Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet airways one way upgrade cost LHR-BOM from Y

Jet airways one way upgrade cost LHR-BOM from Y

Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: MHC/5280AGL ; list too long to be boastful ;-)
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
^

By the way, how did the upsell price compare with EK and BA?
EK - £300 to £450 (LHR/LGW to Dubai )
BA - £400 to £650 (LHR to JFK/EWR/ORD)

So looking at JET upsell of £699 for a 9 hr flight is just about OK.
However, the return upsell BOM-LHR for JET is a massive steal for 29000 INR (roughly £300 on current exchange rates).

However, I did not quite like the JET premier cabin design. I dont like using a sleep mask, the seats control switch lighting was too bright and huge and fell right on my eyes. Finally I had to cover it with a paper to get some sleep.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyby747
You may have been unlucky on that day becuase of the load factor they were on J and F.
Premier load was less then 50% that day.

However, the return upsell BOM-LHR for JET is a massive steal for 29000 INR (roughly £300 on current exchange rates).
That is a steal. Can I ask who did you question about the up sell? Check-in or ticketing? I asked at check-in and the Airport manager who both said they stopped this a while back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying its not possible but I have been through LHR twice in the last 6 months and both times I was told its no longer offered.

Jet return to India is around £2,000 in Premiere. If you take away the Economy fare from that you are looking at roughly £1,500 r/t for the up sell to premiere which is double what you paid for a one way upgrade.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Premier load was less then 50% that day.

That is a steal. Can I ask who did you question about the up sell? Check-in or ticketing? I asked at check-in and the Airport manager who both said they stopped this a while back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying its not possible but I have been through LHR twice in the last 6 months and both times I was told its no longer offered.

Jet return to India is around £2,000 in Premiere. If you take away the Economy fare from that you are looking at roughly £1,500 r/t for the up sell to premiere which is double what you paid for a one way upgrade.

Since you were looking for J to F upsell, it is the load on F that matters, not on premier cabins.

You are right, the average cost of LHR-BOM return in J is aroung £2K.
However, the original Y ticket that I was holding was not booked by me, and also a restricted and discounted fare. So the only option I had is of getting an upgrade at airport counter.

I know £699 one way upgrade is not a good deal. but considering the total came under a grand I think it is still worth. Given that I am not even a Jet privilage member and now that I have flown once, I would not want to become one becuase of the way they have designed their premier cabin switches and lights!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you were looking for J to F upsell, it is the load on F that matters, not on premier cabins.
I was in business but travelling with a colleague who was in Economy. I tried to upgrade to First which in the past I had been quoted £600 for and he tried for business.

Both of us were told that they stopped this a while back by the airport manager.
Hope you get it and understand this time.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Hope you get it and understand this time.
Onlysuites,
Now that you and your friend understands the difference between upgrade and upsell, I hope my post would help you next time you fly...Thats all.

Also note, upsell is not offered on all flights there are lots of operational factors. The 'load' for the flight I believe is the most important one. The reason why I say this because I know how airlines try and recover their huge ops/fixed costs.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Onlysuites,
Now that you and your friend understands the difference between upgrade and upsell, I hope my post would help you next time you fly...Thats all.
Don't worry we knew that from the start. We weren't arguing the differences rather the fact that we were surprised that you had been offered this when others haven't.

Regardless its good to know as I am flying sometime next month and that 30k sounds too good for a one way upgrade from Y to J. Although not sure if I will risk it but will surely try for J to F.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Ok, onlysuites, for your info - no airline will ever 'stop' selling upgrades on the day of flight.
not true....jet does this all the time....i have lost count of the number of times jet has told me at check-in that they are not selling upgrades that day....
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Keyser
not true....jet does this all the time....i have lost count of the number of times jet has told me at check-in that they are not selling upgrades that day....
+1 - many, many times as well.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I wrote a paper on a similar topic a few months ago. In revenue management strategy, one variable which is considered is the "exclusivity value." The general idea is that empty seats make full seats more valuable. Therefore, most airlines set targets not just for seats filled, but seats left empty as well. Availability of upgrades (whether paid or by miles) is dependent on whether the load target is met, not whether seats are open.

So, for a hypothetical, if 9W was targeting a 50% load in F, and 60% of the seats are sold, they probably wouldn't be willing to sell an upgrade, but they might be willing to sell a full fare ticket. Over the past few years, it has seemed like 9W sets ridiculously low targets based on upgrade and award availability - however, only the people working at the revenue management department can say for sure what they are thinking (or if they are thinking at all).

Other airlines follow different strategies - UA, for example, targets 100% occupancy in all cabins as their revenue management strategy targets lower yields.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Keyser & SuperFlyBoy,

Check-in cannot do an upsell, it is the ticketing desk that is capable of doing, provided there is availability.

Upgrade is something check-in staffs are able to but most airlines account revenue from ticketing and upgrades differently.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I wrote a paper on a similar topic a few months ago. In revenue management strategy, one variable which is considered is the "exclusivity value." The general idea is that empty seats make full seats more valuable. Therefore, most airlines set targets not just for seats filled, but seats left empty as well. Availability of upgrades (whether paid or by miles) is dependent on whether the load target is met, not whether seats are open.

So, for a hypothetical, if 9W was targeting a 50% load in F, and 60% of the seats are sold, they probably wouldn't be willing to sell an upgrade, but they might be willing to sell a full fare ticket. Over the past few years, it has seemed like 9W sets ridiculously low targets based on upgrade and award availability - however, only the people working at the revenue management department can say for sure what they are thinking (or if they are thinking at all).

Other airlines follow different strategies - UA, for example, targets 100% occupancy in all cabins as their revenue management strategy targets lower yields.
Agree, most airlines realise that demand for 'upgrades' and flying in premier class is now a common man's wishfull thinking behind joining loyalty and frequent flyer programs. In other words, any TD-n-H who flies with a FF program on any airline would be looking to upgrade as long as he has miles. I can certainly say that most airline companies want to off-segment such customers. I know that BA checkin staffs are specifically trained to discourage and turn-down BA-Blue customers asking for upgrades at the counter.
Though I do not know JET's strategy, it is possible that Keyser and SuperFlyboy were turned down becuase of that.

Also, airlines apply their own segmentation strategies for offering upgrades and upsell. (Though I have no idea about Jet's, and why I was offered an upsell on my ticket ).
For e.g, I realised recently that booking made on a corporate amex card was channel to open incentives and upgrades on BA even flying on a 1 hr flight from London to Manchester on Y.

Last edited by flyby747; Sep 14, 2013 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Keyser & SuperFlyBoy,

Check-in cannot do an upsell, it is the ticketing desk that is capable of doing, provided there is availability.

Upgrade is something check-in staffs are able to but most airlines account revenue from ticketing and upgrades differently.
my bad, i guess i should have been more clear....i have been told there are no upsells at the ticketing desk at the airport, not the check-in staff....
Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree, most airlines realise that demand for 'upgrades' and flying in premier class is now a common man's wishfull thinking behind joining loyalty and frequent flyer programs. In other words, any TD-n-H who flies with a FF program on any airline would be looking to upgrade as long as he has miles. I can certainly say that most airline companies want to off-segment such customers. I know that BA checkin staffs are specifically trained to discourage and turn-down BA-Blue customers asking for upgrades at the counter.
Though I do not know JET's strategy, it is possible that Keyser and SuperFlyboy were turned down becuase of that.
i don't think anyone has an idea what jet's strategy is....i've been top tier with jet for over 8 years now, flying 100-120 flights a year....my wife on the other hand has been either blue plus or silver for the same time period, flying 10-15 flights a year....jet treats us both the same....

i'm mostly traveling in business but the times i have traveled in economy i've asked for upsell/upgrades everytime....90% of the time i have been turned down even though there have been empty seats in business....
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my bad, i guess i should have been more clear....i have been told there are no upsells at the ticketing desk at the airport, not the check-in staff....
Same here.

My friend is flying through LHR this week. I have asked him to check on the upgrade. Lets see how he gets along.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I never asked, as I usually fly in J or F, and sometimes hold seats in all cabins at the same time on this sector. (Y, C, F - confirmed in advance as well! )

i don't think anyone has an idea what jet's strategy is....i've been top tier with jet for over 8 years now, flying 100-120 flights a year....my wife on the other hand has been either blue plus or silver for the same time period, flying 10-15 flights a year....jet treats us both the same....

i'm mostly traveling in business but the times i have traveled in economy i've asked for upsell/upgrades everytime....90% of the time i have been turned down even though there have been empty seats in business....
+1.

Regardless its good to know as I am flying sometime next month and that 30k sounds too good for a one way upgrade from Y to J. Although not sure if I will risk it but will surely try for J to F.
30k miles or INR?

Btw, what's the mileage requirement for an upgrade from J to F these days on India-LHR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.