Wiki Posts
Search

AI Interline baggage to EK and AC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

AI Interline baggage to EK and AC?

Hi!
I am traveling from New Delhi to Calgary. I have 2 stopovers at Dubai and London Heathrow.
I have booked my journey on a single ticket but multiple airlines.
New Delhi to Dubai - India
Dubai to London - Emirates
London to Calgary - Air Canada

I am confused regarding the fact that whether my baggage will be checked-in through to my final destination or would I have to recheck-in during the stopover.

Also if I recheck-in my baggage in Dubai or London would I require a transit visa in that case? I have a valid Visa for Canada.

I am travelling solo and for the first time so I'm a bit nervous.
Would appreciate your help.

Last edited by beckoa; Apr 18, 2015 at 11:28 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
baggage through check-in

If you are on a single ticket, your baggage might be checked through, but it may depend how long your connections are. It does not appear Emirates and Air India are interline partners, so you probably will have to collect your baggage post immigration in Dubai. Emirates and Air Canada are interline partners though, so your bag should be checked through from Dubai to Calgary. At Heathrow, you should be able to take a connections bus between terminals without clearing immigration.

Last edited by beckoa; Apr 18, 2015 at 11:31 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It seems AI interlines baggage with EK and CA.

So if issued as one ticket, AI should interline to EK which should interline to CA.

Code:
AI MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       AA  AC  AF  AH  AR  AT  AV  AX  AY  AZ  A3  BA  BD  BE  
       BG  BI  BR  BU  BW  B2  B8  CA  CI  CL  CM  CO  CU  CX  
       CY  CZ  DL  DM  DT  EK  ET  EW  EY  E5  E8  FG  FI  FM  
       FV  GA  GF  GH  GN  G3  HP  HR  HU  HX  HY  IA  IB  IC  
       IG  IR  IY  JD  JE  JJ  JL  JP  JQ  JU  J2  KA  KC  KE  
       KL  KM  KQ  KU  LH  LI  LO  LR  LW  LX  LY  MD  ME  MH  
       MI  MK  MS  MU  MX  NH  NX  NZ  OA  OM  ON  OS  OU  OV  
       OZ  PG  PH  PK  PL  PR  PS  PX  PZ  QF  QI  QL  QM  QR  
       RA  RB  RO  SA  SB  SK  SN  SQ  SU  SV  SW  S2  S7  TA  
       TG  TK  TM  TP  TU  TX  T0  UA  UB  UL  UU  UY  U8  VA  
       VK  VN  VO  VP  VS  VV  WA  WB  WY  W5  XM  YM  YO  ZH  
       Z6  2A  2K  3K  4Q  7D  9I  9W
If there is more then one ticket involved, things will get more complex. Bring your printed itineraries to the ticket counter and leave plenty of time. They may be able to check your bags thru, but there is no guarantee.

As AI is the first carrier in these epic flights, we'll relocate this to the India-Based Airline Forum.

Please note this thread started in the Flame Free Information Desk.

~beckoa co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've interlined between ai & ek so its definitely possible....if you are on 1 ticket then you shouldn't have a problem....
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The key question is if this is on a single PNR: if yes, the the AI agent in DEL sees everything in one screen, pushes a button and the luggage tag till the final destination prints. If not, the AI agent will just refuse to make the effort to tag it till the final destination. In theory they can create a tag, but they will not and cannot be required to do it.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
In theory they can create a tag, but they will not and cannot be required to do it.
Yes, they can definitely do it, and unless the OP is really unlucky, it should not be a big problem.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ayush Gogia
Hi!
I have booked my journey on a single ticket but multiple airlines.
Originally Posted by beckoa
It seems AI interlines baggage with EK and CA.

So if issued as one ticket, AI should interline to EK which should interline to CA.

~beckoa co-moderator Information Desk
Originally Posted by Keyser
i've interlined between ai & ek so its definitely possible....if you are on 1 ticket then you shouldn't have a problem....
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The key question is if this is on a single PNR:
OP did mention that it's a single ticket
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
OP did mention that it's a single ticket
that's precisely why i said that if he is on a single ticket then he will have no problem....
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:49 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
One thing that may be an issue is whether the OP will be checked in the whole way. Bags should be okay.

I recently travelled DEL-IST-YUL-YVR. The travel to Canada was on Turkish, the domestic flight in Canada was on Air Canada.

Delhi was able to tag bags all the way through, but not able to issue boarding cards for Air Canada. Ticket was on one PNR on Air Canada stock.

When we arrived in Canada, after customs, connections desk agent indicated that we hadn't actually been checked in for the Air Canada flights. I was a little surprised as we only had about 10 minutes prior to the flight closing (45 minutes before) and might have lost our seats had we not been prompt at the counters.

My point being that since the OP is travelling on several carriers, on one ticket, not all segments may show as "checked in".

I wouldn't waste time on the connections if you don't have boarding cards for all segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.