Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Assistance Needed for First-time Traveler to India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assistance Needed for First-time Traveler to India

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bioflyer
I would request you to double check.. as far as I am aware - DL46 the flight which used to come to BOM has been stopped by DL as of 03/28/15.

Only option DL would provide is a routing through CDG as there are no flights as of now to BOM via AMS - Neitehr DL nor KLM - So in any case it would be appropriate to prefer DEL both ways.

Please check!
This is correct. I'm dumbfounded. Sorry for misinformation.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:02 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Having recently done this, DEL is more like arriving to a large London Heathrow style airport than any pre-conceived notions of run down airports in India. Large duty free, large arrivals area, and Costa Coffee immediately in the arrivals hall!! It's very easy to navigate, and similar to the large airports in Asia.

If not doing, Taj Mahal, there is a new looking JW Marriott immediately off the airport property (not walkable) that seems very close to the airport. I did not stay, only drove by.

We stayed at the Leela Palace New Delhi, and they were excellent. Highly professional and discreet service. However, they are 20-30 minutes away in the embassy district.

We also did their day Agra tour. We left at 8:30 AM, and didn't return until about 7 PM. A long day, but very worthwhile.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Alaska Airlines, Delta, Hilton, Omni, Marriott, USAir
Thanks bioflyer and irfan. I will check closing which metal is flying where, to make sure he doesn't have to deal with KLM's seats.

I'm very grateful for everyone's patience in this thread, as I have zero experience booking into India.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:08 pm

DL would connect in LHR to Virgin to Delhi.That might be a good option. Also, connecting through bombay to domestic network might sometimes need a terminal transfer depending on airline, which I dont think is a pleasant thing to do.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by mrahul
Also, connecting through bombay to domestic network might sometimes need a terminal transfer depending on airline, which I dont think is a pleasant thing to do.
This I can confirm. Whatever happens don't make a first-time traveler arrive in BOM and have to do the int'l to dom transfer. Just let him go to a hotel, sleep, and come back next day directly to domestic.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by irfan23
This I can confirm. Whatever happens don't make a first-time traveler arrive in BOM and have to do the int'l to dom transfer. Just let him go to a hotel, sleep, and come back next day directly to domestic.
+1

I second that and if preferring DEL and no plans of a stay over in DEL than get Jet/AI to Indore as both operate from T3 and there won't be a terminal change in DEL than. If any other domestic airline, than a terminal change at DEL would also be required.

As a side note, if in-case you prefer DEL than I would say you have DL/KLM - UA/LH/LX as the options - I won't prefer AC due to my past experiences.

But as Irfan23 mentioned it would be Angled flat seats on 2-class KLM 330-200 from AMS-DEL. Other options being UA/LX/LH - UA would get you a single PNR with Jet and also baggage aligning till IDR provided you fly throughout till India with UA which in my opinion is a sub-par F/J with atrocious service/food.

However if you ask me, I would rather prefer UA to JFK from MSY and LH via JFK as it would be 747-8i to FRA and A380 to DEL. Both LH 747/A380 would be great to choose in F.

All of the above flights can get you in DEL to leverage an early morning Jet from DEL to IDR - The only flight which has J from DEL-IDR. For the night you can consider, Eaton airport hotel for rest or prefer to be in lounge for odd 5 hours.

Apologies for the longer post!! Cheers!!

Last edited by Bioflyer; May 5, 2015 at 11:24 pm
Old May 6, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Wow!

I'm so glad all of you have experience. It's interesting how your posts spark further information, as well.

mrahul, thanks for this:
Also, connecting through bombay to domestic network might sometimes need a terminal transfer depending on airline, which I dont think is a pleasant thing to do.
To prevent the terminal change I will suggest DEL with a straight flight to IDR. If he decides he wants to go Agra, that can be the last day of the trip, after his presentation.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
...there is a new looking JW Marriott immediately off the airport property (not walkable) that seems very close to the airport. I did not stay, only drove by.
This is so helpful! The connecting flights to IDR are my challenge now. Either 25(!!)minutes to connect in the evening or a 4-ish hour layover after arriving at 1:20 a.m. A good rest at the JWM is a terrifc (imo, the best) third option.

The reason for the odd arrival times is because he exclusively flies Delta, so the flights are AF.
And, as you can tell, I've taken Agra off the table upon immediate arrival.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by PNResearch
This is so helpful! The connecting flights to IDR are my challenge now. Either 25(!!)minutes to connect in the evening or a 4-ish hour layover after arriving at 1:20 a.m. A good rest at the JWM is a terrifc (imo, the best) third option.

The reason for the odd arrival times is because he exclusively flies Delta, so the flights are AF.
And, as you can tell, I've taken Agra off the table upon immediate arrival.
25 min connection time is inadequate to put it mildly. 4 hrs in middle of night is inhumane. So, yes, JWM Zindabad.
Old May 8, 2015, 3:51 pm

To each their own ... but I'm assuming the cost of these o/w tickets is much much more than buying a single round trip?

Must be fun to travel on OPM!!! I'm surprised your travel dept hasn't caught on yet ... he can't be the only person doing this.

Originally Posted by PNResearch
Yes, Deepsky, I think the two o/w will be best for the international flight. For his recent trip to LHR he made sure I cancelled the r/t and booked two o/w. Delta caps RDM at 75K. With his earning status he would lose miles if the trip is booked as a r/t.

He was considering 4 o/w, with each leg as a separate flight. However, after consulting in the Delta forum, I'm going to strongly recommend the 2 o/w. If he books all 4 segments o/w, he won't have help with connecting flights if there is a delay. There would be no obligation for Delta to assist.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by malgudi; May 8, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Old May 8, 2015, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
The last thing anyone wants to do is to fly from the states to delhi, then go on a 8-10 hour visit down south to Agra in a bus or car and then have business to deal with there after in 2 other cities...

I would have thought rest in a good airport hotel before going on to the two other domestic cities would have been the smarter choice.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
To each their own ... but I'm assuming the cost of these o/w tickets is much much more than buying a single round trip?

Must be fun to travel on OPM!!! I'm surprised your travel dept hasn't caught on yet ... he can't be the only person doing this.

He IS the boss.

It has to be assumed that a travel policy applies for everyone else...
Old May 9, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
You have a lot of good advice here!

Let me just add that whenever he does an Agra trip, he cannot plan to fly the same day. (1) He can return to DEL, spend the night there, and fly the next day. (2) He can spend the night in Agra, leave in the morning and get dropped off at DEL airport, and fly a few hours later (don't make this connection very tight).

If he does not do Agra, then just one night in DEL would be adequate.

Last edited by aktchi; May 9, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Old May 10, 2015, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
You're boss is so brave..to fly all the way from America and then to go straight down to Agra and then on to other meetings in other cities...so brave.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:39 am

I live in Indore, and connecting from Delhi although makes more sense (due to terminal issues in Mumbai), IDR has more options coming from Mumbai, you might want to check that as well. However, let me know in case you require any help in IDR.

Agra should be done on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.