Air India NYC - DEL Experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler Gold, Delta Gold, Alaska/VX Gold, SPG Gold for Life
Air India NYC - DEL Experience

Summary - Decent value, service not ideal westerners, older angle flat seats

Air India Flights 102/101 - NYC/DEL - Executive Class

Highs - Some nice touches, menus in leather book, silk pillow, comforter and blanket, great vegetarian choices, direct route was nice and we left/arrived on time, backend logistics seemed to work (no unexpected events, lost bags, late flights,

Lows - Angle flat electric seat with old 777 equipment, IFE is marginal, no flight map most of the time, limited but decent choices for movies. AI airport lounge in JFK, not many tables to work with plugs. Don’t expect much western food choices, but again vegetarian will be happy. Don’t remember seeing the showers or bathrooms. AI airport lounge in DEL is remodel and visually appealing. Bathrooms are very nice but selection of food remains mostly carbohydrate based with little fruit or protein. Check-in process is clunky - if you’re transferring from Star Alliance carrier (like UA) they have put you into the AI system which means waiting a the gate agent line and getting boarding pass and luggage moved over. Check-in process in DEL was poor - they have a section for Executive Class, but it’s understaffed by agents, but plenty of baggage handlers hovering over you. I waited about 15 minutes to check-in. You can’t check in too early either, they won’t check your back and give you a ticket > 4 hours ahead. Not a problem, except all the flights leave in the middle of the early morning.

Will I fly Air India again? - maybe, but will explore Virgin Atlantic’s Premium Economy which may provide better service at lower cost
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Please follow this review in the India-based Airlines forum

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mailbotx
older angle flat seats
flying jfk-del next month in business....the older seats is the only bit i'm not too happy about....but everything else about the flight is decent & it gets me home quicker than a one stop flight....
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:01 pm

The seat is lie flat and comfortable with good space for a taller flyer. Not sure where the angle-flat comment comes from?

It is quite likely that the front cabin will not be full (unlike e.g. UA) - so on check-in you can ask for a free seat next to you.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Originally Posted by mailbotx
Summary - Decent value, service not ideal westerners, older angle flat seats
REALLY?

Last time I flew on their 77W(2013), it was full lie-flat seating - 35 seats in a 2-3-2 layout. There was a small F-class section with 4 suites in a 1-2-1 layout.

On their 787, its just 18 seats in a 2-2-2 layout - again full iie flat!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
77W and 787 have the same lie flat C seat. (Zodiac/Contour Aura Lite)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WXdJqYhIIW..._Full_Flat.jpg

The 77L has this seat:

The leg rest there doesn't go full flat.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
77W and 787 have the same lie flat C seat. (Zodiac/Contour Aura Lite)

The leg rest there doesn't go full flat.
Don't think it ever flew the JFK-DEL route - JFK-BOM perhaps?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by erik123
Don't think it ever flew the JFK-DEL route - JFK-BOM perhaps?
Unlike the B788, both- B77L & B77W were / are deployed by AI on the US flights (EWR-BOM-AMD, JFK-DEL-BOM & ORD-DEL-HYD).

B788 is deployed on flights to Europe, Australia, Far-East

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.