Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Great report with so much detail. Just what I was looking for.

I have asked EK Limo to pick me up from Domestic (arriving on IT at 3:30 pm from JAI) and connecting on EK to DXB at 7:00 pm. Will use online check in for EK, and am on IT J and EK F.

Looking forward to the BOM experience
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Great report with so much detail. Just what I was looking for.

I have asked EK Limo to pick me up from Domestic (arriving on IT at 3:30 pm from JAI) and connecting on EK to DXB at 7:00 pm. Will use online check in for EK, and am on IT J and EK F.

Looking forward to the BOM experience
I have seen drivers waiting at the gate upon arrival at the Domestic terminal. So quite possibly you can ask EK to pick you up at the arrival gate and usher you through everything. No doubt this service will make your experience smooth as silk. First class check in is also never really busy so no worries if you have to be checked in at the airport. VIP treatment they do well in India.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Just how many "government officials" do you get waiting to meet you at airports?

And what do you really want to spend that much time in any airport terminal for, even Singapore Changi rather than Bombay? Get out into the city and have a couple of drinks and a late dinner at one of several hotels in and around the airport.

And consider that the security guard is like .. "yeah, let him through if he really wants to go through".

The reason they limit entry into the terminal to 4 hours before flight departure is that there's limited space and a LOT of flights departing from like 11 pm to 5 AM.

Here's another hint - nobody I know of does business meetings at the airport. Way too noisy and crowded, far too few private places to meet up and talk. And plenty of hotels nearby.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:53 am
azj

I think there is a bit of confusion here on the "turn right" and "turn left" instructions. Both schools of thought are indeed correct. It just happens to depend on where your baggage claim happens to be. Both times I've arrived at BOM, after baggage claim and customs, there were clear signs to turn RIGHT to exit and turn LEFT to domestic connections. From there you get funneled past the over priced car hires and into the throngs of people awaiting arriving passengers. Hasn't anyone ever noticed the weary eyed travelers walking towards you as you exit into the meeting and greeting area? Those are the people that turned LEFT for exit and didn't turn RIGHT for domestic connections.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:46 am

Henkybaby is just amazing

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/165260/
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:27 pm

Int. - Int. transit

Hi! I am new and just wanne say this forum looks like a great source for info.

Great guide. I would like to ask for info about international - international transit through Mumbai. I was refered here from another forum and would really appreciate some guidance.

I am going to transit in BOM early July from Qatar to AirAsia (anyone done a transit to AirAsia?). I am looking for a transit on a TWVO, without Visa. Since I am not going to have any check baggage and already hold my boardingpass from a web-checkin I wonder if it is possible to get through security check on the airside, directly into departures.

Would be grateful for any sort of hint.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Through check-in question

First of all, I must say, a very informative post. Will help anybody transferring at Mumbai for the first time.

I had one question though. I have a IT flight from BLR to Mumbai and connecting to a Delta flight to Atlanta. Both tickets are in same PNR. Wouldn't IT through check-in my baggage all the way to Atlanta? or do I need to collect my baggage at domestic terminal and carry them with me on the bus to International terminal?

Appreciate your help on my question
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:03 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by hserus

And what do you really want to spend that much time in any airport terminal for, even Singapore Changi rather than Bombay? Get out into the city and have a couple of drinks and a late dinner at one of several hotels in and around the airport.
+1 .. I would never want to go to any airport (incl SIN, DXB) for more time than needed.. even DF shopping can easily be done within 1 hr for me and I guess most seasoned folks..
Whenever i hv time, even on transit in MUC, FRA I just take the train to the city and go around even for 3-4 hrs..since its much better than whiling away time in the airports..unless we r in the First class lounges ( which I am never )...
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by nitu000
First of all, I must say, a very informative post. Will help anybody transferring at Mumbai for the first time.

I had one question though. I have a IT flight from BLR to Mumbai and connecting to a Delta flight to Atlanta. Both tickets are in same PNR. Wouldn't IT through check-in my baggage all the way to Atlanta? or do I need to collect my baggage at domestic terminal and carry them with me on the bus to International terminal?

Appreciate your help on my question
I just did the BLR-> BOM->EWR Transfer from Kingfisher to Contiental over the weekend. I requested my baggage to be through checked in.. At Mumbai, I picked it up from the carousel and handed it over to the Kingfisher transfer desk (I was free to go out of the airport with just my hand baggage).. Kingfisher transferred the baggage to Continental. At the Continental Check in counter, they asked for the Checked baggage receipt to verify the "numbers". I did not see the baggage until I reached Newark..
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by NewTrainTraveller
I just did the BLR-> BOM->EWR Transfer from Kingfisher to Contiental over the weekend. I requested my baggage to be through checked in.. At Mumbai, I picked it up from the carousel and handed it over to the Kingfisher transfer desk (I was free to go out of the airport with just my hand baggage).. Kingfisher transferred the baggage to Continental. At the Continental Check in counter, they asked for the Checked baggage receipt to verify the "numbers". I did not see the baggage until I reached Newark..
Thanks 'NewTrainTraveller'. How much time did you have in BOM for transfer? I have 3 hours. I read a couple of old posts on FT where some people point out that it is risky to leave it to IT/9W to transfer baggage from dom to int if the time is less and they prefer carrying it themselves.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by nitu000
Thanks 'NewTrainTraveller'. How much time did you have in BOM for transfer? I have 3 hours. I read a couple of old posts on FT where some people point out that it is risky to leave it to IT/9W to transfer baggage from dom to int if the time is less and they prefer carrying it themselves.
If all goes to plan and the pax traffic isn't too high, all you need is 1.5 hours to do a complete transfer - from deplaning off the incoming to boarding the outgoing. In any event, three hours should be more than sufficient. Depending on interlining arrangements, baggage transfer is usually painless.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
IT/9W interlining dom-intl is fine. If the time is too short they will tell you to take it with you.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:18 pm

Hello, i have read all the messages posted re mumbai airport transfer guide (dom to int'l) and have to agree that it is very infomative..thanks guys.

I will be travelling to mumbai from goa (by Jet) and transfer to singapore (kingfisher) soon, just wondering whether anyone can give a later account of the free shuttle bus service from domestic to int'l airport.

I have never been to the mumbai domestic airport before, and I do not want to exit the airport by mistake and miss the bus. I have only around 3 1/2 hours for transfer.

Any new input with pictures will be truly appreciated.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
There is a sign clearly marked "transit passengers" - you cant miss it.

If you do exit the airport - just avoid the touts (some even very official looking, with bellboy uniforms, or full sleeved white shirts wearing badges and clipboards), and walk out of the exit. Cross the road lane - and another lane is clearly marked taxis. There's a long line of white taxis marked "Easy Cab" - these are aircon sedans, with meters.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:41 am

Many thanks.

Originally Posted by hserus
There is a sign clearly marked "transit passengers" - you cant miss it.

If you do exit the airport - just avoid the touts (some even very official looking, with bellboy uniforms, or full sleeved white shirts wearing badges and clipboards), and walk out of the exit. Cross the road lane - and another lane is clearly marked taxis. There's a long line of white taxis marked "Easy Cab" - these are aircon sedans, with meters.
Many thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.