Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Tata Sons & SQ to launch India based airline [Vistara][merged]

Tata Sons & SQ to launch India based airline [Vistara][merged]

Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is there scope for another full service airline in India?
Lets see what their business model is. IMHO if they limit it to high yield routes and keep their flight numbers low I am sure they will fill their planes up. They are starting with a low number of planes which is what their investment shows so I am sure given a choice of Airlines I would pick a SQ backed one.

Anyway too early to tell.

But I agree with you I don't think there is scope for a Kingfisher sized full service airline in India.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
...given a choice of Airlines I would pick a SQ backed one.
+1.

Not because of SQ necessarily, but for me - as an alternative to Jet - now that they have reduced many benefits for elites...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: 9W silver, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat
Tata-SIA orders 20 A320s.. prefers A320 over B737..
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/28579582.cms
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bpbindaas
Tata-SIA orders 20 A320s.. prefers A320 over B737..
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/28579582.cms
i'm really looking forward to them starting....although i still have my reservations on how well another full service airline will do in india....
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
India does not need another full service airline now, it is clear that the consumer is not willing to pay for anything extra, as Kingfisher found it until it was too late.

Plus the domestic Indian traveller does not appear to care for frequent flyer points, otherwise you would have AI and 9W doing very well. In a way it is AI and 9W's fault, one can hardly earn any miles, sometimes none and many times only about 10 to 25%, so the typical business traveller does not care for the points/miles yet. Plus even if they do travel a lot and get miles/points, they dont get any upgrades to show for, even though most of the business cabins go half empty.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: 9W silver, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hyho61
India does not need another full service airline now, it is clear that the consumer is not willing to pay for anything extra, as Kingfisher found it until it was too late.

Plus the domestic Indian traveller does not appear to care for frequent flyer points, otherwise you would have AI and 9W doing very well. In a way it is AI and 9W's fault, one can hardly earn any miles, sometimes none and many times only about 10 to 25%, so the typical business traveller does not care for the points/miles yet. Plus even if they do travel a lot and get miles/points, they dont get any upgrades to show for, even though most of the business cabins go half empty.
I agree on your second point.. hopefully Tata SQ can change that. As per IT is concerned, they had their own operational inefficiencies. Whether or not people are willing to pay more, we will see
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
possibly....but they will make sure jet gets its act together....

kingfisher failed because the people in charge had no idea how to run an airline....

they definitely do care....there are other reasons why ai & jet aren't doing well....not just their frequent flyer programs....people in india are still getting used to the programs....

ai is a joke when it comes to earning miles....but jet is pretty decent....they give full miles on almost all sectors....

but both airlines need to improve their programs....if tata can come up with a good program then i can easily see jet & ai losing a lot of business....
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
ai is a joke when it comes to earning miles....but jet is pretty decent....they give full miles on almost all sectors....

but both airlines need to improve their programs....if tata can come up with a good program then i can easily see jet & ai losing a lot of business....
^^
couldnt agree more!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:29 am

so soon we can hope to avoid transiting in DXB for onward travel to the US.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Don't understand why Tata is going for two joint ventures - SQ and Air Asia.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:06 pm

I guess Air Asia is a LCC while the JV with SQ is for Full service.

Last edited by mrahul; Jan 23, 2014 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrahul
the JV with SA is for Full service.
the jv is with sq, not sa....
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mrahul
so soon we can hope to avoid transiting in DXB for onward travel to the US.
how is that exactly? and by soon, you mean min 5 years per indian law
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejoe666
i believe he is referring to 9w....if that is the case then it would be auh, not dxb....
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by joejoe666
The law will be scrapped! http://www.business-standard.com/art...1500037_1.html

Good - a major change.

I also do not understand how this will prevent transiting in DXB, but luckily, this law is going away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.