FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   April Domestic travel - Is it Safe to book Kingfisher or JetLite ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1319179-april-domestic-travel-safe-book-kingfisher-jetlite.html)

praveen shabrish Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm

April Domestic travel - Is it Safe to book Kingfisher or JetLite ?

Hi,
I have booked international flight ticket from Chicago to Bangalore for April 12. My destination is however Coimbatore so I need to travel from Bangalore to Coimbatore. The only airlines which operate in this route are Kingfisher and JetLite. I heard that both these airlines are running under loss. Is it safe to book my flight in any of these airlines for April 12 or should i book train tickets ? In case the flight get cancelled will these airlines refund money ?

Comments/Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Praveen

ft101 Feb 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by praveen shabrish (Post 18100099)
My destination is however Coimbatore so I need to travel from Bangalore to Coimbatore. The only airlines which operate in this route are Kingfisher and JetLite. I heard that both these airlines are running under loss. Is it safe to book my flight in any of these airlines for April 12 or should i book train tickets ? In case the flight get cancelled will these airlines refund money ?

Pay with a credit card so that if things go bad, even if the airline can't/won't refund you the credit card company will.

troyb Feb 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wouldn't book Kingfisher right now - lots of financial troubles and unlike US carriers in fiscal trouble, I worry that they will skip out on some maintenance and it will catch up with them. Probably would be fine, but why chance it.

Jet Lite is fine

praveen shabrish Feb 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks troyb. I will book in Jetlite itself

Ocn Vw 1K Feb 29, 2012 9:21 pm

For more discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the Airlines of India forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Keyser Mar 1, 2012 10:07 am

Originally Posted by praveen shabrish (Post 18100099)
Hi,
I have booked international flight ticket from Chicago to Bangalore for April 12. My destination is however Coimbatore so I need to travel from Bangalore to Coimbatore. The only airlines which operate in this route are Kingfisher and JetLite. I heard that both these airlines are running under loss. Is it safe to book my flight in any of these airlines for April 12 or should i book train tickets ? In case the flight get cancelled will these airlines refund money ?

Comments/Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Praveen

avoid kingfisher....

there is nothing wrong with jetlite....book away....

Keyser Mar 1, 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by troyb (Post 18100454)
I worry that they will skip out on some maintenance and it will catch up with them.

stop worrying....that's not going to happen....

PVDtoDEL Mar 1, 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by troyb (Post 18100454)
I wouldn't book Kingfisher right now - lots of financial troubles and unlike US carriers in fiscal trouble, I worry that they will skip out on some maintenance and it will catch up with them. Probably would be fine, but why chance it.

The DGCA (Indian Aviation Regulator) is inspecting their planes and maintenance daily... There is no chance that Kingfisher will be able to get away with skimping on safety...

Mr. Bean Mar 1, 2012 11:52 am

Welcome to flyertalk, praveen. I would avoid booking on Kingfisher for the foreseeable future unless you have no other reasonable alternatives.

One caveat about booking on Jetlite (S2) in your case is that they will not honor the baggage allowance for international passengers unless the entire trip is booked on the same PNR. So in your case, you may be asked to pay excess baggage charges if your checked luggage exceeds the domestic allowance (20 kg).

On the other hand, Kingfisher seems to honor the baggage allowance of the international carrier (though I have not read any recent reports of this).

I would give thought to train or car options for the relatively short trip BLR-CJB.

hyderago Mar 1, 2012 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean (Post 18111742)
On the other hand, Kingfisher seems to honor the baggage allowance of the international carrier (though I have not read any recent reports of this).

Recentish report: In October 2011, my mom flew HYD-BLR (Kingfisher), BLR-CDG (Air France) and had no problem checking in two pieces on her first leg.

malgudi Mar 1, 2012 6:42 pm

Nevermind :)

Keyser Mar 2, 2012 12:35 am

Originally Posted by hyderago (Post 18113433)
Recentish report: In October 2011, my mom flew HYD-BLR (Kingfisher), BLR-CDG (Air France) and had no problem checking in two pieces on her first leg.

october is when jet changed their baggage policy so not quite sure what the other airlines are doing now....