Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GuyFromBOM
AI-FR FAQs

Flight Ops
  • All Air India flights in the range AI10 - AI399 and AI900 - AI999 operate from International terminals.
  • At BOM - CSIA, all Air India flights (domestic and international) operate from International Terminal : T2 - with effect from October 1, 2015
  • At AMD - Ahmedabad SVP Airport, all Air India flights operate from International Terminal : T2- including flight AI614.
  • Check-in desks close 45 minutes before STD (Domestic flights)
  • Check-in desks close 60 minutes before STD (Domestic flights operating from International Terminal) (For International flights refer to the copy of eticket)
  • AirIndia Express is the LCC subsidary of AI (all Y seating) and doesn't have FFP concept in their systems.
  • All flights operating under 9I-xxxx series or AI 9xxx are operated by AirIndia Regional (aka Alliance Air - subsidary of AI). FFP benefits: Mileage Earning Only- NO REDEMPTION.

AI - Web Check-In
  • Web Check-In facility is available for most AI operated flights (except flights operated by 9I) from 48 hours prior to departure.
  • Web Check-In on Mobile

Baggage Info
  • AI-FR members get excess baggage allowance of 10kgs (Silver Club), 20kgs (Gold & Maharaja Club) OR 1 piece (upto 23kgs / 50lbs) for Silver, Gold & Maharaja Club members.
  • StarAlliance Gold members flying on AI flights, get excess baggage allowance of 20kgs OR 1 piece (upto 23kgs / 50lbs).
  • AI Baggage Allowance

Air India - Flying Returns FFP

FFP - Earning

FFP - Redemption

Contact Details

Membership Kit Related
  • Contact the Membership Kit dispatch team on +91 (0)22 61342252 (Monday to Friday between 10:00 to 17:00) or send an email to: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

AirIndia - FlyingReturns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bioflyer
@deovrat - I would say above number (011-24624074/75) works for any issues we may face w.r.t our FR account and not only for redemption related issues - As in my case, it was account log-in issues each time.

Cheers!!
Done
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:37 pm

On a side note, I wonder why these issues are not nipped in the bud permanently and why the transitional customer service is not aware.. Oh well...
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by bluecrabs
Oh well...
its AI...(just completing ur sentence )
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Gold
Stop Over and Open Jaw

Does AI allow Stop Over and Open Jaw options while booking tickets via miles either on its own metal or *A?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rajdeep181
Does AI allow Stop Over and Open Jaw options while booking tickets via miles either on its own metal or *A?
Open jaw is possible, but not stopovers on their own metal or *A.
They don't have a stopover yet. Each itinerary will be priced differently.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by rajdeep181
AI allows one-way redemptions, so open-jaw is redundant and hence out of question.
Stopover is available on Star Alliance redemptions theoretically, but good luck getting an agent to understand that and process the same for you. We haven't known anyone getting a stopover successfully on a single itinerary.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:08 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by deovrat
Stopover is available on Star Alliance redemptions theoretically, but good luck getting an agent to understand that and process the same for you. We haven't known anyone getting a stopover successfully on a single itinerary.
I assume we all discussed earlier that AI systems basically do not support a redemption of A to C via B - i.e we have to shed out separate miles for each sector - A to B and than B to C - which in-turn can serve the purpose of Stopover.

Please advise if I am missing something!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Bioflyer
I assume we all discussed earlier that AI systems basically do not support a redemption of A to C via B - i.e we have to shed out separate miles for each sector - A to B and than B to C - which in-turn can serve the purpose of Stopover.

Please advise if I am missing something!
Indeed we did, here.

However, it doesn't technically serve the stop-over purpose. A stop-over should let you make a stop at B while going from A to C at the same price that you'd be charged for a direct flight from A to C.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:09 pm

AI Increases Award Inventory till 22 Oct 2015

Just woke up to this email from AI-FR which stated the following:

1) They've already enhanced award availability from 15 Aug 2015 - 22 Oct 2015.

2) For Domestic Sectors, they will release more seats for redemption 14 days out.
On 7 day mark, they will release even more seats.

3) For International Sectors, they will release more seats for redemption 21 days out.
11 days out, they will release even more seats.

4) The above only applicable from 15 Aug 2015 - 22 Oct 2015.

Thoughts?
AI being generous or is this some sort of added inventory to its own FF members? Currently AI makes the same award inventory available for both its own members and other Star Alliance airlines.

For what its worth, I checked some random close-in dates for both international and domestic sectors for which I know the availability patterns beforehand, and there is no extra inventory as of now. Furthermore, all Star Alliance airlines currently show the same space that AI shows its own members.
Mark this one as developing, but good to see someone in AI's FR program taking some initiative.. ^
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
For what its worth, I checked some random close-in dates for both international and domestic sectors for which I know the availability patterns beforehand, and there is no extra inventory as of now. Furthermore, all Star Alliance airlines currently show the same space that AI shows its own members.
Mark this one as developing, but good to see someone in AI's FR program taking some initiative.. ^
same here....i've been watching award availability for a couple of sectors for the last few weeks & checking those routes & dates show no change as of today....hopefully that will change....
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
Miles upgrade

I intend to upgrade from Y to J using miles, but it seems AI allows it only if the the ticket is booked in certain classes. Any idea if I book in a lower class (through an OTA), can I change my ticket to a higher class later by directly contacting AI - I did it a few years ago with Jet for using upgrade vouchers, but not sure if AI will allow it.

Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by tirajat
I intend to upgrade from Y to J using miles, but it seems AI allows it only if the the ticket is booked in certain classes. Any idea if I book in a lower class (through an OTA), can I change my ticket to a higher class later by directly contacting AI - I did it a few years ago with Jet for using upgrade vouchers, but not sure if AI will allow it.

Thanks
I tried this recently over phone, but the call center agents say it cannot be done. You have to cancel your existing ticket and buy a new one; no matter if the original one is purchased through OTA or AI itself.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
I tried this recently over phone, but the call center agents say it cannot be done. You have to cancel your existing ticket and buy a new one; no matter if the original one is purchased through OTA or AI itself.
I guess I can't do it at all then, since I am travelling on Mumbai-Manila sector - I am not able to book it on AI wensite and with an OTA, I cannot choose the class of booking. Will call AI to book on phone and see if that works.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by tirajat
I guess I can't do it at all then, since I am travelling on Mumbai-Manila sector - I am not able to book it on AI wensite and with an OTA, I cannot choose the class of booking. Will call AI to book on phone and see if that works.
Is your first sector on AI and are you trying to upgrade that sector only? Or all the sectors?
If the cost difference in 2 classes of fares is too big, you'd be better off going for a full award in some cases. Obviously you need to do your math here, but I've found that even buying some AI miles to top up for a full award could come out cheaper in some cases than paying for a higher fare class and still paying a reasonable chunk of miles for upgrade.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:42 am

News: Since Oct 1 2015, all Air India flights (domestic + international) from BOM will depart from Terminal 2 exclusively.

Wiki updated to that effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.