Search

65 minute D-D connection at BLR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
65 minute D-D connection at BLR

Hey guys

Need to get to MAA from IXE early next month, reaching as early as possible.

Options are 1) 9W via BOM, or 2)SG via BLR that is a bit cheaper, and, gets me to MAA an hour earlier.

SG doesnt sell the itinerary online, but I can get that via an OTA by booking a multi-city journey. Qs:
1) 65mins SG-SG do-able? If so, will I be able to get both boarding passes at IXE. While I can travel carry-on only, would SG @ IXE check my bags through all the way, on separate tickets?
2) Given SG only flights, would they bother helping, in case things turn turtle?

I think that there is a change of planes at BLR anyway (the flight number carries on to HYD, 30 mins after arrival).

Thanks a bunch!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Star Gold
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Hey guys

Options are 1) 9W via BOM, or 2)SG via BLR that is a bit cheaper, and, gets me to MAA an hour earlier.

SG doesnt sell the itinerary online, but I can get that via an OTA by booking a multi-city journey. Qs:
1) 65mins SG-SG do-able? If so, will I be able to get both boarding passes at IXE. While I can travel carry-on only, would SG @ IXE check my bags through all the way, on separate tickets?
2) Given SG only flights, would they bother helping, in case things turn turtle?

I think that there is a change of planes at BLR anyway (the flight number carries on to HYD, 30 mins after arrival).

Thanks a bunch!
9W has a flight (2735) from MAA 05.40 to IXE 08.25 via BLR where plane change is not required
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ngblr
9W has a flight (2735) from MAA 05.40 to IXE 08.25 via BLR where plane change is not required
Thanks!
- but i'm looking for IXE-MAA..they do have a similar through flight for IXE-xBLR-MAA (2736), but that at 840PM
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Hey guys

Thanks a bunch!
Besides the SG combo, here are the other options:

1: 9W438: 0840 IXE-BOM 1010 + 9W481: 1125 BOM-MAA 1330
2: 9W2400: 0900 IXE-BLR 1005 + LB684: 1120 BLR-MAA 1240 (Jet + AirCosta)
3: 9W2736 on the previous night
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:24 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
If the fare wasn't too different, I'd do option one - 9W via BOM.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:09 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Hey guys

Thanks a bunch!
It's Sg-sg should not be a problem at 65 mins. Most likely you will get the boarding pass at ixe and trough checked in too. Have done something similar transiting delhi on go air.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
It's Sg-sg should not be a problem at 65 mins. Most likely you will get the boarding pass at ixe and trough checked in too. Have done something similar transiting delhi on go air.
i'm not too sure....the only time i tried to do this on sg i was told that i could not combine two separate tickets....
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the inputs, folks! A nice & helpful forum you got going here - should troll around more in these parts

The fare difference is about ~2K.

GuyfromBOM - thanks - had looked these up -
1) While an hour aint much, it does represent ~15% more time for me in Chennai than 9W via BOM gives me (ah - realized that I forgot to mention - I'm flying out that night, on a separate ticket). Do have a fallback in case things go really turtle.
2) Not knowing any better, I'd rather not risk with the 'newness' of Air Costa
3) Doesnt work - have a wedding to be at, the previous evening.

Read Keyser's post a bit too late - oh well.. going to risk SG-SG - have the option of travelling carry on only if push comes to shove (wife checking in around the same time, making her back way to SIN with 9W/SQ and a stop to catch up with friends in BLR - mine are in MAA! Just that a prized bottle of booze wouldnt reach an appreciative recepient in Chennai) . Should be able to report back in a month's time.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:20 am

Attempt the through check-in @ IXE, if possible get seats upfront and rush for the exits as soon as you land at BLR. (May I suggest you watch a couple of Rugby games the previous night)
Good Luck.. ^

From what I have heard, AirCosta seems to be a decent carrier. There's always a next-time..!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Follow-up query. If I check in onlinie and print my boarding pass, can I go straight through security to the gate, avoiding the check in desks at BLR?

SG's website seems to suggest that in their FAQs, but just wanted to be sure. Presume that I get deposited in the arrivals hall at BLR, and dont really have an option of 'transit'?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:48 am

I have done 2 transits at BLR: BOM-BLR-MYQ & CCJ-BLR-BOM, both times availing the through check-in option. IIRC, post the baggage hall, you reach the exit point. From there, you turn right and flash your boarding pass / eTicket to the CISF staff and enter the check-in area.

If you already have your boarding pass of the next sgment, you can take the escalator and proceed to the 1st level for security check, post which are the food court and boarding gates.

I am not too sure if the security would accept the boarding pass printed at home. There was some process of airline stamping / verification earlier - unsure of its current status. The only ones I have experimented with are the ones printed at the self check-in Kiosks found at the BOM-CSIA.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Jet is better structured and equipped to handle D-D connections. Also SG has been canceling a lot of flights - I had a friend who's LKO-DEL-MAA flight had one segment cancelled, but fortunately SG has sold the connection. They could only offer full refund... wouldn't bank on them for something a bit complicated like this as they have become very unreliable...
Old May 4, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Folks - just reporting back. I stuck with SG and got to MAA just fine and on time. The 9W option via BOM had gotten prohibitively expensive.

Carry on only, web checked in, but did not have access to a printer. The decent chaps manning the IXE check-in counters printed both boarding passes for me.

IXE-BLR departed ~20mins late and got to BLR about 15 mins after schedule. There is a 'transit' security desk that was rather efficient (and imho better than doing what BLR airport's website advises!)
This is before your reach the baggage claim area - You do not need to get to the 'outside area'.

Had more than enough time to grab a quick breakfast at BLR.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:55 pm

Good to know that SG worked just fine..! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.