Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Could sale of Alcohol in the skies help IBAs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could sale of Alcohol in the skies help IBAs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
May be on flights 2 hours or longer (with an exception for the most travelled DEL-BOM sector to be included) with a maximum of one per person might work for flights departing after 12 noon. I am sure they can control the drinks to a large extent. Recently travelled AI on a long haul flight and did not see any issues.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I hear you and totally agree that this isn't warranted, but, how is it any different on a domestic flight compared to international flight.
The crowd is different on a domestic Indian flight compared to the crowd on longer-haul international flights to/from India.

Given what I've seen some passengers get away with in terms of drunk and disorderly behavior on flights to and from India, I can't say I welcome more alcohol being consumed on more flights within India -- especially not when crew members of Indian airlines are not necessarily reliable or all that eager in detecting or interdicting drunk/borderline drunk passengers before the drunken disorderly behavior ends up taking place.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Keyser
my concern is not how well trained the crew is but with the way people in india treat the crew....i have seen enough instances of people thinking they are far superior & treating crew as if their sole purpose is to serve them just because they have bought a ticket....they don't listen to the crew & a prime example is the chaos while boarding a flight or getting up & trying to rush out of the flight the moment it lands....

last week on a bbi-del flight i saw a passenger yell at the stewardess because they ran out of non-veg options by the time the food cart reached his seat....a couple of months ago on a bom-del flight a passenger was giving the flight attendant a piece of his mind because he was having a headache & his preferred pain killer was not on board....what do you think people like this will do if they are denied alcohol????

a friend of mine is an air hostess with ai & she has told me countless horror stories of indian passengers being drunk on her flights....i have personally seen many instances of these passengers who have no control over their alcohol....

i'm not saying stuff like this does not happen outside india....it certainly does....but i have seen enough instances of indian passengers to convince myself that it would be a bad idea to serve alcohol on domestic flights....

try explaining that to yatindalvi....

the chances of it getting ugly in a small confined space are much more....
I haven't flown much domestic in India, generally take about 2-3 business trips to India (PNQ/BLR) from BOS so I will take your word on people being 'knocked out drunk' though I still believe that crews may be able to give people only limited quantities of alcohol (it could also be made a policy).

The reason I thought of it is, it's a little frustrating to see domestic carriers going out of business while most carriers world wide are making record profit.

Off track, another thing missing in Indian aviation is connecting flights. A hub or 2 across the country could allow airlines to provide more effective connections (yes, the flying time may increase but pricing can be controlled and probably higher load factors)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Selling booze inflight will not pull an airline into profits, filling seats with high yield passengers is the only solution. Yield per passenger is one of the lowest in India, and its not getting better. Indigo taught people to only pay a bit above railway fares and getting that out of the system will take a bankruptcy of two. 9W will not go away, AI neither. Spicejet may have gone belly up this year, but Air Asia and Vistara just started.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Selling booze inflight will not pull an airline into profits, filling seats with high yield passengers is the only solution. Yield per passenger is one of the lowest in India, and its not getting better. Indigo taught people to only pay a bit above railway fares and getting that out of the system will take a bankruptcy of two. 9W will not go away, AI neither. Spicejet may have gone belly up this year, but Air Asia and Vistara just started.
True, the load factors are way too low (and ofcourse the prices are low too).

I think having a more complex infrastructure of hubs with feeder flights in smaller planes so that you can fill up the larger jets flying to metros, though it may take time for people to understand that they either pay INR 12,000 to go DEL-BOM non stop or change planes in say Indore.

On a side note, I will say it was Deccan which taught people to only pay a bit above train ticket cost (at times even less than train).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
True, the load factors are way too low (and ofcourse the prices are low too).

I think having a more complex infrastructure of hubs with feeder flights in smaller planes so that you can fill up the larger jets flying to metros, though it may take time for people to understand that they either pay INR 12,000 to go DEL-BOM non stop or change planes in say Indore.

On a side note, I will say it was Deccan which taught people to only pay a bit above train ticket cost (at times even less than train).
A more pronounced shift to further concentrate air traffic into a hub and spoke system? That is going to struggle to reach success, absent a lot of capacity cutting and capacity restraint. India and self-restraint? Good luck with that when the supply is free-flowing.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:20 pm

When private airlines were first introduced in India, they tried to distinguish themselves by serving free liquor. I seem to recall there were a number of problems with passengers until the govt banned alcohol on flights. That may be what Keyser is remembering

But paid alcohol is a different matter altogether (need I say more about national characteristics). It should not be an unusual problem. For the same reason, it will not be a significant source of profit for the airlines
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:57 am

Paid alcohol could make a difference

As against free alcohol which we Indians love to consume in plenty as it is phreeee...paid alcohol could make a difference. Charge high for it like a downtown restaurant in a metro city; people who can afford will pay and drink; and they may not drink beyond a certain point. It is not that problems will completely disappear, but not as much as when it is free booze.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I just wish we could get pre-departure drinks on international flights. There's just something fundamentally wrong about not getting that glass of champers! LOL

Seriously, though, there doesn't seem to me to be any sensible reason for the ban, when alcohol is allowed on international flights departing from India (once they have left the ground, anyway).
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
I just wish we could get pre-departure drinks on international flights. There's just something fundamentally wrong about not getting that glass of champers! LOL
Well, for sparkling wine to be served pre departure, they have to cater duty paid stuff additionally, which adds to the costs. Once doors are closed, the duty unpaid stuff can be served (on international flights).
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG

Seriously, though, there doesn't seem to me to be any sensible reason for the ban, when alcohol is allowed on international flights departing from India (once they have left the ground, anyway).
I love pre departure drinks.
For domestic segments, I really don't understand why NOT paid Alcohol?

I find not selling Alcohol as silly as forcing people to have security checked tags on their hand baggage.

I have totally failed to understand why all airports in India make u put those small tags on your handbags (and stamp them at security)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
The DGCA rules banning alcohol on domestic had nothing to do with any incident on Damania, though they were the first to start alcohol service on domestic. IC did introduce beer on some domestic runs (AB3 flights) as a test.

It changed after an ugly episode on a late night IC flight on DEL-BOM which was operated by an all-woman crew. For some time after that, crew scheduling was required to place atleast 1 male cabin crew on every flight which was difficult to do in IC. This incident caused a rethink and prompted DGCA to put an end to inflight liquor on domestic.

Agree with @Keyser that Indians cannot handle liquor. Passengers from a certain western state where prohibition is in effect are the worst in this regard! Have seen passengers ask attendants for booze immediately on boarding while aircraft is still on ground and make a scene when they are refused!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I disagree. AI serves liquor (and that too free) on many short international flights to Middle East and they are able to control the passengers who are largely workers going back and forth.

In domestic flights for routes which are 2 hours or longer, if they charge something like Rs. 500 for a beer or wine and to be competitive with the airport beer/wine charges (no liquor to begin with), only a limited number of passengers will take it up and should not cause a problem with the airlines getting some extra money. Liquor could be introduced based on beer/wine sales and behavior of passengers.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashishp
The DGCA rules banning alcohol on domestic had nothing to do with any incident on Damania, though they were the first to start alcohol service on domestic. IC did introduce beer on some domestic runs (AB3 flights) as a test.

It changed after an ugly episode on a late night IC flight on DEL-BOM which was operated by an all-woman crew. For some time after that, crew scheduling was required to place atleast 1 male cabin crew on every flight which was difficult to do in IC. This incident caused a rethink and prompted DGCA to put an end to inflight liquor on domestic.

Agree with @Keyser that Indians cannot handle liquor. Passengers from a certain western state where prohibition is in effect are the worst in this regard! Have seen passengers ask attendants for booze immediately on boarding while aircraft is still on ground and make a scene when they are refused!
I think DGCA may have over reacted to the liquor incident on the IC flight. Once you get a couple of persons arrested (and slapped fines like INR 100,000) for creating a scene after consuming too much alcohol, the problem should disappear for good.

As of drunk passengers making a scene, how is it different to handle passengers on a say BOM-DXB flight compared to a BOM-DEL flight?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:10 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
As alcohol is legal in most of India (is Gujarat still the only dry state?), I am not sure why airlines should be baned from SELLING (and not giving for free!) booze on domestic flights? On a separate note, I think I have never seen drunken people in India...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.