Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GuyFromBOM
AI-FR FAQs

Flight Ops
  • All Air India flights in the range AI10 - AI399 and AI900 - AI999 operate from International terminals.
  • At BOM - CSIA, all Air India flights (domestic and international) operate from International Terminal : T2 - with effect from October 1, 2015
  • At AMD - Ahmedabad SVP Airport, all Air India flights operate from International Terminal : T2- including flight AI614.
  • Check-in desks close 45 minutes before STD (Domestic flights)
  • Check-in desks close 60 minutes before STD (Domestic flights operating from International Terminal) (For International flights refer to the copy of eticket)
  • AirIndia Express is the LCC subsidary of AI (all Y seating) and doesn't have FFP concept in their systems.
  • All flights operating under 9I-xxxx series or AI 9xxx are operated by AirIndia Regional (aka Alliance Air - subsidary of AI). FFP benefits: Mileage Earning Only- NO REDEMPTION.

AI - Web Check-In
  • Web Check-In facility is available for most AI operated flights (except flights operated by 9I) from 48 hours prior to departure.
  • Web Check-In on Mobile

Baggage Info
  • AI-FR members get excess baggage allowance of 10kgs (Silver Club), 20kgs (Gold & Maharaja Club) OR 1 piece (upto 23kgs / 50lbs) for Silver, Gold & Maharaja Club members.
  • StarAlliance Gold members flying on AI flights, get excess baggage allowance of 20kgs OR 1 piece (upto 23kgs / 50lbs).
  • AI Baggage Allowance

Air India - Flying Returns FFP

FFP - Earning

FFP - Redemption

Contact Details

Membership Kit Related
  • Contact the Membership Kit dispatch team on +91 (0)22 61342252 (Monday to Friday between 10:00 to 17:00) or send an email to: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

AirIndia - FlyingReturns

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
New Star Alliance Award Chart

Alas, Santa brings bad news for AI-FR !

Their aesthetically pleasing new Star Alliance award chart is now confirmed. The changes take place from tomorrow, 23rd December 2016.

Here's their old chart valid till midnight, 22nd December 2016: http://flyingreturns.co.in/images/do...ward_chart.pdf

And here's the new one. valid from 23rd December 2016 onwards: http://www.flyingreturns.co.in/image...pdated_SAC.pdf

Salient Summary of Enhancements-
- Every single redemption is costlier now, other than some intra-region short flights.
- India to North America: Y redemption goes from 55k one way to 100k one way. 81% increase.
- India to Europe: Y redemption goes from 32.5k one way to 90k one way. 177% increase.
- India to South Pacific: Y redemption goes from 42.5k one way to 90k one way. 146% increase.
- First Class redemptions were 250% of Economy in the earlier chart. Now they go up to 300%.
- No Date Changes allowed once award is booked, you have to cancel award and start new.
- If you cancel the award, you will forfeit 20% miles used for booking.
- Cancellations allowed only till 72 hours before the journey.

Now for the silver lining (!) :
- New chart allows for either 3 layovers, or 2 layovers + 1 stopover. This eliminates a huge frustrating nature of previous chart.
Previous chart only allowed for point-to-point ticketing. e.g. a BOM-FRA-EWR award used to cost BOM-FRA sector + FRA-EWR sector points. That's gone away now thankfully (hopefully?).
- No Fuel surcharge ! ^
However, they will collect INR 1000 per sector as ticketing fees.
- Intra-region short flights < 500 miles are cheaper across the board now. For Intra-USA, flights < 1000 miles also come out ahead in the new chart. In all other regions however, flights > 1000 miles go up.

I wished they might have implemented online booking of partner awards to at least counter their grossly incompetent agents, but I guess I will have to wait for next Christmas for that! I might have to ask myself why the AI-SBI card still loiters around in my wallet anymore.

Thoughts?

P.S.: Those who have a redemption coming and might now look at the old chart wistfully, you might want to move a bit quicker !!

Last edited by deovrat; Dec 24, 2016 at 5:58 am
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: JetPrivilege
Hey guys is there anyway to claim my SQ miles in AI if I have not input the FFP no at time of booking or check in. On AI site it says that "class not valid or not found error" . Is there any way around it ?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by nihit157
Hey guys is there anyway to claim my SQ miles in AI if I have not input the FFP no at time of booking or check in. On AI site it says that "class not valid or not found error" . Is there any way around it ?
Whats your booking class for SQ flight?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
AI FR is refusing to issue ticket for LAS-EWR-DTW for 15k miles on UA as per their new chart. Anyone know how I can get this done?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by avneeshj
AI FR is refusing to issue ticket for LAS-EWR-DTW for 15k miles on UA as per their new chart. Anyone know how I can get this done?
how many miles are they asking for????

the first step would be to try calling back & talking with another agent....
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by avneeshj
Maybe they consider it backtracking??

Are you planning to transit EWR or make it a stopover?

Originally Posted by Keyser

Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:15 am

I tried multiple times with other agents. I had originally placed it on hold an dgenerated PNR last night and they asked me to call back in the morning for payment after all fees had been calculated. On calling back they're saying it is not bookable as 1 single PNR. They want to issue 1 PNR for LAS-EWR for 15k miles and then 1 PNR for EWR-DTW for 5k miles. They're also saying that this would not be connected in any way which would mean my 1 hour connection in EWR would be in danger if I have to claim and re check baggage. In any case being on 2 different PNRs I would not have any IRROPS protection also as explained by them.

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Maybe they consider it backtracking??

Are you planning to transit EWR or make it a stopover?
It is just a transit layover for a Origin - Destination journey of 1749 miles which should allow upto 3 flight segments anyway. However they're not agreeing to this logic and saying this is backtracking and they can't ticket it.

I have had to email them and they've said I'll receive a clarification from them. I have given up hope and just booked a direct LAS-DTW on Delta using my HDFC Diners points. I was just hoping to use some of these useless AI miles that I seem to be swimming in.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
By routing thru EWR you are exceeding the TPM by >25%. ORD or DEN as transit are possible and within 25% of TPM, hence the rejection.

Code:
>fqm las dtt
FQM   LAS   DTT                                                                 

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC LVL  <HGL  >LWL   25M  XTRA                      
LAS 1                                                                           
DTT 1 US  1749  1749                                                            
>                                                 PAGE  1/ 1                    
>fqm las den dtt
FQM   LAS   DEN   DTT                                                           

LAS 1                                                                           
DEN 1 US   609   609                                                            
DTT 1 US  1142  1751                                                            
>fqm las nyc dtt
FQM   LAS   NYC   DTT                                                           

LAS 1                                                                           
NYC 1 US  2225  2225                                                            
DTT 1 US   485  2710                                                            
>fqm las chi dtt
FQM   LAS   CHI   DTT                                                           

LAS 1                                                                           
CHI 1 US  1509  1509                                                            
DTT 1 US   240  1749                                                            
>
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
By routing thru EWR you are exceeding the TPM by >25%. ORD or DEN as transit are possible and within 25% of TPM, hence the rejection.

Code:
>fqm las dtt
FQM   LAS   DTT                                                                 

LAS 1                                                                           
DTT 1 US  1749  1749                                                            
>fqm las den dtt
FQM   LAS   DEN   DTT                                                           

LAS 1                                                                           
DEN 1 US   609   609                                                            
DTT 1 US  1142  1751                                                            
>fqm las nyc dtt
FQM   LAS   NYC   DTT                                                           

LAS 1                                                                           
NYC 1 US  2225  2225                                                            
DTT 1 US   485  2710                                                            
>fqm las chi dtt
FQM   LAS   CHI   DTT                                                           

LAS 1                                                                           
CHI 1 US  1509  1509                                                            
DTT 1 US   240  1749                                                            
>
They never mentioned this on the couple hours I was on the phone with them. I even asked them to take 20k miles as they asked but to put the ticket in 1 PNR but they refused.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond
Cancellation before 72 hours now being charged 20 percent of points for award redemption. Not sure when this was changed from the flat 500 (or 1000) points.

Last edited by paag; Jan 26, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by paag
Cancellation before 72 hours now being charged 20 percent of points for award redemption. Not sure when this was changed from the flat 500 (or 1000) points.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27649116-post226.html
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: United Silver Hilton Gold Virgin Atlantic Silver Le Accos Platinum Air India Silver
Successfully booked a UA award flight using Flying returns miles. ( SFO-DEN-MEM )

Data points - Had to call thrice to complete the booking. Called their US tool free number, and the agent was polite enough to transfer to the Star Alliance desk, and the second agent was good enough when I feeded him the UA flight numbers ( the award availability matched the UA website for X inventory ). Was placed on multiple holds throughout the call for the agent to check the flights, number of miles required, tax amount etc, but eventually the agent could generate a PNR and was asked to call back after couple of hours by when the agent said UA would confirm the availability ( I thought that happened instantly !! ).

Called this morning to check if I can get it ticketed, only to be informed that it's not possible yet. Called the third time and the agent walked me through the process of completing the booking, used a US credit card over the IVR and it went through successfully, was charged 15k miles plus 1532INR.( The same flight would have set me back by $320 )

Not the easiest redemption booking I have done by I must say AI is coming of age with their customer service, all 3 agents I dealt with were very polite and sincerely wanted to help, although I would appreciate AI giving their agents a bit more training when to comes to searching for awards.

Glad to help others if they have any questions.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by BLRtoDFW
Successfully booked a UA award flight using Flying returns miles. ( SFO-DEN-MEM )

Data points - Had to call thrice to complete the booking. Called their US tool free number, and the agent was polite enough to transfer to the Star Alliance desk, and the second agent was good enough when I feeded him the UA flight numbers ( the award availability matched the UA website for X inventory ). Was placed on multiple holds throughout the call for the agent to check the flights, number of miles required, tax amount etc, but eventually the agent could generate a PNR and was asked to call back after couple of hours by when the agent said UA would confirm the availability ( I thought that happened instantly !! ).

Called this morning to check if I can get it ticketed, only to be informed that it's not possible yet. Called the third time and the agent walked me through the process of completing the booking, used a US credit card over the IVR and it went through successfully, was charged 15k miles plus 1532INR.( The same flight would have set me back by $320 )

Not the easiest redemption booking I have done by I must say AI is coming of age with their customer service, all 3 agents I dealt with were very polite and sincerely wanted to help, although I would appreciate AI giving their agents a bit more training when to comes to searching for awards.

Glad to help others if they have any questions.
tried to book a nyc-iad sector today but was told there was no availability on the 2 days i could have traveled on....neither in economy nor in first....ua was showing saver awards so i called back again & the second agent told me the same thing....
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:14 am

tried to book a nyc-iad sector today but was told there was no availability on the 2 days i could have traveled on....neither in economy nor in first....ua was showing saver awards so i called back again & the second agent told me the same thing....
I've found that sometimes Aeroplan shows United space available to Star partners more accurately than UA's own website. If availability matches on AC, AI should probably be able to see it.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deovrat
I've found that sometimes Aeroplan shows United space available to Star partners more accurately than UA's own website. If availability matches on AC, AI should probably be able to see it.
too late now....already booked on delta....will try that next time....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.