Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Kingfisher flights cancelled as oil companies stop fuel supply [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Kingfisher Airlines saw flights delayed and cancelled this evening, after oil companies stopped supplying fuel to the airline because their bills have not been settled.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/si...-topstories&cp
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
it was bound to happen sooner or later....

vijay mallya has sold 42.5% stake in his f1 team to sahara for about $100 million....i wouldn't be surprised if he were to divert that towards the airline....
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:49 pm

Apart from the sick financial status of a once decent airline obviously, what really bothers me is that there seems to be a lack of transparency and communication from the airlines in India about any ongoing issues that impacts its passengers. Airlines in the US and Europe (are mandated to) report (real-time) on their websites any systemic flight delays or cancellations arising out of issues as diverse as weather conditions, technical issues or even union actions. In Kingfisher's case, all I see on their homepage are the tired, old "lowest fares" and "I take things personally" banners. People are expected to slug it out with the airline reps at the airports.. which is why the airports in India often resemble a circus/fight-club. I'm sure it would've been ugly (and deservedly so) at Chennai and Bangalore last night.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:11 am

I heard the passengers beat the IT employees too...
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by zenith2010
Apart from the sick financial status of a once decent airline obviously, what really bothers me is that there seems to be a lack of transparency and communication from the airlines in India about any ongoing issues that impacts its passengers. Airlines in the US and Europe (are mandated to) report (real-time) on their websites any systemic flight delays or cancellations arising out of issues as diverse as weather conditions, technical issues or even union actions.
I don't think any airline actively publishes that it has cash flow problems as this would drive customers away from booking.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:08 am

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Thumbs down

Wonder what is the plight of IT/BA code share flights?

Passengers dumped, fighting scenes at Indian airports??

With the airline in complete shambles, OneWorld should re-evaluate the possibility of IT's admittance again..

Dr. Mallya should simply discontinue operations rather than luring passengers to buy tickets with discounts (PR-stunt on IT's website this morning) when he simply cannot fly them!

Most of the domestic tickets on lower fare bucket are non-refundable, and have to wait till the last moment to see if the flight really takes-off!

Sure 5-Star airlines model lived only for a short time in India, and now the dream model created for wealthy MNC's & yuppies is down the drain.

Last edited by LH757; Oct 14, 2011 at 4:14 am
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by LH757
Sure 5-Star airlines model lived only for a short time in India, and now the dream model created for wealthy MNC's & yuppies is down the drain.
i don't think kingfisher was ever a 5 star airline....they were good when they started but were never a 5 star airline....it was all show, no substance....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:30 am

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Originally Posted by LH757
Wonder what is the plight of IT/BA code share flights?

Passengers dumped, fighting scenes at Indian airports??

With the airline in complete shambles, OneWorld should re-evaluate the possibility of IT's admittance again..

Dr. Mallya should simply discontinue operations rather than luring passengers to buy tickets with discounts (PR-stunt on IT's website this morning) when he simply cannot fly them!

Most of the domestic tickets on lower fare bucket are non-refundable, and have to wait till the last moment to see if the flight really takes-off!

Sure 5-Star airlines model lived only for a short time in India, and now the dream model created for wealthy MNC's & yuppies is down the drain (along with their financial scam & great futuristic visions).
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:50 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Keyser
i don't think kingfisher was ever a 5 star airline....they were good when they started but were never a 5 star airline....it was all show, no substance....
But it was one helluva show!

I still have several of those King First giveaways (including metallic plane shaped luggage tags, ties, scarves etc) that were handed out on every flight. As well as the quite fancy amenity bags that were handed out on even the shortest of DEL-IXC segments in J!

I also remember being served lobster in J on a DEL-BOM segment.

And of course let us not forget KF was the first to bring AVOD on domestics!

Sigh, bring back those days!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:35 am

it was bound to happen sooner or later....

vijay mallya has sold 42.5% stake in his f1 team to sahara for about $100 million....i wouldn't be surprised if he were to divert that towards the airline....
he has announced the the money is being pumped back into the F1 team
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manuc
he has announced the the money is being pumped back into the F1 team
i know he has....i'm a little skeptical though....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:05 am

i know he has....i'm a little skeptical though....
only a little skeptical? take it with a A380 (the one he has ordered) full of salt..... the timing of the deal seems to indicate otherwise

having said that, unsure how such a transaction would work due to the way the f1 team is owned through another company and partly owned by a dutch group

assuming that the stake sale is from mallya's stake, some creative accounting can easily handle the use of funds

anyway lets hope mallya pumps this money in the airline - the amount is far better spent in IT than in Force India (and this coming from a F1 fan!)
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:14 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
One thing that may work in IT's favour is Mallya's ego in that he might feel that he will "lose face" if IT fails humiliatingly. As he result excess capital from his other interests (UB group, Force India etc) might end up being pumped into IT.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How do you make a small fortune from an airline?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by armattheus
How do you make a small fortune from an airline?
That is quite easy: start with a large fortune.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.