TB  TW  T4  UA                                              
UN  UR  U2  VB  VK  VY  V7  WW  W7                                              
XF  XJ  XY  X5  YC  YZ  ZJ  Z2  2L                                              
4Q  4U  5Q  6Q  7A  7C  8I  9B  9G                                              
9H  9Q  9X                                                                      
ROE 3.672970 UP TO 10.00 AED                                                    
22FEB16**22FEB16/AI DXBCMB/NSP;EH/TPM  2043/MPM  2451                           
LN FARE BASIS    OW   AED  RT   B PEN  DATES/DAYS   AP MIN MAX R                
01 CLOWAE        1520           C  +  B31MAR O31MAR+ -  -   -  R                
02 CLRTAE                  3030 C  +  B31MAR O31MAR+ -  -  12M R                
03 DLOWAE        1420           D  +  B31MAR O31MAR+ -  -   -  R                
04 DLE6MAE                 2730 D  +  B31MAR O31MAR+ -  -   6M R                
>                                                 PAGE  1/ 4                    
>fqn4*so
FQN4*SO                                                                         
**  RULES DISPLAY  **                  TAX MAY APPLY                            
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE                 
22FEB16**22FEB16/AI DXBCMB/NSP;EH/TPM  2043/MPM  2451                           
LN FARE BASIS    OW   AED  RT   B PEN  DATES/DAYS   AP MIN MAX R                
04 DLE6MAE                 2730 D  +  B31MAR O31MAR+ -  -   6M R                
FCL: DLE6MAE   TRF:  33 RULE: AEIN BK:  D                                       
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: BX -BUSINESS CLASS EXCURSION                   
SO.STOPOVERS                                                                    

2 FREE STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH                    
      DIRECTION IN INDIA.                                                       
         NOTE -                                                                 
          DOMESTIC YQ WILL BE APPLICABLE.                                       
                                                  PAGE  1/ 1                    
>
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My wife and mother-in-law have not flown on AI for decades - but they will be flying as part of an AC ticketed itinerary in a few weeks.

They will be flying DEL-BOM staying overnight, and then flying BOM-DEL. This will be in business class. My mother has Star Alliance Gold status with Air Canada - my mother-in-law has no status with any airline.

One concern; they did get the impression in the past - correctly or not - that the flight attendants seemed to be more attentive to the non-Indian passengers' needs compared to the Indian passengers' needs.

PPS-I have flown on Indian airlines (economy) domestically in the 1960s and 1970s - so that is my frame of reference. I now fly mostly on AC in J class internationally - sometimes LX/LH/TK/Thai/Asiana/SQ. So how does AI's international business class compare to those airlines?
AI's business class is 2-2 seating like in the US doemstic F service. Food service is amazing (like the thali setting they are now offering for indian option along with chai cups that look like earthern pots ), yesterday I did CCU-DEL they did a three course meal on a two hour flight, with pre departure drinks etc. Very caring of all pax, we had Indogermans like me, one European, one elderly couple, politicians etc etc. All were treated nicely and they took good care of all of us.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:13 pm

Recent AI business class trip report

-I have flown on Indian airlines (economy) domestically in the 1960s and 1970s - so that is my frame of reference. I now fly mostly on AC in J class internationally - sometimes LX/LH/TK/Thai/Asiana/SQ. So how does AI's international business class compare to those airlines?

I wrote a trip report Jan 2016 on a four sector AI trip UK - DEL - AUSTRALIA business class trip. The flights were good, quite a few positive points and one or two not so good. R
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AI's business class is 2-2 seating like in the US doemstic F service. Food service is amazing (like the thali setting they are now offering for indian option along with chai cups that look like earthern pots ), yesterday I did CCU-DEL they did a three course meal on a two hour flight, with pre departure drinks etc. Very caring of all pax, we had Indogermans like me, one European, one elderly couple, politicians etc etc. All were treated nicely and they took good care of all of us.
I hope that the AI flight from BOM to LHR is more than what is offered in a domestic premium cabin of a 2 class airplane flown in USA. I hope that there are truly horizontal flat beds in the business class cabin of that flight.

I would however guess, for those who have flown AC - that AI does not offer the private pods in their business class cabin.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I hope that the AI flight from BOM to LHR is more than what is offered in a domestic premium cabin of a 2 class airplane flown in USA.
that is what is offered on the domestic sector here in india....

I hope that there are truly horizontal flat beds in the business class cabin of that flight.
yes they do....

I would however guess, for those who have flown AC - that AI does not offer the private pods in their business class cabin.
they do not....
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I hope that the AI flight from BOM to LHR is more than what is offered in a domestic premium cabin of a 2 class airplane flown in USA.
You asked what the product is like on BOM-DEL. BOM-LHR is changing the goalposts a bit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.