Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor Experience with Jet Airways

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Poor Experience with Jet Airways

It is with great regret to inform you that my wife and two small children has had a very bad experience while traveling to a connecting domestic flight 9W 336.

We had booked a connecting flight from Mumbai to Nagpur, as in ticket numbers 589-5822388604, 589-5822388605 and 589-5822388606. On 21 Nov 2014, at 2000hrs EST, we were informed that our flight was cancelled, with no explanation or additional information. We were told that we have no choice but to take the next flight or get our money back and make other travel arrangements. To avoid further hassles, we chose to take the next flight. Immediately, we had to reorganize our travel plans from Nagpur to the final destination (four hours further), which was quite a struggle, as everything was booked in advance. In addition, now my family had to wait 8 hrs in Mumbai after travelling 16 - 20 hrs and not knowing any one there, with no planned place to shower, rest and eat breakfast.

We called Jet Airways at 011912239893333 and explained our situation and requested that, because Jet Airways has cancelled the flight, the company should provide some compensation that would allow my family to get some rest, shower and eat. We also explained that my children, one of which is Asthmatic, are traveling for the first time and my wife is going to India after 10 years, which brings forth health concerns due to lack of immunity to the air quality in India, not to mention the extreme exhaustion of traveling for a long period of time with two small children. All we got was there is nothing that can be done because accommodations can only be offered if delays are more than 24 hrs and lounges at the airport are for business class passengers. We had suggested that an exception be made to allow my family to stay in the lounge, based on the fact that your air line has cancelled the flight and is the cause of our demise. We were told to talk with the Airport Authority. When asked if your representatives could give us a contact, we were denied the info. We suggested a conference call, but was denied that as well. We had offered to have the tickets upgraded to business class, at the expense of Jet Airways. We tried reasoning, such as, if this had happened to their family, what would they have done. But we did not receive any form of humanity or compassion. We even tried to speak to upper management, But, instead we were transferred to other supervisors of the same level. Despite spending 5 hours on the phone (from 1200 hrs to 0500 hrs EST - which is our sleeping time), all refused to help us, even when trying to get info on who is the highest management.

We figured that when my family would arrive in Mumbai, someone would be able to help. After traveling 20 hrs, exhausted and hungry, my wife approached many staff members at 1B Domestic Terminal and asked for assistance in finding the right person to talk to resolve our issues mentioned above and to find out information regarding phone services and other general info. But, unfortunately, no one showed any intentions or willingness to help. Thus, more stress, frustration and disappointment was added to an existing negative experience. Seeing that Mr Naresh Goyal , CEO of Jet Airways, has won many awards for excellent customer service and strongly believes in it and seeing that India has always treated guest with high reverence, it was never expected that the people of India and the staff of Jet Airways have become so ruthless. We have traveled many times. Whenever something like this has come up, the airlines have bent over backwards to provide the highest level of customer service and meet our every need and comfort. If they were not able to do so, they provided some financial compensation for our troubles.

Your assistance and compassion in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Amiya
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
I see your main issue with the airline is that they put you on a later flight and there was no lounge access provided to you. in all fairness to the airline, they did not have to. When rescheduling or cancellations happen, 9W or most airlines' policy is to offer to put you on another flight or offer you a refund. They did make that offer to you and you could have picked another flight to connect from Mumbai to your final destination to suit your comfort. 6E and AI had earlier flights. You could have taken a refund for the BOM-NAG segment and booked up on 6E/AI.

Even in the USA, where I am assuming this long flight originated from, any airline would not provide compensation to passengers or food vouchers unless there is a massive delay which happens on the spot and not something advised ahead of schedule.

I would reserve comments on the Air quality of india. I host enough visitors from the USA and the rest of the world in India, specifically Mumbai and so far people have had cases of tummy upsets but not air quality issues.

Additionally, you did not miss much. The airline lounge at Terminal 1B is only accessible to passengers who fly from one of the aerobridge gates at Terminal 1C (lounge is post security), and is nothing to write home about. There are no showers there for sure. For everyone else, including yours truly, who does travels a lot with 9W, when you get a bus gate, you just wait up at the coffee shops post security at your own expense. No amount of priority pass, amex cards or airline status helps there.

I hope this helps you put the situation in context.

Last edited by A2A; Nov 27, 2014 at 2:00 am Reason: added a clarification
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by A2A
I see your main issue with the airline is that they put you on a later flight and there was no lounge access provided to you. in all fairness to the airline, they did not have to. When rescheduling or cancellations happen, 9W or most airlines' policy is to offer to put you on another flight or offer you a refund. They did make that offer to you and you could have picked another flight to connect from Mumbai to your final destination to suit your comfort. 6E and AI had earlier flights. You could have taken a refund for the BOM-NAG segment and booked up on 6E/AI.
i agree completely....the offer made by jet was fair....take their later flight or get a full refund....

delays happen all the time & i have had to deal with airline delays in india as well in places like the uk, us & europe....unless the delay is substantial, no compensation is given....
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
As A2A stated above, there is no lounge in 1B they could put you in.. Additionally, if you were flying through 1C, you can access Carnations lounge for a small cash fee.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
India has regulations similar to the EU261/04 legislation that requires airlines cancelling flights to provide care and assistance. The DGCA is the enforcing body for this. Read the guidelines here:
http://www.dgca.nic.in/kyrdgca/KYR_portal.html

That said your family wasn't probably entitled to much support:

Cancellation
To What Extent you are Entitled for Compensation?

Airline is required to refund the ticket in case you are not willing to travel on its alternate or the subsequent flight or on another airline’s flight.
Your refund will be processed by the airline in accordance with CAR Section 3, Series M, Part II.
Airline is bound to provide you alternate travel opportunities at no additional cost, if you so desire.
If you have already reported at the airport to undertake journey on original flight and waiting for the alternate flight, airline is bound to provide you meals and refreshments.

You will not be entitled for any compensation in case you don’t accept alternate travel arrangements offered by the airline or when the cancellation occurs due to extraordinary circumstances beyond the control of the airline.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:28 pm

Recently my Jetairways CDG-BOM (operated by airfrance) got cancelled (due to the AF strike).
I and my wife knew about this a day earlier (got an alert on my phone from the flighttrack app) and requested late checkout from my Hotel (accor). Upon probing the Jet customer service, Got to know that we were put on later flight operated by Jet itself.

The flight was supposed to depart at 9AM but departed at 8PM. We left the hotel at 5pm and rest was easy.

I emailed the air france and Jet stating the issue and the fact that neither Jet nor AF provide any notice about the flight being cancelled and we being put on a later flight.

After couple of weeks, Airfrance responded and provided a compensation of 12000 Rupees for hotel & food.
Jet till date did not respond. (but here the fault is of Air France and not Jet)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.