Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Sign in using an external account

Old May 28, 12, 8:21 am   #1

Upgrade awards on air india

I am looking for upgrading 2 adults + 1 lap infant on air india from economy to business on FRA-DEL route. Can anyone tell how many miles will be required ? And will I have to pay any taxes ? And how easy / difficult is it for the upgrade to clear ?

Any other experience on redeeming miles for upgrade on AI would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 12, 9:05 am   #2

Programs: AI Silver, OZ Diamond Plus, A3 Gold, UA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
I am looking for upgrading 2 adults + 1 lap infant on air india from economy to business on FRA-DEL route. Can anyone tell how many miles will be required ? And will I have to pay any taxes ? And how easy / difficult is it for the upgrade to clear ?

Any other experience on redeeming miles for upgrade on AI would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
I assume upgrades usually clear because it's very rare to see First or Business sold out.

For mileage upgrades, this should explain terms and conditions clearly:
https://www.flyingreturns.co.in/html...ia_flights.php
You have to scroll down a bit. These upgrades should be requested in advance through the Flying Returns call center IIRC.

For cash upgrades (at the airport):
FRA-DEL: http://www.airindia.in/SBCMS/Webpage...w.aspx?MID=23#
DEL-FRA: http://www.airindia.in/SBCMS/Webpage...w.aspx?MID=23#
Old May 29, 12, 1:18 am   #3

Thanks for your reply. However, it is not clear what kind of extra taxes needs to be paid for upgrade awards. I would assume that these taxes would have already been paid for with the economy class ticket or ?
oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 1:28 am   #4

Programs: AI Silver, OZ Diamond Plus, A3 Gold, UA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. However, it is not clear what kind of extra taxes needs to be paid for upgrade awards. I would assume that these taxes would have already been paid for with the economy class ticket or ?
Departure/arrival/airport/etc taxes and fees vary from class to class, so any difference would have to be footed by the passenger. Not sure what the specific tax differences would be on your route. Easiest way to find out would be to call Flying Returns and ask...
Old May 29, 12, 4:26 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Quote:
the taxes are a bit higher for executive class....if i remember correctly there was not too much of a difference....
Keyser is online now   Reply With Quote