Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

International Transfer in DEL -- Different Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

To cut to the chase, my employer is sending me on a trip and I'm not sure that my employer's travel agency knows what they are doing.

I am going to be travelling from Kabul, Afghanistan to Abu Dhabi, UAE, connecting through Delhi. The flights are KBL-DEL on Air India, and DEL-AUH on Etihad. I am a Canadian citizen and have no visa for India. My employer is insisting that I can transfer with no problems at DEL, but from my research it seems that may not be accurate, and visas on arrival are not a thing in India.

Does anyone have any detailed knowledge of how international transfers work at DEL? I've never been to the airport, or even to India.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:57 pm

I don't know what research you may have done. Some years ago DEL was not well set up for international transfer passengers. Now it is much like any major international airport.

Visas on arrival are a thing in India, but not for Canadians (and not needed in this case).

Emirates has a flight from Kabul to Dubai that would seem to be better suited to your needs, but I don't know what other considerations may apply here.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

I would agree that Dubai and a rental car to Abu Dhabi would be a logical choice, but my travel provider is a little bit odd -- if I'm going to Abu Dhabi, they want to book me on a flight to Abu Dhabi, and they are difficult to argue with.

I'm really more worried about luggage -- if Air India and Etihad do interline transfer, that would be great, and visas -- if I don't require one, that's also great.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: 9W, HH, Taj, Air India
See this thread for details
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...e-reports.html
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:28 pm

Why would you need a visa? When you say "no problems at DEL" are you referring to Immigration requirements or logistics?

I can't speak to the logistics, but TIMATIC says TWOV is possible.

If you're concerned, carry the official TIMATIC printout with you. Because you'll likely be subject to greater scrutiny when you check-in at KBL than when you transit DEL.

/ 25OCT14 / 2119 UTC

National Canada (CA) /Embarkation Afghanistan (AF)
Transit India (IN)
Destination United Arab Emirates (AE)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

India (IN)

Visa required, except for Holders of Person of Indian Origin
(PIO) Card, or:
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets
for a max. transit For details, click here time of 24 hours.
- Hotel facilities are available in Terminal 3 at Delhi (DEL),
provided holding boarding card for connecting flight.

Additional Information:
- Holders of visas that specifically state the city/airport of
entry must enter India at the specified city/airport.

India (IN)

Passengers arriving within 6 days after leaving or transiting
countries with risk of yellow fever transmission For details, click here
and not holding a yellow fever vaccination certificate are
subject to quarantine for 6 days. Quarantine facilities are
only available at Delhi (DEL), Chennai (MAA) and Mumbai (BOM).
At other airports passengers will be deported.

Exempt from Yellow Fever vaccination:
- Children under 9 months of age.
- Passengers transiting India by the same aircraft.
- Passengers transiting countries with risk of yellow fever
transmission provided not leaving the transit areas.

Last edited by gq_dq; Oct 26, 2014 at 8:06 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Slivo
I would agree that Dubai and a rental car to Abu Dhabi would be a logical choice, but my travel provider is a little bit odd -- if I'm going to Abu Dhabi, they want to book me on a flight to Abu Dhabi, and they are difficult to argue with.
emirates used to offer transfers (via bus if i remember correctly) from dubai - abu dhabi & it was included in the price of the ticket, so technically your ticket would be from kabul - abu dhabi....i'm not sure if they still do that but you can ask your travel provider to see if that is a possibility....
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:37 pm

they still do the bus (ek7001) to Abu Dhabi City (ZVJ) so I would ask for that. No reason they couldn't offer it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:57 am

Hi there,
I'm a first time poster so hope it's okay to add my own question here. I'll be flying from Kathmandu to London Heathrow via Delhi (T3) at the end of December. I made one booking but have flights with two separate companies - Air India and then Virgin. As I understand it, I won't be able to check luggage in all the way through, or collect both boarding passes at Kathmandu airport.
So - I am wondering if I need a transit visa? My transit time is 2.5 hours and, if necessary, I can have inly hand luggage (if this will make the process easier and faster.) However, if anyone has definitive information about how this works, I would be really grateful. I have read all I can but haven't found anyone with a complete answer about transit visa or personal experience of this. I have a British passport so normally we always need a visa to enter India but I won't leave the airport - only need to get a boarding pass for my second flight and maybe collect/re-check bag. Please help! A little worried about this!!!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:17 am

If your baggage is not going to be through checked - you will definitely need to cross immigration. In that case you would need a transit visa i think. To be sure - check with Air India / Virgin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.