Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to American Express Plat Charge Card ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading to American Express Plat Charge Card ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by deovrat
Thanks for the info
I assume you filled out a paper application, as it cannot be applied for online.
Yes, my RM picked up the paperwork for me. I didn't have a invite and had no cards in India. I just called my RM and told her I want this card and she took care of the rest.
I asked about minimum income criteria for the card out of curiosity and was told it was 200k INR per month.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Yes, my RM picked up the paperwork for me. I didn't have a invite and had no cards in India. I just called my RM and told her I want this card and she took care of the rest.
I asked about minimum income criteria for the card out of curiosity and was told it was 200k INR per month.
Another data point, good to know ^
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:33 am

Do you guys happen to know the criteria for Premium version of the card? (Diners Club Premium). I have the rewardz card from 15 months and want to upgrade to premium. Their Customer Care doesn't seem to know anything about the upgrade process.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
I applied for the Premium card directly while logged in to netbanking account and was instantly approved. No verification calls, no documents. They directly mailed the card to me. Its a lifetime free version too.

I don't think there's a steep criteria for Diners Premium. If you have it for more than a year, I reckon mailing out this form to them should do the trick:
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: CX - Gold, EY- Plat, HGP - Diamond, Accor - Plat, SPG - Gold, IHG - Plat Amb
Originally Posted by sidflyertalk
Hi Guys,

Quick update for anyone facing a similar quandry in the future - After multiple calls with American Express - I have finally been told that it would not be possible to offer the Platinum charge card without the fees - They insist that the fee would be removed from the second year onwards if the spend pattern I have demonstrated continues.

They have although offered me to get any other card (I am thinking the Platinum Reserve Credit card) first year free. Any thoughts ?

As an aside the HDFC black seems like a really nice card (allows 1:1 points transfer to Mariott and Hyatt!) however it seems that they have some super high criteria for it being invitation only. Any thoughts on how to get that ? I remember reading on threads here that Keyser and A2A had it - Would appreciate if you guys can share your experience!
Hi SidFlyer,

As a Amex Plat Card holder I can tell you the value lies more in terms of what they offer outside of point accumulation. My main uses for the plat card being:

1/ Free upgrade on EY revenue Biz tickets to F across the EY Partner network
2/ FHR program for hotels which usually comes with 3rd or 4th night free plus late checkout and 100 USD credit for food/spa/etc
3/ Membership to Taj IC and Epicure Gold (essentially 25% off on spends)
4/ Club ITC membership (again 25% off of spends)
5/ Accor plat card (comes with guaranteed club access and at times suite upgrades from basic room bookings).

Hope that helps!

Could you advise if this Amex policy of waiving fees is internally documented or was an exception in your case?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:58 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
amex does not waive fees for plat. that is policy.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: 9W PLT, EK Gold, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Trident PLT, Taj Gold, EY Gold, Mariott/Ritz Gold
Hey all,

Quick updates:

Yes Amex refuses to make the plat card free of charge indeed as A2A mentioned.

On the Diner's black I got approved but am yet to see the card. I have moved to the middle east in the interim so maybe the package is waiting at home when I am back. Not sure !

In other news: ENBD has just launched an SPG co branded card in the UAE - Thinking of getting that !
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: O6 GOLD, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by sidflyertalk
Hey all,

Quick updates:

Yes Amex refuses to make the plat card free of charge indeed as A2A mentioned.

On the Diner's black I got approved but am yet to see the card. I have moved to the middle east in the interim so maybe the package is waiting at home when I am back. Not sure !

In other news: ENBD has just launched an SPG co branded card in the UAE - Thinking of getting that !
Have you seen the fee and the bonus eligibility requirements, the card is not that great.

50,000 bonus Starpoints

25,000 Starpoints Joining bonus
Get a Joining bonus of 25,000 Starpoints automatically credited to your SPG account upon activation of the Emirates NBD SPG World MasterCard and payment of the applicable Joining Fees.

Additional 25,000 Starpoints
You can earn an additional 25,000 Starpoints on cumulative retail spends of US$ 20,000 in the first 3 billing statements.

the card comes with a pretty steep joining fee of 2,500 AED (about $680) for the first year, and a subsequent annual fee of 1,500 AED (about $408) for the second year and beyond.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I have Amex Platinum Reserve (India) and the points accumulation is underwhelming. Especially after moving here from US.

The problem with the other rewards is my travel is more international than local. Thinking of getting Citibank Prestige Card because of 2 reward points for every 100 INR spend overseas. Thoughts?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by kumarshah
I have Amex Platinum Reserve (India) and the points accumulation is underwhelming. Especially after moving here from US.

The problem with the other rewards is my travel is more international than local. Thinking of getting Citibank Prestige Card because of 2 reward points for every 100 INR spend overseas. Thoughts?
If you have access to US credit card market then try for US Citi Prestige/ Amex Plat/ Chase Sapphire preferred in order of preference.

That will be the best option for you, otherwise go for Indian Citi Prestige or HDFC Diners Black.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by romania2007
If you have access to US credit card market then try for US Citi Prestige/ Amex Plat/ Chase Sapphire preferred in order of preference.

That will be the best option for you, otherwise go for Indian Citi Prestige or HDFC Diners Black.
Have to get Indian card, I can get a US card but then payment has to be made from US bank account for which then I would need to transfer money from here which is against RBI/FEMA regulations.

Thanks, I think Citi Prestige (India) looks good.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:28 pm

Do you get classified as NRA or RA for US purposes? depending on the answer you may send transfers without violating FEMA.

The reason I recommended US cards is because of no forex fee for intl transactions which no card in india offers (except Amex plat maybe).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by romania2007
Do you get classified as NRA or RA for US purposes? depending on the answer you may send transfers without violating FEMA.

The reason I recommended US cards is because of no forex fee for intl transactions which no card in india offers (except Amex plat maybe).
I am now living in India and am an Indian resident and citizen, hence the FEMA violation if I transfer any money. Otherwise yea, I would use US cards the most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.