Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India and the Star Alliance [Pre-confirmation discussion]

Air India and the Star Alliance [Pre-confirmation discussion]

Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by ashishp
Whoa! Really?

Last year, there was some talk of converting 12 due after 2015 to 787-9's adjusted against "compensation".
Not coming even more likely with the FAA downgrade since the Indian government is now mad a the US and it was a major black eye.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Originally Posted by grahampros
Not coming even more likely with the FAA downgrade since the Indian government is now mad a the US and it was a major black eye.
This pissing match between the 2 govts is a sound-and-light show on the sidelines of a national election! It wont last!

India and the US have too much at stake to let this continue to simmer.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ashishp
This pissing match between the 2 govts is a sound-and-light show on the sidelines of a national election! It wont last!

India and the US have too much at stake to let this continue to simmer.
So someone will finally use LOGIC ?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:38 am

Has there been any news on potential expansion plans of Air India? They had been planning on using new 787s for US and Europe routes, but I have not seen anything about this recently.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by intltravel90
Has there been any news on potential expansion plans of Air India? They had been planning on using new 787s for US and Europe routes, but I have not seen anything about this recently.
Due to the FAA downgrade, no new flights can be introduced to the US by any Indian carrier, and this includes code shares. So it is in the best interest of the Indian civil aviation authority to get the FAA issues resolved quickly. I see no new developments though, in trying to get it resolved.

Europe is the best bet for AI for new flights, may be to Munich, Zurich, Amsterdam or Rome or Milan or Manchester. Not all cities, but 1 or 2 cities among the list might work.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by hyho61
Due to the FAA downgrade, no new flights can be introduced to the US by any Indian carrier, and this includes code shares. So it is in the best interest of the Indian civil aviation authority to get the FAA issues resolved quickly. I see no new developments though, in trying to get it resolved.
The two governments are in an incredibly childish standoff that started with a private wage dispute between a junior Indian diplomat in NYC and her maid!

It affects US embassy personnel and families in India, AI is reviewing its Boeing order, US has downgraded Indian aviation. Of course, don't expect anybody to admit that any of this is mutually linked.

I expect this to be resolved only if there is a "summit" meeting, or after new governments are in place in both countries.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
AI State of Repairs or Disrepairs ?

I doubt if AI will be part of ANY Alliance this yer. Just saw a write up at Banglore Aviation with pics of a cannabalized 777 LR for parts presumably to keep others going . What business do you know that will do this to an operational piece of equipment that will deteriorate quickly ? Great place to pilfer more parts....
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by intltravel90
AI has had DEL-DME-DEL and DEL-FCO-MXP-DEL on their radar for a while. IIRC, they also floated tender(s) w.r.t. fuel, flight catering & staff stay for the Moscow route.

The FAA downgrade seems to have delayed further updates on these.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Due to the FAA downgrade, no new flights can be introduced to the US by any Indian carrier, and this includes code shares.
Considering the IN-US routes are 77L service and the current cost of fuel and horrid yield on those routes I doubt AI will expand in the US even if there were no FAA directive.

The 787 will service routes of 8-10h, previously operated by A310s in the glory days. So I would expect more asian/european destinations coming up, perhaps servicing an additional *A hub or two.

On the integration front, LH has now kicked out 9W as an option in the ticketing of the various fares to India and just uses the S2/9W flights as allowed feeders. Which is kind of good news as S2 flights were previously excluded. So the divergence on LH & co from 9W is well underway. The integration of AI is not forthcoming though, they totally cleaned up all joint fares late last summer and are not reinstating anything (yet)
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Considering the IN-US routes are 77L service and the current cost of fuel and horrid yield on those routes I doubt AI will expand in the US even if there were no FAA directive.

The 787 will service routes of 8-10h, previously operated by A310s in the glory days. So I would expect more asian/european destinations coming up, perhaps servicing an additional *A hub or two.
Also, AI is evaluating discontinuation of FirstClass from the 77W (& possibily 744) fleet. The 77L's are already on the way out and the latest flagship- the 788 offers only Business & Economy.

This should be a welcome move, that would improve revenue generation through optimum utilization of capacity which was earlier hogged by the Mantri's / Babu's of GoI.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
On the integration front, LH has now kicked out 9W as an option in the ticketing of the various fares to India and just uses the S2/9W flights as allowed feeders. Which is kind of good news as S2 flights were previously excluded. So the divergence on LH & co from 9W is well underway. The integration of AI is not forthcoming though, they totally cleaned up all joint fares late last summer and are not reinstating anything (yet)

Europe is the best bet for AI for new flights, may be to Munich, Zurich, Amsterdam or Rome or Milan or Manchester. Not all cities, but 1 or 2 cities among the list might work.
With AI already serving most of *A hubs in EU and Asia, once the *A membeship is effective, AI pax would have 1-stop access to almost all major NA points. A little while later, the non-stop US/Canada routes can be evaluated and be launched if the metrics seem favourable.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:31 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
With AI already serving most of *A hubs in EU and Asia, once the *A membeship is effective, AI pax would have 1-stop access to almost all major NA points. A little while later, the non-stop US/Canada routes can be evaluated and be launched if the metrics seem favourable.
FRA yes they do, but what about MUC, VIE, ZRH, LIS, WAW, CPH and IST. All of these are major *A member airline hubs in Europe. (And I haven't even included Aegean and Adria!) Which of these hubs sees AI metal?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
FRA yes they do, but what about MUC, VIE, ZRH, LIS, WAW, CPH and IST. All of these are major *A member airline hubs in Europe. (And I haven't even included Aegean and Adria!) Which of these hubs sees AI metal?
Pardon the coffee-depraved zombie, who typed it without proof-reading. Signs of FinancialYearEnd
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:44 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Pardon the coffee-depraved zombie, who typed it without proof-reading. Signs of FinancialYearEnd
Trust me, I've done much worse at times! The ides of March indeed.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
any news on this?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Ugh that brings back some bad memories.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.