Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways flight plunges 5000' before recovering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Whoa

The flight from Mumbai to Brussels carrying 280 passengers dropped from 34,000 to 29,000 feet while flying over Turkey and DGCA sources claimed the commander was asleep while the co-pilot was preoccupied on an iPad that contained flight information.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Scary
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:45 pm

Even more "whoa" is that as per this report, the pilots filed no incident reports or log the event and the DGCA became aware of it only due to an anonymous SMS!

Well done, 9W!

However, what I don't understand is how can there be a "sudden drop" of 5,000 ft. without either pilot realising it, even if both were sleeping? I would imagine a sudden drop would result in one hell of a jolt. Also, how many cocpit crew are there in that aircraft? Also, how can the flight data / cockpit voice recorders yield any clues if the investigation is initiated after several days, when the data must have been surely written over and erased?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: KA "The Elite"
From reading the TOI artcle it seems that Jet only has 2 pilots on that flight. Is that so?
Was the pilot resting in the crew rest area or in the cockpit? No 3rd pilot to take over?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:55 pm

A sudden drop of 5000 ft would result in passengers feeling it. Have had a sudden drop due to turbulence a few years back and a couple of passengers actually got injured.

More likely if you read between the lines, is that the Jet flight slowly lost altitude without the copilot realizing it. I am sure a sudden drop would raise alarms in the cockpit.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by arakhanna
A sudden drop of 5000 ft would result in passengers feeling it. Have had a sudden drop due to turbulence a few years back and a couple of passengers actually got injured.

More likely if you read between the lines, is that the Jet flight slowly lost altitude without the copilot realizing it. I am sure a sudden drop would raise alarms in the cockpit.
Good point ^
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
These lovely news articles these days "sudden drop"
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, AF Silver
Sensationalist news

Just doesn't add up. Why would an airplane on autopilot suddenly drop altitude. There is more to this story that what is reported. Given that it is Time of India that is reporting this story...I'm not surprised. They love sensationalism / drama.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
candy crush saga?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by wildtrail
Just doesn't add up. Why would an airplane on autopilot suddenly drop altitude. There is more to this story that what is reported. Given that it is Time of India that is reporting this story...I'm not surprised. They love sensationalism / drama.
+1.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Any idea of the day and flight number? I am sure that flight trackers will have the drop
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Originally Posted by d3vski
candy crush saga?
+1
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:06 am

This news was all over Chinese news channels as well here in China. Jet not doing their name a good favour. People are already scared of the rapists all over India. Anything wrong happens in India is world news in seconds.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
This news was all over Chinese news channels as well here in China. Jet not doing their name a good favour. People are already scared of the rapists all over India. Anything wrong happens in India is world news in seconds.
Lovely, I can't wait till apple HK does something stupid with the news.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by wildtrail
so true....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.