Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Long Layover on AI in Delhi - Best Option?

Long Layover on AI in Delhi - Best Option?

Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:35 am

Thanks for the tip.

We have a confirmed booking at the Eaton Smart, New Delhi Airport Transit Hotel which does look quite nice!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by treets
Thanks for the tip.

We have a confirmed booking at the Eaton Smart, New Delhi Airport Transit Hotel which does look quite nice!
Stayed at Eaton once.. Pricey but good !
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:07 am

Good to hear.

Fortunately - AI are picking up the tab for this (a pleasant surprise).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:18 am

Good to hear.

Fortunately - AI are picking up the tab for this (a pleasant surprise).
Woah! They Initiated this or You asked them to ? Let us know how this happened ! might help us for future reference.

I am travelling to BCN via CDG , have an 8 hours layover, Do you think 9W or Air France can arrange for a transit hotel for the time ??
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:01 am

Simple really.

I had a query with the flight so I phoned a very helpful AI rep in the UK. Told her the plan.

She noticed we had a long layover on the return journey and was I aware? I acknowledged that I was aware of this and I planned to stay in the transit hotel.

She then mentioned that the airline will pay for the hotel.

A couple of days later we received a hotel confirmation.

I have to say - the AI girl we spoke to was really excellent. Pleasant, helpful, proactive and very thorough.

I think it's part of the standard AI service. Not sure if there's a minimum time you need to be in transit though. We land in Delhi at about 19.00 and depart the following day at around midday.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:39 am

We land in Delhi at about 19.00 and depart the following day at around midday.
Thats the difference !
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:57 am

Is it worth asking them anyway?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:12 am

Is it worth asking them anyway?
Will do so tomorrow and update here..
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
Thats the difference !
You might get STPC (stopover paid by carrier) if you're on a business or first ticket but very rarely or never on cheap economy.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:37 am

Oh. We are flying business.....
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:43 pm

There isn't the margin in the price of an economy class ticket to provide accommodation on a stopover. The ticket already has to be priced below that of a direct flight to allow for the inconvenience and extra travel time.

Stopover packages work if the location is interesting enough to make the visit worthwhile even if it wouldn't be worth a special trip. The airlines will get a commission from the hotels and tour operators they use. A day or two in Dubai en-route to the far east or Australia makes travelling economy bearable, allows for easier time zone adjustment and gives an extra to the holiday

The margin on business class tickets is much larger and $150 for a hotel room still leaves a decent profit on a $4000 ticket. These passengers are less price sensitive than economy ones and need more incentive to take an indirect flight.

I would quite happily do 14 hours in business class but if I was in economy I would break it up into two legs with a night in a hotel in between.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:54 am

Nothing interesting about an overnight in Delhi airport! A visa for UK nationals is about 100 pp so not worth getting for a single night out of the airport.

The flight is to / from Aus so we splash out a little for the opportunity to sleep properly on the flight and make the most of our time in Aus. We've done this trip before in economy and spent 2 days in a zombie like state.... after a 13h flight from Singapore.

AI are by far the cheapest (J) at the moment so the very long return journey (40h including the overnight) is worth it for us....

Didn't expect AI to stump up for the hotel - I was about to book it!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
Will do so tomorrow and update here..
Aint happening.

I am in Economy and 10 hours layover.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:42 am

Ooops.

10h is a lot of time to kill.

Book a lounge? Think these are fairly cheap - AI lounge looks reasonable, and has showers / slumberettes(?) for Rs1000
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:52 am

Ooops.

10h is a lot of time to kill.

Book a lounge? Think these are fairly cheap - AI lounge looks reasonable, and has showers / slumberettes(?) for Rs1000
at CDG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.