List of "Taxes and fees" on 9W redemption tickets

Subscribe
Insanity! Sheer insanity. After I finally found a round trip J award from DEL-LHR-DEL on 9W and along with the 104k miles, guess how much the paid portion was? INR 52000!!!! Seriously!?

Anyways, after I calmed down, I thought maybe we could have a list of atleast the international routes on 9W and the "taxes and fees" charged for premium redemptions on 9W metal.

So, if people want to post their ridiculous redemption tax experiences, ideally in the below format with both one-ways and round trips, I will keep updating the below table:

as of
6/20/12 DEL-LHR-DEL 9W J INR 51328
6/20/12 DEL-LHR 9W J/F INR 17967
6/20/12 LHR-DEL 9W J/F INR 33362
6/20/12 DEL-HKG-DEL 9W J INR 21950
6/20/12 DEL-HKG 9W J INR 11335
6/20/12 HKG-DEL 9W J INR 10616
6/20/12 DEL-SIN-DEL 9W J INR 20791
6/20/12 DEL-SIN 9W J INR 10691
6/20/12 SIN-DEL 9W J INR 10101
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote: Insanity! Sheer insanity. After I finally found a round trip J award from DEL-LHR-DEL on 9W and along with the 104k miles, guess how much the paid portion was? INR 52000!!!! Seriously!?

Anyways, after I calmed down, I thought maybe we could have a list of atleast the international routes on 9W and the "taxes and fees" charged for premium redemptions on 9W metal.

So, if people want to post their ridiculous redemption tax experiences, ideally in the below format with both one-ways and round trips, I will keep updating the below table:

as of
6/20/12 DEL-LHR-DEL 9W J INR 51328
Does it imclude fuel surcharge? BA redemprion also comes with excruciatingly high taxes and fees. I have 360,000 widowed miles sitting in Executive Club.
Quote: Does it imclude fuel surcharge? BA redemprion also comes with excruciatingly high taxes and fees. I have 360,000 widowed miles sitting in Executive Club.
Yes! Jet follows similar, and at times even higher, fuel surcharges as compared to BA.

I would happily swap my 360k 9W miles for 360k more BA miles anyday.
Try redeeming from BRU or MXP.. Lower taxes and fares compared to LHR.
Quote: 6/20/12 DEL-LHR-DEL 9W J INR 51328
Good job AJ!

I think you should include a compare of the cash component required to fly the same routes using Jet points on partners.
Quote: Try redeeming from BRU or MXP.. Lower taxes and fares compared to LHR.
that's exactly what i do....flying out of lhr is crazy....for a little more i can get an economy ticket & upgrade using vouchers....
Quote: that's exactly what i do....flying out of lhr is crazy....for a little more i can get an economy ticket & upgrade using vouchers....
Unless you happen to be in or near Brussels, is it really worth it, all things considered?

The cost of getting from London to Brussels, plus the hassle of two flights and a connection compared to a non-stop. There might even be a hotel stay involved (I'm not sure if flights from Britain arrive in BRU early enough to make the Jet departures).

Surely it all adds up?
Quote: Unless you happen to be in or near Brussels, is it really worth it, all things considered?

The cost of getting from London to Brussels, plus the hassle of two flights and a connection compared to a non-stop. There might even be a hotel stay involved (I'm not sure if flights from Britain arrive in BRU early enough to make the Jet departures).

Surely it all adds up?
well, lets do the math....

in november this year my brother & i will be in london for a friend's wedding....he will be heading back to bom & i will be coming back to del....luckily there was availability to get a business redemption seat each from both lhr & bru to our respective destinations....

from lhr it will cost us a little over inr 34k each....so a grand total of inr 68k....

from bru it will cost us inr 11.5k each....add to that a Ł29 eurostar ticket to bru & €80 for the airport sheraton, this all adds up to a little under inr 34k for both....plus i'll be using e-vouchers for the eurostar tickets & points for my stay at the sheraton so my real cost won't be more than inr 25k for both....

but even without the vouchers & points, it does add up, but only to half....so we are taking the bru route....
Thanks for that. I never did that calculation myself, but there's definitely a decent enough difference.

I have no need to go to London anytime soon, but I am scheduled to go to Brussels later in the year. I'm going to have to look at redeeming my points on that. I need two tickets, but even if one goes through, that's a decent saving plus another chunk of Jet points used up.
Quote: Thanks for that. I never did that calculation myself, but there's definitely a decent enough difference.
if the difference was not much then i would not bother myself....but when i can save half then its definitely worth it....

Quote: I have no need to go to London anytime soon, but I am scheduled to go to Brussels later in the year. I'm going to have to look at redeeming my points on that. I need two tickets, but even if one goes through, that's a decent saving plus another chunk of Jet points used up.
del-bru-del is the most difficult sector to redeem on for business....economy is a lot easier but they almost always have just one seat per flight....

bom-bru-bom is easier....they sometimes have business or even first class redemptions available....

another point is that you should call them if you don't see any seats online....if i remember correctly, i have managed to get a seat by calling at least 3 times when none were showing online....
Quote: Insanity! Sheer insanity. After I finally found a round trip J award from DEL-LHR-DEL on 9W and along with the 104k miles, guess how much the paid portion was? INR 52000!!!! Seriously!?
Seems legit.

Taxes + fees = 1203.7 CAD
Quote: Seems legit.

Taxes + fees = 1203.7 CAD
Oh absolutely, it is perfectly "legal".

However out of that 1200, almost half i.e. CAD 548 is YQ, directly in Jet's pocket.

As a counter example, calculate the same route on Qatar J from DEL-DOH/x-LHR and compare the taxes and fees on the ticket.
Quote: well, lets do the math....

...plus i'll be using e-vouchers for the eurorail tickets
Thanks very much for detailing the BRU advantage.

May I ask what kind of "e-vouchers" can be used to defray the cost of EuroStar tickets?
Quote: Thanks very much for detailing the BRU advantage.

May I ask what kind of "e-vouchers" can be used to defray the cost of EuroStar tickets?
here you go:

http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/llp_homepage.jsp
Quote: Oh absolutely, it is perfectly "legal".

However out of that 1200, almost half i.e. CAD 548 is YQ, directly in Jet's pocket.

As a counter example, calculate the same route on Qatar J from DEL-DOH/x-LHR and compare the taxes and fees on the ticket.
It says CAD 540.8.
JN is also high.