Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Last min travel today:Houston IAH-HYD Hyderabad options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last min travel today:Houston IAH-HYD Hyderabad options

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Question Last min travel today:Houston IAH-HYD Hyderabad options

Hi,

I have to fly today from IAH Houston to HYD Hyderabad,India due to an emergency with a return 2 days after landing at HYD. I need 2 tickets for today.

So ,what are my options for this ? Emirates is sold out. Dont know what other options I have for the last minute trip. I prefer to land directly in HYD and not another Indian airport like DEL or BOM and then connect domestically.

I can fly from IAH to JFK and then connect from there if the airline is issuing the ticket as a single trip. Connecting in India is my last option if nothing else is available. But for such a last minute trip, what are my best options ? Thanks.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Air India isn't selling tickets on ORD-HYD, which would under normal circumstances be the most convenient routing.

With that in mind, your options are:

BA, MH, SQ, EY, QR

Keep in mind that flying out of a west coast gateway (LAX/SFO/YVR) might be faster/more affordable.

From the east coast, you have tons of gateways like YYZ, BOS, PHL, JFK, EWR, CLT, ATL, ORD, DTW, MSP, etc.

I'd recommend booking with a travel agent - they often have access to cheaper inventory even for last minute tickets. I can recommend you a USA-based travel agent if you wish.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Air India isn't selling tickets on ORD-HYD, which would under normal circumstances be the most convenient routing.

With that in mind, your options are:

BA, MH, SQ, EY, QR

Keep in mind that flying out of a west coast gateway (LAX/SFO/YVR) might be faster/more affordable.

From the east coast, you have tons of gateways like YYZ, BOS, PHL, JFK, EWR, CLT, ATL, ORD, DTW, MSP, etc.

I'd recommend booking with a travel agent - they often have access to cheaper inventory even for last minute tickets. I can recommend you a USA-based travel agent if you wish.
Hi, thanks a lot for the response. I can fly out of Houston IAH on whatever route I get. All international flights from IAH depart mostly in the evening. And , would appreciate if you could provide me the info about the travel agent.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A TA can easily look up or hook you up with bereavement fares, alternatively you can call the airlines. I know LH gives you 20-50% discount on the base fare. I would start calling the airlines.
Articles on the topic: http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2...nd-experience/

http://crankyflier.com/2010/07/14/wh...es-ask-cranky/
Old May 29, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Emergency does not necessarily equate to bereavement. Generally, people want to get to their loved ones before they pass away...
Old May 29, 2012, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the responses. Emirates and Qatar were available only in business and it was $6500 and up. Lufthansa also had only business.

I got the flight from IAH to Chicago ORD on AA and then connecting on Etihad . So IAH- ORD - AbuDhabi - HYD. The entire flight is issued on a single ticket. The return was for June 2nd and I got it on Emirates : HYD-DXB-IAH. The total roundtrip cost was $2800 in economy.

Thanks again to all. It was very frenetic this morning ; I am just about done packing and rushing to the airport. It would have been a bereavement fare-as I am rushing to attend a funeral- - but the paperwork for that would have be too long.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by deltheking
Hi,

I have to fly today from IAH Houston to HYD Hyderabad,India due to an emergency with a return 2 days after landing at HYD. I need 2 tickets for today.

So ,what are my options for this ? Emirates is sold out. Dont know what other options I have for the last minute trip. I prefer to land directly in HYD and not another Indian airport like DEL or BOM and then connect domestically.

I can fly from IAH to JFK and then connect from there if the airline is issuing the ticket as a single trip. Connecting in India is my last option if nothing else is available. But for such a last minute trip, what are my best options ? Thanks.
I hope you have also contacted a TA. People on FT are generally very knowledgable and can do a better job than a TA, they cannot make a decision for you. Since you have to leave today, time is short.
Here is what I have found
May 29th QR 78 DEP (IAH): 8:40 p.m. ARR(DOH) at 7:15 p.m
May 30th QR 250 Dep (DOH): 8:10PM Arr: (HYD) 2:55 a.m
June 2nd QR 251 DEP (HYD): 3:55 a.m.ARR(DOH) at 5:35 a.m
June 2nd QR 77 DEP (IAH): 9:00 a.m ARR(IAH) at 4:45 p.m
$3692.71
I dodn't know when you want to return. Return on other days maybe more or less, if it's available. That's why it's important that you contact a TA immediately. A Consolidator may give you a cheaper price.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:21 am

Thanks to all for the responses. Emirates and Qatar were available only in business and it was $6500 and up. Lufthansa also had only business.

I got the flight from IAH to Chicago ORD on AA and then connecting on Etihad . So IAH- ORD - AbuDhabi - HYD. The entire flight is issued on a single ticket. The return was for June 2nd and I got it on Emirates : HYD-DXB-IAH. The total roundtrip cost was $2800 in economy.

Thanks again to all. It was very frenetic this morning ; I am just about done packing and rushing to the airport. It would have been a bereavement fare-as I am rushing to attend a funeral- - but the paperwork for that would have be too long.
Firstly, my condolences for your loss.

Secondly, $2800 with a few hours notice isn't a horrible deal, although it seems a bit expensive - I've been able to get sub $2000 fares ex-BOS in similar circumstances, although prices were lower a year ago... Anyway, I'm glad that your travel plans worked out in the end.

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I hope you have also contacted a TA. People on FT are generally very knowledgable and can do a better job than a TA, they cannot make a decision for you. Since you have to leave today, time is short.
Here is what I have found
May 29th QR 78 DEP (IAH): 8:40 p.m. ARR(DOH) at 7:15 p.m
May 30th QR 250 Dep (DOH): 8:10PM Arr: (HYD) 2:55 a.m
June 2nd QR 251 DEP (HYD): 3:55 a.m.ARR(DOH) at 5:35 a.m
June 2nd QR 77 DEP (IAH): 9:00 a.m ARR(IAH) at 4:45 p.m
$3692.71
I dodn't know when you want to return. Return on other days maybe more or less, if it's available. That's why it's important that you contact a TA immediately. A Consolidator may give you a cheaper price.
Right, travel agents/consolidators are always the way to go for last-minute travel bookings like this, where getting a reasonable fare is of importance.

Perhaps we FTers should open a travel agency
Old May 29, 2012, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Emergency does not necessarily equate to bereavement. Generally, people want to get to their loved ones before they pass away...
Or they maybe going though suirgery and not close to passing away.

My condolences to you. I am glad that you found an itinerary. Bereavement fares do not always require paperwork upfront. You can produce documentation afterwards. After all, no one has death certificates in advance.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:26 am

Or they maybe going though suirgery and not close to passing away.
Right, exactly. I wish airlines would have some kind of fare accommodation for these situations too. Then again, if I'm starting on my wishes, they might as well give me F class tickets for free
Old May 29, 2012, 10:43 am
Suspended

One thing to remember about bereavement fares is that the cheapest fares, available on an airlines website, usually do not qualify for bereavement discount. Often, bereavement fare might not allow travel on on another airline. Rules may vary from airline to airline and also depend on whether the trip is domestic or international.
Some airlines have bereavement fares, and some give discounts off certain published fares.
Often, it's easier to just buy the ticket without the bereavement discount.
The 50% discount mentioned up thread is a very generous discount. I, personally, have not heard of such a discount. I bet, it's 50% off unrestricted Y fare.

Last edited by Yaatri; May 29, 2012 at 10:50 am
Old May 30, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Just FYI - Jet offers one-ways ex-USA, which are a pretty good deal in Y, and if you want to fly biz o/w, they also usually have them at half the ex-USA r/t fares of other airlines.

However, Jet's lower fare classes in biz are usually sold out.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 50% discount mentioned up thread is a very generous discount. I, personally, have not heard of such a discount. I bet, it's 50% off unrestricted Y fare.
I have helped folks to get a substantial bereavement discount of LH fares using a combo of RM opening up a lower booking class and then applying the discount. The OP mentioned that they didn't want to connect in BOM/DEL, so I didn't offer to contact LH for him.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just FYI - Jet offers one-ways ex-USA, which are a pretty good deal in Y, and if you want to fly biz o/w, they also usually have them at half the ex-USA r/t fares of other airlines.
i was initially going to suggest that but then the op said they didn't want to connect at an indian airport....

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
However, Jet's lower fare classes in biz are usually sold out.
i'm starting to believe that jet are just not loading them anymore....
Old May 30, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm starting to believe that jet are just not loading them anymore....
They are doing the same thing they do for awards now - pretend that they have full loads and only sell higher classes.

Then, T-24 hours they panic, seeing that this method of trying to wean biz pax from oversold/blocked SQ flights (if studying BOM-SIN-BOM loads) onto their aircraft doesn't work...

So the result is that they suddenly have availability in P-class last minute...as well as the ability to confirm upgrades and mileage awards on hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.