Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SpiceJet cancels over 1,800 flights in domestic sector

Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

http://www.rediff.com/business/repor...r/20141208.htm

In Short, I give the airline 2 years.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:28 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
i wonder what is news here. cancellations were ongoing since at least 3 weeks. did the papers discover it now when SG finally published a schedule, or did they just get the big number 1800 that they would need to make it a front page headline. The airline is going through a tough time, yes. they are taking measures, yes. but those comments from the aviation minister were unwarranted
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by A2A
but those comments from the aviation minister were unwarranted
i agree....

but things don't look too good for spicejet at the moment....
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Spicejet is being killed of by its rivals - and the current govt wants it gone!

If it matters, SpiceJet just issued this clarification:

http://centreforaviation.com/members...picejet-199994
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
In Short, I give the airline 2 years.
It's starting to look like they'll be lucky to survive 2 weeks: today all flights were grounded, because nobody is willing to sell them fuel any more.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-30510278
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Looks like another Indian carrier will bite the dust.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It looks like their effort to take on Indigo in Q3 was good but essentially killed their margins:

http://theflyingengineer.com/2014/11...s-performance/
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The promoter comes to the rescue:

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...?homepage=true
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:07 pm

Sadly, my flight was cancelled (though it showed as on time with my confirmation number). To make my next connection, I had to spend $650 on an Air India ticket as all "domestic" flights were full by the time I arrived at the airport. Air India had the filthiest plane I've ever flown on.

Oh, and the Indian papers take the perspective that the owner wants Spicejet to fail, for whatever that perspective is worth.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:54 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
This is going down the KF way.. Not sure if the government wants it to go away, but they have absolutely no reason or incentive to bail it out..

On a slightly unrelated noted, just noticed that one of the BLR-CCU flight is completely off the rooster.. My mom was booked on it.. thankfully they were efficiently accommodated her on another flight, so all good, so far..
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SusanKennedy
To make my next connection, I had to spend $650 on an Air India ticket as all "domestic" flights were full by the time I arrived at the airport.
That seems very high for Indian standards. May I ask what route you were flying?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:28 pm

Delhi to Chennai; Air India; only business class tickets were available and I had no way to contact my driver or host on the other end.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SusanKennedy
Sadly, my flight was cancelled (though it showed as on time with my confirmation number). To make my next connection, I had to spend $650 on an Air India ticket as all "domestic" flights were full by the time I arrived at the airport. Air India had the filthiest plane I've ever flown on.

Oh, and the Indian papers take the perspective that the owner wants Spicejet to fail, for whatever that perspective is worth.
This story is beginning to look similar to Kingfisher. A rich owner who owns other successful companies, dabbles in airline industry, may be was hoping to unload the company some day to some other company for a profit.

With the ultra competitive environment in India and some questionable government policies, it obviously did not work. If it fails, the banks which hold the loans on this company will write it off. In addition, they will not pay the salaries either to employees. The owner ends up losing only a smaller amount. To revive the company it will take a herculean task, probably not going to happen.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SpiceJet Rescue Plan Seen By End January

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.