Wiki Posts
Search

Jet has (almost!) lost their touch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Any effort to bring reason to the moderate the hatred is met with hostility.
WHAT?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Anish
Yes speaking of Jet.. Where can we hop around though? I fly over a hundred domestic Y flights a year and find a half decent alternative to 9W. (Please don't say AI, please don't.)
6E?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by hyderago
6E?
Well it'd be a shame to put all those miles to waste right? I manage to clock about 100k odd flying miles incl web check-ins etc in a year and I can squeeze out a couple of mile upgrades that I gift to family members or something.. Plus the upgrade vouchers help. Also 9W Plat/Gold has a decent set of benefits.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:04 pm

Well it'd be a shame to put all those miles to waste right? I manage to clock about 100k odd flying miles incl web check-ins etc in a year and I can squeeze out a couple of mile upgrades that I gift to family members or something.. Plus the upgrade vouchers help. Also 9W Plat/Gold has a decent set of benefits.
Hmm... well you could gradually phase in 6E. Like use 9W every now and then (when you think you have a good chance of op up) and 6E at other times. And the cash you save from 6E's cheaper fares could go towards gifts to yourself and your family.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by hyderago
And the cash you save from 6E's cheaper fares could go towards gifts to yourself and your family.
Hahah.. Well I don't pay for 90% of my flights but yes, that's a valid point!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Yes speaking of Jet.. Where can we hop around though? I fly over a hundred domestic Y flights a year and find a half decent alternative to 9W. (Please don't say AI, please don't.)
www.indianrail.gov.in
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Yeah if you can plan 20 days in advance and then spend 15 days of the month travelling.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lallyr
Yeah if you can plan 20 days in advance and then spend 15 days of the month travelling.
True. One has to decide how valuable their time is. Is it preferable to take the train and spend 20-40 hours on the train or fly without an upgrade.

In some cases train could be doable. Even DEL-BOM might make sense.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

The current flavor of the season, 6E, could be an option for those who travel economy.

But to those people who travel executive class (and thats what this thread was about), the only options out there are AI and 9W. I am discounting KF because of the unreliability factor and that they are no longer "major".

There is Go-Business, but one could argue that it is not a "true" business product. I used them once on CCU-BOM and they were nice. Extra seat which is not sold, but not blocked off the way they are when flying J-Europe. Also the availibility is not confirmed: you check at the airport and then pay the upgrade fee. If not available, you will have to travel in the cramped Y cabin with the rest.

Jet used to pamper its FF's and all that which has now gone. Their business class is becoming a sad joke certainly not worth paying ANY premium for.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Do tell! I may need to make a DEL-BLR-DEL day trip next week.
Ditto! I may need to make a same day trip later this month.

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
True. One has to decide how valuable their time is. Is it preferable to take the train and spend 20-40 hours on the train or fly without an upgrade.

In some cases train could be doable. Even DEL-BOM might make sense.
Or driving.
I've done that too to avoid carriers I don't like.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Or driving.
I've done that too to avoid carriers I don't like.
I suppose you could. Driving in India is very chaotic though. I wouldn't even think of driving DEL-BOM for example. If the distance is short enough for a drive, I would still prefer a train.
I Indians think the way they drive, haphazardly. :
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I suppose you could. Driving in India is very chaotic though. I wouldn't even think of driving DEL-BOM for example. If the distance is short enough for a drive, I would still prefer a train.
For me its a 40 minute flight or 6-8hrs drive.

Cost is the same.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

how does a discussion on premium class travel turn into a discussion on driving?

If driving or rail was an option for business travel, perhaps we could shut down all airlines eh?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ashishp
If driving or rail was an option for business travel, perhaps we could shut down all airlines eh?
driving or rail is often an option....when i was working in dc, i regularly had to go to ny for work....i hardly ever flew....instead i used to drive or take the train....

similarly back here in india....i have to go to allahabad pretty often & there is a very convenient train that departs delhi at 9:30pm & reaches allahabad at 7:30am the next morning....i often take that over the flight....

also, going to chandigarh or jaipur from delhi, i find it more convenient to drive....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.