Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI's 2013 loss exceeds govt's education budget [rumour / unverified claim]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Air India’s loss for 2013 exceeded the Indian government’s entire higher education budget

So claims this very interesting blog post. If the facts cited are correct, it is a very succinct analysis of the aviation scene in India today, although it omits the downgrading of DGCA. I found it to be a good read, notwithstanding the protests of a well known member of this forum and blogger.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by FedUp2
notwithstanding the protests of a well known member of this forum and blogger.
i wonder who that could be????
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
This is the source:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...PAaviation.pdf

Page 37

Scarce budgetary resources would surely be better diverted to supporting more important social objectives in health and education. Air India’s estimated loss for this year will for example exceed the government’s entire higher education budget.
Note that it is estimated losses. As far as I can tell, AI has not released its 2013 financial report yet.

http://www.airindia.com/AnnualReport.htm?14

Last edited by Mr. Bean; Feb 22, 2014 at 10:52 pm
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FedUp2
I found it to be a good read, notwithstanding the protests of a well known member of this forum and blogger.
I think A2A was generous to term this post "analysis" in his criticism. A list of airlines that are performing poorly in India (read: all of them) doesn't provide any insight into why they are doing poorly now and what may return thrm to profitability. High taxes, a weak economy, an unfavorable exchange rate, beaurocratic ineptness, political shenanigans, chronic mismanagement, etc. are all factors at play.

The aviation sector is merely a reflection of the overall economy and political system. Perhaps this statistic tells us more about the education budget than it does about airlines. Then again, thanks to corruption, it is doubtful that most of that money will reach education or airline operation, and the funding probably tells us more about which areas it is easier to skim from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.