Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India announces Australia non-stop

Air India announces Australia non-stop

Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyinsikh
If we ignore the student market, I think there are about 250,000 people of Indian origin majority residing in SYD & MEL., then the other satellite cities of ADL, PER, BNE.... Will be interesting to check the stats from the 2011 CENSUS and see the trend in the population,

Maybe they can also pull some of the trans-tasman Indian population to connect onto the MEL route??

Although the current connections are plentiful, with SQ,MH,TG,CX,QF/9W link providing excellent daily connections to DEL with decent connection times varying around 2hours transit time in SIN,BKK,HKG..
Here's an excerpt from my detailed post on this issue in another thread. Link to the post - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...l#post16102462

I doubt QF and SQ would be worried about the impact that AI will have on the market with a single daily MEL-DEL flight. The flight is fantastic if you are living in Victora, and your ultimate destination is DEL, or surrounds. Departing from any other city (viz. SYD/CBR/BNE) would require transiting at MEL and arriving into any other major city outside the DEL catchment area requires a transit at DEL (and sizable backtracking).

If a change of planes is required, why not do it in SIN, BKK, HKG, KUL and fly directly to your destination city; than changing planes in DEL.
Just as a quick aside - if V-Australia starts services on its own metal to India, rest assured they'll be timed to provide a convenient transit/connection onwards to LHR on Virgin Atlantic.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SQ421
To be fair, I have not flown in and out of DEL international since after the renovation, but BOM is technically my "home" port, and even with the new facilities air side, I wouldn't want to contemplate a transit flight via BOM.
DEL is my home town and primary hub and comparing it to HKG or DBX, if not better it is competing them pretty well. I agree with you on BOM, i wouldn't like a transit there either.^
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: QFF
So is this happening?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by somebol
So is this happening?
I guess not. The airline is probably worried about its mentally unstable pilots defecting to Australia, as they haven;t been paid in months.

Every time I read the title of this thread, it makes me wonder, what's "fully approved"? Is there such a thing as half approved? Even if it's 99% approved, it's unapproved. Either It's been approved or not.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF,UA,VA
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I guess not. The airline is probably worried about its mentally unstable pilots defecting to Australia, as they haven;t been paid in months.
+1

haha, even I have stopped following this now this certainly has left a sour taste in some of the aussie aviation forums, frequent flyer and sydneyairport thread.... not a sign on their (AI) website of any media release, I think AI is just caught up in a bureaucratic mess..

They tend to announce things but hardly follow up on them, and also block 9W of KF from entering this route.

I'll believe it when I see it now. till then fly MH,SQ,TG,CX to DEL.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:10 pm
Suspended

+1

haha, even I have stopped following this now this certainly has left a sour taste in some of the aussie aviation forums, frequent flyer and sydneyairport thread.... not a sign on their (AI) website of any media release, I think AI is just caught up in a bureaucratic mess..

They tend to announce things but hardly follow up on them, and also block 9W of KF from entering this route.

I'll believe it when I see it now. till then fly MH,SQ,TG,CX to DEL.
As I remember a certain airline is known for that too. Remember the one that was going to fly to SFO, from BLR, non-stop.
Also announced were MAA-SFO, BLR-JFK/EWR, DEL-JFK and BOM-JFK.

Unless I missed something, I don't think any of these routes is being flown by the said airline.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jun 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:54 am

AI to use B787 to MEL ?? Possibly OCT 2011

http://www.travelweekly.com.au/news/...elbourne-plans

New Delhi, July 13: Air India plans to fly the Boeing 787 Dreamliner on the Delhi-Melbourne route from October.

Besides Australia, the ailing national carrier is betting big on direct Dreamliner flights to North America from the end of October.

“Direct flights to Australia are the top priority for us. The route will be profitable for Air India and is a key ingredient of the turnaround plan,” said an Air India official.

Plans are in place for daily flights from Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai to Melbourne. The 259-seater, wide-body Dreamliner will be used for medium-and long-haul flights.

Air India has ordered around 27 aircraft for $4 billion, while Jet Airways ordered for around 10 planes
AI could really capitalise on this as if this is true AI will be the first airline to operate B787 into Australia & MEL, similar to the hype generated by SQ in 2008 with the first commercial flight of the A380 between SIN-SYD in the world.....

Last edited by flyinsikh; Jul 16, 2011 at 6:59 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
http://www.travelweekly.com.au/news/...elbourne-plans

AI could really capitalise on this as if this is true AI will be the first airline to operate B787 into Australia & MEL, similar to the hype generated by SQ in 2008 with the first commercial flight of the A380 between SIN-SYD in the world.....
I beg to differ. The hype about the A380 was essentially because it was a whole new paradigm in civ-aviation - A truly "double decker" aircraft. While B787 is "different" due to its composite structure and what have you, it isn't that much of a standout to the average punter as the A380 is.

B787 is essentially a B767 replacement. Sure FTers and a lot moer ANetters will be eager to be on that first commercial flight (then again, it will only be the first commercial flight into Australia - not the first commercial flight in the world - as was the case with A380); but I don't see it as being that much of a water shed event. Also bear in mind, SQ launched their new business and Suites classes on the inaugural A380; generating more hype.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:42 am

I beg to differ. The hype about the A380 was essentially because it was a whole new paradigm in civ-aviation - A truly "double decker" aircraft. While B787 is "different" due to its composite structure and what have you, it isn't that much of a standout to the average punter as the A380 is.

B787 is essentially a B767 replacement. Sure FTers and a lot moer ANetters will be eager to be on that first commercial flight (then again, it will only be the first commercial flight into Australia - not the first commercial flight in the world - as was the case with A380); but I don't see it as being that much of a water shed event. Also bear in mind, SQ launched their new business and Suites classes on the inaugural A380; generating more hype.
The 787 sure is a 767 replacement but the 787 interiors are far more advanced and comfortable than any commercial aircraft . If any airline can advertise its latest interiors like the huge windows, low cabin noise and lower cabin altitude etc. i'm sure they can generate a lot of hype.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:58 am

Fair Enough, but still it's a new ERA in aviation due to it being composite material structure, and a new aircraft type to see in Australia, before QF get's theirs. But this is based on if AI do get their acts together and start the route at all, the article in the Sydney Morning Herald mentioned they may not even introduce B787 on DEL-MEL route, rather use the B77W's that will be freed up on Intra Asia routes by the use of B787s, I am thinking DEL-HKG-NRT. Oh well lets wait till October and see if AI can pull it off..
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Sorry to warm up the DEL-MEL topic again, but CAPA has a big article about how the India-SYD market is sooo big: http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-in-2012-88286
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
BOM-SYD is around 6500 nautical miles if I'm not mistaken.. surely a 77w can be used there by either AI or 9W..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by galaticos
BOM-SYD is around 6500 nautical miles if I'm not mistaken.. surely a 77w can be used there by either AI or 9W..
Reaching Australia's not the problem - it's been done in the past.

Getting enough people to fly the route at a sustainable fare is. That's not going to happen for a long time, certainly not for these two airlines. One can't make money anywhere (unless we consider alms-taking) and the other one failed in New York.

Last edited by jasepl; Nov 19, 2012 at 12:15 am
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
hey hey hey.. i always believed govt influx as treated as revenue on AI balance sheet ... they never have to pay it back anyway...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
As per the most recent tenders, the route has been pushed back to S13 sked. The reverse triangle idea is back.

In addition, AI is now looking at a ~1300 departure from DEL, which will connect better to the European bank, and should be better timed for business travelers as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.