Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India announces Australia non-stop

Air India announces Australia non-stop

Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
I don't think many passengers think of Irrop most of the times, and don't worry I am sure Delhi has airside transit facilities now for International - International transfers. I know the bags can be through checked if the flight is within 4 hours
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its too soon to tell whether this route will work or not....i'm going to reserve judgment for the first 6 months of this route....
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: QF,UA,VA
Del-mel 28/06/11

Just read the Australian Aviation Forum on Airliners.net, and came across this media report by flightglobal, AI will launch DEL-MEL on 28/6/11 and are also evaluating possibly BOM or DEL?-SYD, let's see this time if they make it down under..

Air India has set 28 June as the new start date of a daily Delhi-Melbourne service, which will be the only direct flight between the two countries, after a much on-and-off again experience with the route owning to a wavering Indian government.

The carrier tells Flightglobal's Air Transport Intelligence that it is now evaluating a service to Sydney. "Air India is planning to add more international destinations to its operations. In Australia, the other destination being looked at is Sydney," a company spokesman says.

The carrier had planned to start the Melbourne route last October but then canceled it. This February it received traffic rights.

Although the carrier has not specified its exact schedule or what equipment it will be using, it is understood Air India will be operating the 777-300ER to Melbourne airport, who says it is the right Australian city for Air India to serve.

"Over the last three years, there has been an average annual growth rate of 14% in visitors from India to Victoria, and Air India, by choosing Melbourne as their base, have seized this market opportunity," Melbourne airport chief executive Chris Woodruff says.

"Over the last decade, the Melbourne Indian community is also the fastest growing Indian community in Australia. This means significant travel by family and friends, demonstrated by 25 percent growth in 2010 from this segment of the Melbourne-India market."

Last month Air India petitioned is government to block other Indian carriers, such as Jet Airways and Kingfihser, to serve Melbourne so that the country's flag carrier could "settle down on the route", as one paper described. It is not known if India's aviation ministry approved the request.

Qantas operates a one-stop service to Mumbai via Singapore. It previously operated a direct flight to Mumbai but canceled it in 2008. Virgin Blue has said it intends to forge links with India as part of its forthcoming Asian network comprising direct flights and partnerships.
link to article: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/wi...y-finally.html

Last edited by flyinsikh; Apr 24, 2011 at 4:08 am
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
duplicate post

Last edited by LonLH; Apr 24, 2011 at 11:54 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by e-aviation
I don't think many passengers think of Irrop most of the times, and don't worry I am sure Delhi has airside transit facilities now for International - International transfers. I know the bags can be through checked if the flight is within 4 hours
I doubt misconnect will be a major deciding factor for the price sensitve end of the market- I see plenty of transit pax in SVO flying North America-India with SU. Was talking to one in the lounge who was stranded as his inbound was late and he did not have a Russian visa to get out- said he paid something like USD 2500 for his flight in business and now is stuck as SU had booked him on next day's flight with TK and he is stuck in the terminal.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
God, if there's a worse place to be stuck in than CDG, SVO would be it. Ugh ..
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by hserus
God, if there's a worse place to be stuck in than CDG, SVO would be it. Ugh ..
Indeed- now most of the flights have moved to DME, if one is are stuck with very few options except SkyTeam...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:33 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Amazed to hear AI is already talking about BOM/DEL - SYD. why dont they test the waters with DEL-MEL and see how to go from there. I give them less than a year on this route. As someone rightly pointed out earlier in this thread - student market is not the one you would like to build your route on.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sleeplessinNL
I give them less than a year on this route. As someone rightly pointed out earlier in this thread - student market is not the one you would like to build your route on.
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the student market in the coming years as the Australian Dollar strengthens (it has gone up from 33INR to 47INR in the last 6 years that I've been here); and the Australian Government tightens its migration program which makes studying in Australia as a less certain path to Permanent Residency.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by SQ421
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the student market in the coming years as the Australian Dollar strengthens (it has gone up from 33INR to 47INR in the last 6 years that I've been here); and the Australian Government tightens its migration program which makes studying in Australia as a less certain path to Permanent Residency.
If we ignore the student market, I think there are about 250,000 people of Indian origin majority residing in SYD & MEL., then the other satellite cities of ADL, PER, BNE.... Will be interesting to check the stats from the 2011 CENSUS and see the trend in the population, but if Australia is thinking of India being it's 2nd largest trade partner after China, there surely is a need for a direct link ? I am also wondering, if AI sought an injunction against 9W & KF blocking them rights to MEL while AI settles in, there could be some demand there, or is it HERD mentality with the likes of 9W & KF to jump on routes where AI enters? perhaps if these routes don't work AI could think of going via SIN with DEL-SIN AI480/481 flight extending to MEL/SYD ??

Maybe they can also pull some of the trans-tasman Indian population to connect onto the MEL route??

Although the current connections are plentiful, with SQ,MH,TG,CX,QF/9W link providing excellent daily connections to DEL with decent connection times varying around 2hours transit time in SIN,BKK,HKG..

I personally think if AI times it connections well it could captilise on the Kangaroo route, to FRA,CDG **provided the fares are competitive** as the AUS-Europe bound traffic is also made up of a high number of backpackers/students who currently take the likes of Royal Brunei, CA to Europe or Air Asia

Has there been any failed routes for AI in which it has pulled out? like the case with 9W and it's SFO-PVG flights ??

Lets also not forget CARGO ?, bearing in mind if AI also keeps it fares attractive to DEL, with the possibility of Virgin Australia feeding in domestic connections to AI will obviously fill up the seats? maybe the demand for cargo will be sufficient to justify the route's existence? As Virgin Australia has hinted it want's to tie up with the Indian market, it either plans to enter India using it's own metal or may tie up with other airlines offering links to India.

Just on a side note, previously I have read since the QF/9W codeshare, 9W would never enter Australia but if the AI article report is correct as AI has sought the injunction on 9W/KF to enter MEL what's that gota say about the relationship of 9W/QF??

Last edited by flyinsikh; Apr 26, 2011 at 8:09 am
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by flyinsikh
Has there been any failed routes for AI in which it has pulled out?
It's much easier to list the routes that DIDN'T fail. Assume AI has tried to fly everywhere else at some point and failed (yes, including Melbourne which was operated from June 1980 to April 1981).
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
It's much easier to list the routes that DIDN'T fail. Assume AI has tried to fly everywhere else at some point and failed (yes, including Melbourne which was operated from June 1980 to April 1981).
Was that the route via SIN & PER ??

but let's bear in mind during that period the Indian population in Australia was very moderate as compared to today... it has only increased in the early 1990's-2000...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by flyinsikh
Was that the route via SIN & PER ??
BOM-PER-SYD-MEL. No local traffic rights.

Perth was a crew base and crew based there operated PER-SYD-MEL-PER.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles
I've flown quite often between ADL and SIN on SQ and always there has been a large number of passengers connecting in SIN to India and again a large number of indian nationals on inbound SIN/ADL flights. ADL also has quite a large indian student population.

Just wondering if AI would consider operating either the MEL or proposed SYD services via ADL like CX does (i.e. while CX flies HKG/ADL/MEL/HKG could AI for example operate DEL/ADL/MEL/DEL). ADL also has connections to AKL on NZ.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
but when you combine it with the 3x greater call center resources they utilise as well, they become a market segment you don't really want to build your route on.
I am sure AI OUTSOURCE... lol^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.