Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Understanding the India-based airlines: where do I begin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding the India-based airlines: where do I begin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:08 pm
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by iahphx
As far as reliability goes, are cancellations are problem?

For example, I'm looking at an itinerary where I'd fly Varanasi to Delhi in the evening on Spicejet, and then connect to my int'l flight home the next morning. Being even a few hours late wouldn't be a problem for me, but Spicejet simply cancelling the flight -- and stranding me -- would, I would think, be a huge problem (not sure how KLM would react if I missed my flight home). So what's the risk? Small, or material?
Well flights go tech all the time all over the world but leaving that aside if SpiceJet cancels they will offer you a refund or offer to rebook you on an alternate "SpiceJet" flight.

What air India does in case of tech or other reason for cancellation they will offer you a refund or offer to rebook you on a different flight of a different airline. (Eg jet airways) In my experience air India will endeavor to get you to your destination no matter what though you may be a few hours late.

Not sure what jet airways does.

Couple of years back my cousin did a lot of traveling on go air and they would randomly cancel flights due to less load and offer rebooking on later flights. Don't think those many cancellations happen now though for that reason.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm trying to get a handle on the risk of flight cancellation. For exmaple, US airlines tend to fly about 99% of their flights. Would an airline like Spicejet be at about that level, or less?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:21 pm
Used to be shahadil

http://dgca.nic.in/reports/seat-ind.htm

This is the latest statistics for all airlines. I think this answered your question perfectly.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
When you say that "only 9W and AI fly out of the same airport as international airlines," I assume you mean out of the same "terminal," right? So I'd need additional time to switch terminals if I wanted to make a connection. How much time is a good idea (not that I think I'll do this however)? There is only one "airport" in Delhi, right?
Yeah, it's the same airport, but different terminals. They are about 10 kilometers away IIRC, so 20-30 minutes without traffic in a taxi. With bags, etc., it's a massive headache, although not nearly as bad as intl-domestic connections at BOM.

Airlines of India also operate most flights 98%+, but that statistic only accounts for cancellations within 24 hours of departure. Spicejet in particular has not been able to maintain schedule integrity recently, with many schedule changes being made without warning 2-3 weeks before departure. Another deceptive thing about the statistics is flights can be delayed by many hours, but they will still show as operated.

I would not recommend being on the last flight of the day when connecting to an international flight.

The LCCs will rebook you onto the next flight on their airline (probably too late) or offer a refund, while the FSCs (AI I am familiar with, but I'd imagine 9W is similar) also would do things like reroute you on another airline or put you up in a hotel in the case of irregular operations.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:33 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Thanks. I'm trying to get a handle on the risk of flight cancellation. For exmaple, US airlines tend to fly about 99% of their flights. Would an airline like Spicejet be at about that level, or less?
Most airlines in India have very good records in these matter.. here are the things you need to consider:

1. If you are flying a LCC (Spice OR Indigo) and in the off chance they do cancel their flight, they might be more inclined to offer you a refund than book on another flight with the same airline, or another airline..

2. If you book with a FSC (AI or Jet, or Jet Konnect also)- they would make some amount of effort to book you on another flight rather than give you a refund.. the reason I include Jet Konnect here, even though they are an LCC, is because, they belong to the Jet Group, so if you tell them that you have an international connection, they will be more accommodating..

3. And lastly- but the most important point - Flights do get cancelled in India, just like any where else. Even though they do mostly have good record, but flights do get cancelled.. you bigger worry should not be that whether you would rebooked or a refund.. you actual worry should be, if you are flying an off sector like Varanasi -Del, and your flight gets cancelled, and there is no flight to Del after your flight, even if the airlines rebooks you, that might make you miss ur international connection.. so you might want to consider returning to Delhi a day in advance, to factor in such a scenario.. or don't book the last flight out of any city, to allow yourself the option of switching flights at the last minute..

Last edited by Flyfromscratch; Jan 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm Reason: apologies for all the typos...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Looks expensive to me. And hard to imagine wanting more than a couple of flights in 10 days.
I think it is $600 if you are flying to india or AI/LH and $800 if you are flying to india on some other airline: this entitles you to 7 flights.

With a iten on a circuit type trip, individual tickets might be more expensive. DEL-HJR alone is $130 to $150!

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
Del-Jai-jdh-udr-Bom doesn't exist. They all are separate one stop to Bombay now.
The JAI-JDH-UDR-IXU flight used to be a popular "circuit" flight in the IC days so I used it as an example. DEL-VNS-HJR-DEL is operational as AI405/406?

Last edited by ashishp; Jan 10, 2013 at 4:37 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:45 pm
Used to be shahadil

Originally Posted by ashishp
Looks expensive to me. And hard to imagine wanting more than a couple of flights in 10 days.
I think it is $600 if you are flying to india or AI/LH and $800 if you are flying to india on some other airline: this entitles you to 7 flights.

With a iten on a circuit type trip, individual tickets might be more expensive. DEL-HJR alone is $130 to $150!

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
Del-Jai-jdh-udr-Bom doesn't exist. They all are separate one stop to Bombay now.
The JAI-JDH-UDR-IXU flight used to be a popular "circuit" flight in the IC days so I used it as an example. DEL-VNS-HJR-DEL is operational as AI405/406?
Not sure of the flight Number but yes this one exists and also extends to Agra, I think thrice a week.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:33 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
OP if you book spicejet this weekend, you are going to get tickets for Rs. 2000 ($40).
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A2A
OP if you book spicejet this weekend, you are going to get tickets for Rs. 2000 ($40).
Is it a systemwide fare sale this weekend? That's a pretty good price, but most of the short hauls I've been looking at (2 months in advance) see to be in the $55 to $60 range. Since I'm a family of 5, though, it would be enough of a savings to accelerate my trip planning.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:22 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Is it a systemwide fare sale this weekend? That's a pretty good price, but most of the short hauls I've been looking at (2 months in advance) see to be in the $55 to $60 range. Since I'm a family of 5, though, it would be enough of a savings to accelerate my trip planning.
on most, not all. spicejet.com, goindigo.in and goair.in are your friends.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Remember also that for all airports in India, you'll need a printed copy of your reservation/itinerary (must have your name on it). Otherwise you won't get into the airport.

If your plans change (inluding as a result of cancellation), make sure you get a new paper copy of your reservation.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Remember also that for all airports in India, you'll need a printed copy of your reservation/itinerary (must have your name on it). Otherwise you won't get into the airport.

If your plans change (inluding as a result of cancellation), make sure you get a new paper copy of your reservation.
no printed copy required anymore....just show them a copy of your reservation on your phone or tablet....
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Keyser
no printed copy required anymore....just show them a copy of your reservation on your phone or tablet....
While this is fine for say DEL or BOM, I would still be very wary at the smaller airports though! Had issues at ATQ last week with the iphone reservation. Thankfully I had a printed copy as backup.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by AJLondon
While this is fine for say DEL or BOM, I would still be very wary at the smaller airports though! Had issues at ATQ last week with the iphone reservation. Thankfully I had a printed copy as backup.
no problems in jai yesterday....
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:21 am

umm... i am not sure if i'd agree with that number. According to BLS the numbers are all over the map depending on who you fly...

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/press_releases/dot002_13

Spicejet though has had a higher cancellation rate or delay rate than normal...

http://dgca.nic.in/reports/rep-ind.htm

Click on flight cancellations on the left side..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.