Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which LCC to pick in India?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Which LCC to pick in India?

Am looking at a few flights between BOM-DEL, and BOM-Jaipur. In what order should I look for airlines? Am looking mostly at safety, convenience, and reliability as schedules are flexible, but don't want to face 5hr-delays or fly from an ex-military terminal or something along those lines... Air India and Jet would be fine too. Any ones to avoid in particular?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Avoid Air INDIA
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Hehe, thanks. Am leaning towards GoAir, with IndiGo a close second. Whcih of the two would you recommend? Jet is unfortunately outrageously expensive...
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about the newly formed TATA/SQ airline called Vistara? If not then stick with IndiGo.

https://www.airvistara.com/trip/where-we-fly
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also you may want to ask the Mods to transfer this query to the India Based Airlines forum as you may get more answers.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Vistara looks really nice! They're currently only flying between BOM-DEL (and Ahmedabad) but seem to have a very nice product, so I'll give them a shot.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Avoid Air INDIA
Why avoid AI ? I have heard they have improved in last years.

Anyways between go air and indigo i will choose indigo anyday. Very punctual and competent staff.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:05 pm

All LCCs in India fly from the same airports as Full-Fare carriers - so no worries about distant airports. My first choice would be Indigo - very punctual, clean planes and good cheerful service.

Having said that - i would just pick whichever is cheapest and most convenient. Only one i would avoid like plague is Spicejet.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:29 pm

Indigo is probably the best when it comes to reliability here, Air India comes last.

But in India, LCCs are seldom *significantly* cheaper than the Big guns .
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Originally Posted by RafKa
Am looking at a few flights between BOM-DEL, and BOM-Jaipur. In what order should I look for airlines? Am looking mostly at safety, convenience, and reliability as schedules are flexible, but don't want to face 5hr-delays or fly from an ex-military terminal or something along those lines... Air India and Jet would be fine too. Any ones to avoid in particular?
WHy specifically an LCC? THe difference in fares between Indigo and a FSC like Jet or AI is betw $8 to $20 on most routes. AI and 9W also have visit India fares and packages on routes like JAI which will make them even cheaper.

In Delhi, LCC operate from T1 while AI/9W operate from the T3.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:55 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
As you are Star Silver please check AI - they are not as bad as people think (plus you might get some miles)... For the LCC - IndiGo is quite good. I would rather avoid SpiceJet as there are rumors they might go out of business (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...ic-sector.html).

Pls remember that low costs operate out of the old domestic terminal building in DEL - if you would like to use metro - it only goes to the new Terminal 3 (AI, 9W/S2 domestic and int flights plus all international airlines).
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TPJ
As you are Star Silver please check AI - they are not as bad as people think (plus you might get some miles)... For the LCC - IndiGo is quite good. I would rather avoid SpiceJet as there are rumors they might go out of business (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...ic-sector.html).

Pls remember that low costs operate out of the old domestic terminal building in DEL - if you would like to use metro - it only goes to the new Terminal 3 (AI, 9W/S2 domestic and int flights plus all international airlines).
Jet is a LH partner so OP should be able to earn LH miles on Jet.

I put my preference of airlines whenever I travel on India in this order:
1. Jet
2. Indigo
3. AI

Jet is definitely the most professional airline in India.

Being both OWE and *G, I get miles into my TK account from both Jet & AI (Jet can also credit to AA). I put Indigo above AI for reliability and quality of service.

SpiceJet is way too unreliable.

*** I miss Kingfisher though
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll look into Jet's Visit India fares, and will report back on my eventual choices.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RafKa
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll look into Jet's Visit India fares, and will report back on my eventual choices.
Good luck.

irrespective of who you fly, have fun!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:58 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22

*** I miss Kingfisher though
Agree!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.