Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

flight awards ex India - excessive taxes, fees etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite

I was shocked when I was quoted almost USD 400 in taxes, YQ etc for a simple BLR-BKK//SIN-BLR award in business class (I class) on TG and SQ today. Im using SK miles/points.

This is almost the same as we pay in taxes and fee for awards Europe-Asia, i.e. awards that are 2 times as expensive in miles/points and 2-3 times the distance India-Asia and much higer YQ.

What is going on?

Edit: I now realise that this must be the Indian service tax (JN) which applies for flights ex India. It seems that SK is calculating the service tax based on a full fare ticket whereas other FFP calculate it only on the YQ, fees, etc. I tried to make a dummy booking on ANA and the JN turned out to be considerably less.

Last edited by SK AAR; Nov 10, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the tax & yq element is different for most airlines....for example, the amount for the 2 international airlines in india varies significantly....ai will charge $300+ for a one way del-lhr redemption while 9w will charge about $30 for the same sector....
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I was shocked when I was quoted almost USD 400 in taxes, YQ etc for a simple BLR-BKK//SIN-BLR award in business class (I class) on TG and SQ today. Im using SK miles/points.

This is almost the same as we pay in taxes and fee for awards Europe-Asia, i.e. awards that are 2 times as expensive in miles/points and 2-3 times the distance India-Asia and much higer YQ.

What is going on?

Edit: I now realise that this must be the Indian service tax (JN) which applies for flights ex India. It seems that SK is calculating the service tax based on a full fare ticket whereas other FFP calculate it only on the YQ, fees, etc. I tried to make a dummy booking on ANA and the JN turned out to be considerably less.
BKK and SIN both destinations have very high YQ as compared to the ticket price from / to India. I don't know the reason for this though.

It is best to purchase these flights outright or redeem via HKG on CX or Cx/TG or via KL.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:11 am

Depends heavily on which airline is being used and also on which program you are using.

Redeeming AA miles on CX via HKG will have minimal fuel surcharges and only actual airport departure taxes. You can use matrix software to determine the actual breakdown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.